Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

These were just popping the surface a week ago today.

Attachments

• 20220821_135002.jpg
    20220821_135002.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 142
Iowabowhunter I am trying the same method as you this year spreading Brassicas seed into rye thatch. (Only I have not been lucky with rains since planting) There is some coming up. This is is going to be my new way of planting Brassicas. Curious to how you will plant your winter rye mix at the end of this month? I have been keeping the plots going into this mix sprayed so nothing growing on them, thought about spreading seed and then taking a rake harrow over it, or is it better to just spread that before a good rain?

Iowabowhunter I am trying the same method as you this year spreading Brassicas seed into rye thatch. (Only I have not been lucky with rains since planting) There is some coming up. This is is going to be my new way of planting Brassicas. Curious to how you will plant your winter rye mix at the end of this month? I have been keeping the plots going into this mix sprayed so nothing growing on them, thought about spreading seed and then taking a rake harrow over it, or is it better to just spread that before a good rain?
I plant winter rye in only one manner regardless of situation. I load it in a 3 point spread and broadcast it 40' at a time. Rye is basically bulletproof. It will grow on concrete.

Can I broadcast 20-10-10 onto 6 week old brassicas with rains in the forecast later this week? I dont want to burn them. I know Urea needs rain within 24 hours but this is not Urea based it was just a general 20-10-10 and the 20 was Ammonium something based.

Can I broadcast 20-10-10 onto 6 week old brassicas with rains in the forecast later this week? I dont want to burn them. I know Urea needs rain within 24 hours but this is not Urea based it was just a general 20-10-10 and the 20 was Ammonium something based.

If it’s AMS (Ammonium Sulfate) based, you’re good. Some 20-10-10 mixes are Urea based so you just have the check the tag.

Not to mention if it’s AMS based, you’ll get the benefit of sulfur as well.

Thanks. It seems like a certainty we’ll get rain within the week and I have time tonight. I know that’s not how it works with urea but I’m almost positive it’s AMS based as you said.

Just a FWIW update...I have planted some brassica and deferred on planting some too, waiting for rain. We have had essentially no rain for about a month now on my farm and the results, or lack thereof, show it. I see very little germination at this point. The brassica planting window is still not fully closed yet, but it is now late enough that maximum bulb production is not going to happen, at least IMO given my experience.

I am still watching the forecast and will try to get some more seed down in front of some rain when it comes...but here pretty soon I will start shifting towards more rye mix, etc, or even a heavier mix of radishes v. turnips where I do go with brassicas. Oh well...neighbors are in the same boat and the deer certainly aren't starving. But we still need to take does aggressively in our area.

Just a FWIW update...I have planted some brassica and deferred on planting some too, waiting for rain. We have had essentially no rain for about a month now on my farm and the results, or lack thereof, show it. I see very little germination at this point. The brassica planting window is still not fully closed yet, but it is now late enough that maximum bulb production is not going to happen, at least IMO given my experience.

I am still watching the forecast and will try to get some more seed down in front of some rain when it comes...but here pretty soon I will start shifting towards more rye mix, etc, or even a heavier mix of radishes v. turnips where I do go with brassicas. Oh well...neighbors are in the same boat and the deer certainly aren't starving. But we still need to take does aggressively in our area.
It’s frustrating for sure. See, you guys should have listened to Al Gore on his global warming movie ;).
My farm had some of the lightest rains for august across state. Very little. Only areas germinating are: bottom soils (organic matter/moisture) & areas with lots of mulch on top able to be drilled through. So- lesson: plant in best soils in right spot as possible. Or build up that OM with Dbltree rotation.

IF IF IF we get some soakers soon & u are loaded with Nitrogen- u will have a plot. If those things don’t happen - be thankful for the Dbltree cereal rye blend that has plenty of time & sept rains will make it lush.

Does a night/early morning heavy dew help brassica at all?
I "think" it does
Yes, if u have a mulch to hold it. Possibly with high organic matter. Mulch like “straw” or rye stems - possible yes. Low OM or majorly exposed soil- no go.

• Deleted by 6Popes1Booner
  • Reason: 2 of the same
Show…
First time planting brassicas here in Ohio. Planted way to thick. Planted July 17th because we were going to get rain.Will these not get bulbs because they’re so thick?
606F0CA9-12B1-44F0-BF60-5B59A6BE9CAC.jpeg

First time planting brassicas here in Ohio. Planted way to thick. Planted July 17th because we were going to get rain.Will these not get bulbs because they’re so thick?View attachment 123022
They will get bulbs.
Planting too thick on brassicas will for sure make smaller bulbs BUT,…. If you loaded it with plenty of N - they naturally outcompete eachother to thin the stand. Your stand looks pretty good. If it starts getting any “lighter green” than it is or u want to really make sure there’s no issue: go add some urea right before a rain or treated urea anytime. Maybe not needed but worth mentioning
Bottom line: that’s a heck of a nice looking plot that deer are gonna love.

A couple questions:

Can you spray clethodim on brassicas that just germinated or would it be best to wait a couple weeks for them to get more established/bigger?

With spraying clethodim people talk about adding AMS - I'm guessing that is ammonium sulfate. Can someone help me out on what/where I need to buy and how it's supposed to be added/mixed in the tank (backpack sprayer).

Anyone know of where I can get some treated urea in central Iowa? I've called co-ops in Indianola/Winterset/Osceola and they only have untreated and one of them doesn't have any. If I have to go the untreated route, what is the longest it can be on top of the soil before rain?

Thanks!

A couple questions:

Can you spray clethodim on brassicas that just germinated or would it be best to wait a couple weeks for them to get more established/bigger?

With spraying clethodim people talk about adding AMS - I'm guessing that is ammonium sulfate. Can someone help me out on what/where I need to buy and how it's supposed to be added/mixed in the tank (backpack sprayer).

Anyone know of where I can get some treated urea in central Iowa? I've called co-ops in Indianola/Winterset/Osceola and they only have untreated and one of them doesn't have any. If I have to go the untreated route, what is the longest it can be on top of the soil before rain?

Thanks!
Spray cleth any time.

You want crop oil with cleth.

For future... AMS is ammonia sulfate. For backpack I would buy liquid replacement to avoid clogging. (Normal AMS is granular)

How much treated urea you wanting? May be able to assist....

• Deleted by deerhunter93
Show…
Top Bottom