Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas ?

FarmlandQDM

I will be planting a food plot of rape, kale, turnips, and possibly sugar beets in late august. Does anyone have suggestions as to what variety of each these grows the best and is most preferred by deer in SE Iowa.

Farmland - I've decided to go with 2 fall plantings.

Plot 1. Turnips and Rape - I plan to have these planted by this weekend. Through much research I've found the optimal planting time to be late July, the seed rate should be 4-5lbs per acres and planted with triple 15 or triple 19 fertilizer.

Plot 2. Planting around Sept 1 - Combination of Buck Forage Oats and Rye.

What is everyone else planting?

I put in Rape late this summer. It is a little patchy but overall I am very happy with it. My suggestion would be seed it heavy. The areas I did look the best. I am also going to put in an acre of rye around the end of august.

Onecam - What variety of rape seed and turnip seed do you plant?

Waukon - What variety of rape do you plant?

I will be planting rape, turnips, kale, and possibly sugar beets but I would like to know what types of rape seed etc. that people have planted here in Iowa and have had good luck with. I have heard of kestrel kale and dwarf essex rape but I'm not sure what to get yet.

I'm using Drawf essex rape and for turnips I'm trying Barkant, purple top and Appin. I'll keep you posted on how it's going.

I planted oats,milo,rape, rye and winter wheat. I am going to plant turnips this weekend if weather allows. My corn and beans are a favorite with the deer right now. My clover needs mowed but things are looking good so far.

disk it, then cast it...it will grow. i am going to grain drill it this weekend to see if it comes up any different.

The couple spots I intend to plant brassicas in this year are timber soils with a pH probably somewhere between 5.0 to 6.0. I'll be doing a soil test so I know for sure. What pH do I need to be at for brassicas?

For optimum results you want to be
6.5 - 7. Otherwise you'll produce fine at 5 - 7.

When you buy your seed, your dealer or manufacturer can answer your question in more detail.

Has anyone tried any name-brand cool season forage mixes (tecomete, biologic, etc..)

I buy all of my seed from a local feed store, and I'm still curious if anyone has noticed the difference besides PRICE.

A few intelligent people told me that they use the store bought seed for their small plots and use the other seed for their main plots.

I would love to hear from anyone who has tested the differences in seed companies and results.

BT

cornfield,

I disced, harrowed, spread seed then cultipacked in several plots and it is coming up nice. Since I had a few thin spots in my corn food plot I just walk around with my spreader and broadcast the seed on top of the ground after the last roundup spraying. It came up well also. Last year I had a large turnip grow in my gravel driveway where I must have dropped some seed. It seems to grow about anyplace you eliminate the competition.

Top Bottom