Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadhead Shooting

D

deerman

Wanted,feedback on my broadhead delema!!I just went from a recurve to a compound bow.The arrows are 2 times faster,and I believe less forgiving.What type is best?And does a guy have to line the blades up with the vanes?I was told I will need to reset pin sights too.The compounds seems to be more tecnical but,I do believe a guy gains an edge.Thanks!!!

No the blades don't need to be inline with the fletching.
I won't start a debate on fixed or mechanical heads. But, will say I've been using NAP Spitfire Pro Series 100gr. for four years. They fly almost exactly the same as my field tips out to 50yrds. (I'll shoot 30yrds on game aminals)
Muzzys and Thunder Heads are both very good. I've found heads with shorter furrels are less prone to plaining off a faster bow.
The solid two blades popular with traditional bows don't do well a high speed.
Bow tuning is much more a factor in the arrows flight, so don't just focus on the arrow. As of late you see alot of guys going to light arrows. I'd stay up toward a 500gr (total) arrow weight, especially if you use a mech-head.
Switching from a recurve to a compound is like switching from a shougun to a rifle. If that makes sence to you. Shooting form is very differnt in the two.
Good luck. Hope that helps.

Another thing you should consider is a mechanical release and a peep sight or at least a kisser button, since you won't have your familiar anchor point.
Okay,you could still shoot fingers.

[This message has been edited by scout (edited 09-26-2001).]

I'll ditto scout's endorsement of shooting mechanical broadheads. I too have been shooting them for 4 years and find they fly virtually identical to fieldpoints. I suppose they wouldn't be quite as effective at penetrating a shoulder blade on a marginal hit, but the more consistent flight makes the chances of a marginal hit much smaller. If you can hit 'em in the boiler room, most any broadhead will do the job. Mechanical heads should NOT take the place of proper bow tuning however.

I've shot 3 different mechanical heads...all with good luck. The Wasp Jackhammer, the Spitfire scout spoke of, and this year I'm using a mechanical head made by Cabelas with excellent aerodynamics. All in 100 grain fly virtually identical to field points.

I HAVE TO AGRE WITH HADWIN ON FIXED BLADES. EXPANDABLES DO WORK, BUT THE POUNDAGE ON YOUR BOW SHOULD BE 60 POUNDS OR MORE. SECOND, A BROADSIDE WELL PLACED SHOT IS MORE IMPORTANT WITH EXPANDABLES. I HAVE LOST 3 DEER AND 2 GOBBLERS WITH EXPANDABLES AND AM SICK ABOUT IT. FIXED BLADES HAVE NEVER LET ME DOWN. WASP,THUNDERHEADS,ROCKETS ARE AMONG A FEW EXPANDABLES I HAVE PUT ON THE BACK BURNER. ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAS A NEW IDEA IN THE REVOLUTION EXPANDABLE, THEY OPEN BACKWARDS UPON IMPACT. WHY DONT YOU GIE THEM A TRY. SUPPUSED TO BE A LOT LESS ENERGY LOSS WHEN HITTING AN ANGLED SURFACE. M350 OUT

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES!!!I have heard alot of good things about Muzzy.My bow is set at 51-pounds.And I did select carbons.I have killed about 20 deer over the years with46 pound recurve so I thought 51 is good for me.A fella told me he used mecanical heads til one time shooting big doe at close range the blades did not open.I was going to try them til I heard this.I wish I could still use the old steel Zwicky's 2 blade..MON. is almost here,and I need to make my mind up.Well,whats left of it.

Deerman, See what you got your self into. Come back, it's not too late!
grin.gif

While you are on the subject mechanicals, are they reusable? BH's seem pretty expensive to throw away after one use these days.

Have a good season gang.......

Don't be fooled into believing that mechanicals are the only way to go. No offense guys, I just have never used them. I shoot Thunderhead fixed blades and have not had a problem as long as the bow is tuned and the correct arrow is used. I agree with using heavier arrows for better flight. My friends and I have found heavier and straighter aluminums fly quite a bit better than the light carbons.

I confident that I'll kill a third deer with the same broadhead and arrow combo. (Spitfire/SST)
I bent a furrel on a pass through after #2 the second year I used them.
They have an excellent factory edge and resharpen good.
The only thing I don't like is the tiny screw that holds the blade in can back off more that aoyone would expect.
I was bear hunting and found one actually fell out! while in camp checking my gear. I found one other screw that was loose. I had an extra screw and replacement blades along. Never a boyscout but agree... "be prepared"

Top Bottom