Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

Spray cleth any time.

You want crop oil with cleth.

For future... AMS is ammonia sulfate. For backpack I would buy liquid replacement to avoid clogging. (Normal AMS is granular)

How much treated urea you wanting? May be able to assist....
Good deal, thanks for the info!

We have about 1.5 acres that need it so not too terribly much.

That rain last week got my brassicas growing incredible!

Attachments

• 20220903_082743.jpg
    20220903_082743.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Deleted by deerhunter93
Show…
This years Big and Beasty!! Drilled July 19th . Half Inch rain Since planting .. drilled in to beans that got crushed added no fertilizer . Little bit of weeds but Ton of food . After this year no till for me.
34414c723aeab07a62c22c94e3cf209a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

August 27th, 2022

3" of rain the night after planting and they're off to a great start!

Disced and packed in this years Dbltree mix on the left, with the Brassica planting on the right coming in well.

Aug 27.jpg

Sept 5th, 2022

More rains, more growth! Impressive considering we were full on 100+ degree drought for 6 straight weeks this summer. Had to break sometime!

Sept 5.jpg

Sept 16th, 2022

Dbltree mix on the left, Brassica mix on the right. Lots of recent rains, just in time for the season. Time to hunt!

Sept 16.JPG

August 27th, 2022

3" of rain the night after planting and they're off to a great start!

Disced and packed in this years Dbltree mix on the left, with the Brassica planting on the right coming in well.

View attachment 123183

Sept 5th, 2022

More rains, more growth! Impressive considering we were full on 100+ degree drought for 6 straight weeks this summer. Had to break sometime!

View attachment 123184

Sept 16th, 2022

Dbltree mix on the left, Brassica mix on the right. Lots of recent rains, just in time for the season. Time to hunt!

View attachment 123185
Crazy how fast things can rebound from looking “rough” to LUSH!!! Still time to grow - ur gonna be sitting great. Excellence right there!!!!!

I wa (THIS CLOSE) to redoing my brassica plots this year after planting about July 25th.
Planted in bone dry soil.
Had horrible germination.
Finally got some good rains and now they look incredible and the deer are POUNDING them!

Is this weekend (Sep 24th) too late for Clethodim and weed control to help? Some of our new no till plots this year have a bad grass invasion coming in due to the initial burndown not being as effective on the drought ridden dormant plants. The brassicas have been the slowest growing out of any year we have seen still only a few inches tall over a month after planting, so they weren't able to get ahead.

The grass really bounced back to life only in the past couple weeks but has come back with vengeance and we were not able to spray this weekend due to the rain. Wondering how much the grass competition really matters if we have good moisture and the brassica roots dive deep for nutrients and moisture. I mean think about the weeds that grow in my yard! Haha maybe naive.

With a shorter growing window left I'm questioning whether I should just leave it, but I know brassicas grow really fast so would like some input. I have seen deer transition to grass pastures late season (not saying ideal but they do out of necessity)

Here's the two worst plots (no close ups was just positioning a trail cam):
IMG_3789.PNG
IMG_3790.PNG

Is this weekend (Sep 24th) too late for Clethodim and weed control to help? Some of our new no till plots this year have a bad grass invasion coming in due to the initial burndown not being as effective on the drought ridden dormant plants. The brassicas have been the slowest growing out of any year we have seen still only a few inches tall over a month after planting, so they weren't able to get ahead.

The grass really bounced back to life only in the past couple weeks but has come back with vengeance and we were not able to spray this weekend due to the rain. Wondering how much the grass competition really matters if we have good moisture and the brassica roots dive deep for nutrients and moisture. I mean think about the weeds that grow in my yard! Haha maybe naive.

With a shorter growing window left I'm questioning whether I should just leave it, but I know brassicas grow really fast so would like some input. I have seen deer transition to grass pastures late season (not saying ideal but they do out of necessity)

Here's the two worst plots (no close ups was just positioning a trail cam):
View attachment 123186View attachment 123187
Yes. Spray it. Probably in neighborhood of 14-16 oz of clethodim & labeled rate of crop oil.

We still have probably 20-30 days of brassica growth. Radish especially grows extremely quick.

Last edited:
Nice!

I planted DER,Radishes and PTT. about a ¹/3rd of each in a mix.
Do you guys see the deer eating them equally? Of do they prefer one over the others?

Nice!

I planted DER,Radishes and PTT. about a ¹/3rd of each in a mix.
Do you guys see the deer eating them equally? Of do they prefer one over the others?
DER?

I plant PTT and groundhog radish. Deer seek out the Radish as soon as they come out of ground and eat them until they are gone. PTT is more of late season food.

This years Big and Beasty!! Drilled July 19th . Half Inch rain Since planting .. drilled in to beans that got crushed added no fertilizer . Little bit of weeds but Ton of food . After this year no till for me.
34414c723aeab07a62c22c94e3cf209a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F-N-A Right! Big and Beasty should be his name. Looks like he's givin you a wink LOL! Good luck

What's the reason for no der?
I skip it as well. It’s good early season but peters-out the fastest of the 3 IMO & seems to have a bit less attraction. Plus no big food source like big bulbs of others. If I add in anything - it’s AG-canola seed. High oil canola. PTT & radish are just fine for 99% of folks though. Adding DER sure is fine too though…, splitting hairs to be honest.

IMO - Rape is the oats of the brassica world. Quick tonnage for early season :D

Radish seems to be best mid season, with the bulbs on PTT being a late season attraction.

Mix all three and you have a great all season brassica plot! Why the FF Big n Beasty mix is so popular - A great mix of all three.

Good to know. Thanks.
Depending on how our late season pans out ,north west mn., which can vary,
My brassica plots will get hammered untill the snow gets deep.
I can have 100 deer on mine (kidding) but winter sets in, it's a mass migration to the nearest sugatbeet field. Even if it's 5 miles away and they will stay their till spring melt..

Top Bottom