Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

BrewCrew scores

PMA Member
_utf-8_B_SU1BRzAxNTguanBn_.jpg

He will tell the story!

He needs to post the story! He can't post pics from his phone so thats why I get tasked with it.

Sorry, I didn't get this on here sooner.

Fan Tricked T3 bird

I hunted first season and the weather was weird right after our big rains. I wasnt having a hard time finding birds, i was having a hard time trying to get past the deer. They were everywhere, out in the fields during all the prime time, so doing a fan stalk was proving to be a little more difficult then usual.

On Tuesday afternoon (710 pm) i decided to try a new spot and as i walked in over the hill in the crp field i had deer running every direction but I noticed a few turkeys about 150 yards out, head up staring up at me. I was lucky enough to crest the hill with the fan over my face so they forgot all about the deer and went back to feeding. I crawled up to the first terrace I could and when I looked back at them they were already on their way. I gave four soft yelps just for encouragement and the lead bird broke into strut and increased his waddle. As I got ready I realized he was doomed so I wanted to test out my patience with this fan trick.

In comes the bird to shooting distance doing his strutting run, 30 yards, 20 yards, 10, 5.... My patience was now gone. I didn't do what I wanted to do which was hit the turkey in the face with the fan and then go point blank so I pulled the trigger at 5 steps (720 pm), and the tom's head flew back like a sling shot and he was done. By far the tightest pattern I've hit a bird with as it didn't even flop, it kind of kicked its legs when i turned him over to look at the spurs though. All in all it was definitely a memorable hunt for how short it lasted.

One thing I've noticed since I started using the fan is that I've shot a lot less 2 yr old birds. Groups of jakes love it but 2 yr olds have been the least likely to duo with it, although it does happen occasionally with the right bad attitude bird. This bird ended up weighing 22.8 lbs, 10th 1/4 beard, and 1 1/8, 1 1/4 spurs. Either a 3 or 4 yr old, not really sure. Good luck to everyone.

Thanks for the replies guys

Last edited:
Top Bottom