Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

So thistledown herbicide is the same thing, I think, and seems to be easier to get? Both Clopyralid. I need something desperately to kill of thistles in brassica and winter wheat.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

So thistledown herbicide is the same thing, I think, and seems to be easier to get? Both Clopyralid. I need something desperately to kill of thistles in brassica and winter wheat.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Clopyrslid is the generic ingredient in stinger. Any brand or name is fine if that’s the generic. Winter wheat - u will need to spray separately with clethodim & crop oil…. I’d be doing that ASAP.

Has anyone ever used Stinger on their Turnips? What I keep hearing is not to use it on turnips, rape or radishes?
My buddy is the one that used it & brought to my attention. It’s labeled for brassicas so not sure where the concern is but I do want to dig in.
Follow label carefully
I’d feel comfy using it so far but want to go through more reading.

***OK…. I did some…..

*label on following page I posted - that label says it’s fine. Ill post link below.
Now- on a Rutgers University site on growing veggies…. Says stinger is “turnips only”. But I don’t know if they meant to say 1) “turnips (or brassicas) but not other vegetable types” or 2) meant “not radish, or anything except a turnip!”. ?
Personally think the 1st but want to make sure.
To me- the stinger label trumps it but I am not going to say to anyone else for certain. I have NOT used it myself but I’m digging on best facts we can find combined with personal accounts of using. Label link below. read it. Period. Solves this for yourself. I don’t want to see anyone hurting their plantings & the labels are our friends. Read this before u get it or spray so you understand…. Easy…. 2 important links.
Ruthers university on growing veggies: https://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/commercial-veg-rec/radishes-rutabagas-turnips.pdf

then, stinger label:

Checked mine today. BELOW PICS IS 3 DIFFERENT PLOTS. I thought 1 plot needed more clethodim & crop oil spray on volunteer rye but I didn’t. Last one roasted it & didn’t come in again like I expected.

My broadcast came in the worst. That was just due to when I planted…. Big dry spell. They are popping but likely be smaller.

No till- just love it. Lot of growth yet. Here’s few pics. I’ll try and make a quick video later- I took some video of brassicas, corn, Dbltree mix, etc. I’ll post vid later.
87518FB6-CE74-46C8-84F5-F30A46A5916E.jpeg
CCA53E6F-65B7-485A-8106-804453397CD9.jpeg
6CFE0648-76BC-41B8-A51E-B10EA3E27BDC.jpeg

Backyard brassicas for my families viewing pleasure. This was timber 4 months ago. I was able to water it during the drought and went a lil crazy with the fertilizer. Planted July 29.

My 4 year old is working on becoming a deer whisperer. ;)

Just fun to watch em. Probably will never get "hunted"

Screenshot_20210908-072906_Gallery.jpg

I did a little brassica patch at home this year, probably about 1/10 of an acre. The first pic below is from last night...it is looking good and there are deer tracks in it, so they have found it. The second pic is about a week old now and is taken from the house, you can see the road in the background. The plot has filled in nicely since even when the first pic was taken.
Home_brassicas1.jpg
Home_brassicas2.jpg

Backyard brassicas for my families viewing pleasure. This was timber 4 months ago. I was able to water it during the drought and went a lil crazy with the fertilizer. Planted July 29.

My 4 year old is working on becoming a deer whisperer. ;)

Just fun to watch em. Probably will never get "hunted"

View attachment 121310
Damn those look nice!! You'll have volleyball sized turnips in that patch.

Was up at the farm yesterday and brassicas are doing a lot better, basically sat dormant for a month after planting. Did notice little holes in about all the larger leaves on the turnips and radishes. Should have took some pics. Anybody know what this is from? They’re about 1/4-1/2” holes. Please don’t tell me army worms! Lol

Was up at the farm yesterday and brassicas are doing a lot better, basically sat dormant for a month after planting. Did notice little holes in about all the larger leaves on the turnips and radishes. Should have took some pics. Anybody know what this is from? They’re about 1/4-1/2” holes. Please don’t tell me army worms! Lol
Not army worms. If u for army worms- be nothing left.
very common…. Dunno what it is…. Random plant eating bugs that I see every year. Ur fine. If a guy did get them bad or wanted be fussy- could hit with permethrin Or bifenthrin.

Yeah I figured they’d be toast if army worms. I’ve noticed in years past the tiny holes in the leaves but this year seems worse. Tops are getting big but not much for bulb size yet.

FWIW...one question that is asked every year is when to plant brassicas. I do agree that for maximum bulb growth and assuming some sort of normal moisture situation that late July/early August is the best time to plant. BUT...I have many times planted brassicas later than this and had, perhaps not optimal, but still very good results. Below is a picture that I took last night of a brassica plot that I put in at my house, essentially, part of the front yard. :)

I planted this on Aug. 20th and have not had a lot of rain on them since that time, but as of last night the field looks very good and is pretty much knee high. So...once again, in my experience, all is not lost if you can't get your brassicas in at the optimum time (late July)....you can still have a solid crop even when planting later, just probably not at the max level of production that you would likely realize by planting in late July.

Where moisture is very short...I personally would rather plant them in front of a rain as late as late August v. in the dust with no rain in the forecast in late July. The deer, which due to where we live, are not hitting it hard yet, as they have plenty of other food options now. I know they will "get on" these a lot more once the other "easy" options are consumed. I really enjoy pulling into the driveway daily and seeing this awesome looking plot. Next year...I am going big time! More plots at home, etc. :)

Attachments

• 092821_Home_Brassicas.jpg
    092821_Home_Brassicas.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 207
I thought this might not turn out well. Always reminds me that brassicas can handle a lot if they get a tap root down & on good soil - or not torn up. This was no till. Got in stand - pleasantly surprised. When they did get rain- went nuts.
2303EC35-B0C8-4261-BE4C-B1FFF26884C6.jpeg

45146963-B28D-4AFF-99DB-A03EC635FEE3.jpeg

Harrumph...I now have learned that Army Worms have a taste for brassica plots. I surveyed a couple of plots yesterday that were looking very good at one point and are now 99% dirt. It appears to me that these dastardly crawlers hit all of my rye/oats/peas plots too, but that I am getting some, as in 15%'ish, regrowth on the rye, but my 2021 brassicas are pretty much toast. Dang it.

I am just learning about these pests for the first time this year, but they appear to have not impacted any milo or EW, so at least that survives. But suddenly I am looking at a lean year for the plots, I just hope that this winter is not as tough as last winter. All neighbors that I am aware of experienced similar problems, the food supply in this area could be an issue this winter.

Harrumph...I now have learned that Army Worms have a taste for brassica plots. I surveyed a couple of plots yesterday that were looking very good at one point and are now 99% dirt. It appears to me that these dastardly crawlers hit all of my rye/oats/peas plots too, but that I am getting some, as in 15%'ish, regrowth on the rye, but my 2021 brassicas are pretty much toast. Dang it.

I am just learning about these pests for the first time this year, but they appear to have not impacted any milo or EW, so at least that survives. But suddenly I am looking at a lean year for the plots, I just hope that this winter is not as tough as last winter. All neighbors that I am aware of experienced similar problems, the food supply in this area could be an issue this winter.
Some additional info, for those that are curious about the impact of army worms...

I have one brassica plot that has some stuff left growing, but apparently only turnips and no radishes. Although I cannot be sure because there were about 30-40 days in between when I last saw healthy plots in early Sept to when I surveyed the sickly plots in early/mid October...I have either bare dirt where there once were thriving brassicas OR one of my plots does still have some turnips still growing, albeit small ones. So it left me thinking that they either skipped over some turnip plants and/or I got some additional growth in the turnips after the army worms did their thing. The biggest turnip bulbs I saw were golf ball sized, with a couple of tennis ball sized, most were large marble sized. I should have been seeing softball sized on up.

I am getting a little rye growth in most areas, but I couldn't find a pea anywhere. At any rate, despite all kinds of work, and money, invested in food plots this year, I have very little to offer the local deer herd this year. To the extent that I am aware, all nearby neighbors experienced the same...I plan on hitting the woods with the chainsaw much earlier than normal this year to get some browse down for them.

That's a bummer to hear Dave. I wonder if previous crop termination type or timing impacts Army Worms? Like slug outbreaks in no til soybeans drilled into green rye? Timing of termination vs new crop planting. Til vs No Til, etc..

May be able to drill some rye this late and at least get some greenup food come spring.

That's a bummer to hear Dave. I wonder if previous crop termination type or timing impacts Army Worms? Like slug outbreaks in no til soybeans drilled into green rye? Timing of termination vs new crop planting. Til vs No Til, etc..

May be able to drill some rye this late and at least get some greenup food come spring.
My limited understanding of all things army worms goes like this...this hopefully was a one time, fluke occurrence and not something that could have been prevented, nor is it likely to reoccur. The frost/winter temps will kill them all so there will be no carryover this far north. The hurricane related winds carried the moths from the south to the midwest, etc, in August and once there they laid their eggs and for the most part they hatched out in September, when they then creamed lawns and crops all over Iowa.

I could find no fresh evidence that they were still around, but the damage was impossible to miss...unfortunately.

Curious what people are doing for spring and summer when rotating a brassica mix and rye/wheat/oat mix? So the spring/ summer following fall planted brassica and rye etc strips (i.e. rotating the doubletree mix strips). Do people let the rye go and deal with its tall growth/residue later, or would you terminate it all the following spring when it starts getting tall and do something like an annual clover or buckwheat from spring until fall planting the brassica and rye rotation? I could see some real benefit from the rye early green up the following spring but feel it would be a jungle mess of plant residue if left until fall. Also, most likely don't have no-till drills so would be more curious on what others are having luck using that rotation

Top Bottom