Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadcasting Switchgrass Question

shooter72

We recently drilled some CP25 into a worked crop field. We have now decided we want to plant some switchgrass in this field, however we no longer have a drill available to use. My question is, can I still broadcast switchgrass into the loose soil. I understand that it is not stratified and will more than likely be dormant until late next spring. We plan on mowing the field throughout the summer. My fear is that the seed may be ate or rot prior to next spring if I plant now.

I feel my options now are:
1. Broadcast now into the loose soil.
2. Frost seed early next spring into the mowed CP25.

Thank you for your help in advance

Option 2 is a no go as it will be shaded out and ur competing big plants that had a year that will be 2' tall by time switch germinates.
This year could work. It won't rot. I'd for sure do option one and hope for good germination rates. U could try and stratify the seed yourself or just see what happens. Worst case- u will get some to germinate. Keep on the mowing as the switch will be last thing u planted to germinate. For example, when I do solid switch with atrazine, geez- sometimes it's not until July that I notice it coming up. Go for option one. Be nice to find some year old viable seed or stratify it but I'd go for it anyways.

I think I'm going to try to broadcast the switchgrass soon. Last question: I have read that year old switchgrass seed will break dormancy. The switchgrass that I purchased has a test date of May 2015. I assume then that this switchgrass would be a year old. Does this mean I can broadcast it workout going through a stratification process? Is frost seeding mostly beneficial only if the seed is less than a year old as far as stratification is concerned?

Switchgrass has a hard seed coat. Thick, hard, however you want to look at it. What solves this issue, like in nature, the seed falls off the plant late fall or winter. Sits in soil where freezing & thawing with moisture break down this tough seed coat. Without it, could it still germinate? Sure. To what degree- depends on the soil, conditions, weather, moisture, how the seed was taken care of previously, etc. Year old seed may simply have a lighter or more degraded seed coat, in theory and actuality. I still frost seed year old seed. But, at this point, don't "get in the weeds" on the "what if's".... Just plant, go a little heavier on your rate and take care of your seeing with proper maintenance and you likely will have a great planting if we don't have a drought or flooding. Good luck.

Top Bottom