Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadheads for Elk?

Jgamet

I'm going out West this year for an Elk trip and curious what others have used for broadheads? I'm usually a mechanical guy for whitetail but leaning towards using a fixed blade for Elk. My main concern is finding one that flies like a field point.

I used a Montec G5 to kill a cow elk in NM. 9 yard broadside heart shot, pass through, maybe went 50 yards.

Another vote for G5. It is all I use for whitetails and they zip right through - I’m only shooting 58 lbs. They also shoot just like a field point. My upcoming elk hunt is a rifle tag, but next year with any luck I’ll be doing an archery elk hunt, and will use my WT set up.

I would give the Quad Exodus a try. They are scary sharp from the factory, and fly just like field tips out of my Bowtech Insanity. I tried 3 or 4 different heads when I was trying to decide, and the Quad Exodus hands down flew the best. 1 1/4" cutting surface and a hard chiseled head. I will be using them this year on my elk hunt. Lots of guys on other hunting forums have had good luck with them.

Slick trick viper tricks were great for me. 35 yds right thru.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ive shot Elk with Muzzy Trocar HB and the did a nice job. Complete pass thru and dead elk. Ive shot a lot of deer with the same broad head and usually watch them fall in sight.

I'm going out West this year for an Elk trip and curious what others have used for broadheads? I'm usually a mechanical guy for whitetail but leaning towards using a fixed blade for Elk. My main concern is finding one that flies like a field point.

I'm heading west for archery elk this fall too, curious why would you move away from mechanicals? I plan on using chisel tip 2-blade rages, it's hard to move away from something that's worked so well

Same as whitetail- Ramcat or Iron Will worth a look. Very popular on elk but that’s what I use on whitetail. I shoot 1.5” ramcats that fly like field points. I have zero reason to shoot mechanicals at that point. Worth a look.

I'm heading west for archery elk this fall too, curious why would you move away from mechanicals? I plan on using chisel tip 2-blade rages, it's hard to move away from something that's worked so well
I moved away from rages because of lack of pass thrus and seen some bent blades. I moved to QAD Exodus and will not look back to expandable. I'll dig through my phone but the deer I shot during gun season had a rage stuck in him. The blades were so bent and ruined it couldn't even finish cutting out the last bit of muscle and hide.

I moved away from rages because of lack of pass thrus and seen some bent blades. I moved to QAD Exodus and will not look back to expandable. I'll dig through my phone but the deer I shot during gun season had a rage stuck in him. The blades were so bent and ruined it couldn't even finish cutting out the last bit of muscle and hide.
Maybe it's your bow? I cant remember ever not getting a pass-thru. Last year at 55 yards zipped right thru. My point is I have zero reservation about killing an elk with a rage and was wondering why the OP would want to use a fixed, less accurate wind drifting BH. Everybody has their own opinion

Maybe it's your bow? I cant remember ever not getting a pass-thru. Last year at 55 yards zipped right thru. My point is I have zero reservation about killing an elk with a rage and was wondering why the OP would want to use a fixed, less accurate wind drifting BH. Everybody has their own opinion
You asked why someone would, I gave a reason. For many elk aren't an every year target animal and moving parts with thin blades coupled with thicker ribs, hide and bodies in general would be a reason.

Some western states it is against the law to use mechanicals. In other western states that allow them some guides refuse to let you use them or you can't hunt with them. That speaks for itself.

No ,after what hunt i do or will go on in the future, ill be packing plain Jane muzzy 100 3 blades.
I don't shoot long distance so no advice how they shoot there but I've shot well over a hundred deer and perhaps 35 bear with them and can't say I've had on "failure.
I will not allow a mech head in my "camp"!!

There are several great broadheads for elk. I use 100gr Grim Reaper mechanicals and have several friends who love them on elk. G5 mechanicals are popular, too. Rage and, even Shwacker, are used frequently here in AZ. I've seen multiple busted ribs, including off-side ribs from shots beyond 70 yards with the G5 and Grim Reaper mechanicals. At the same time, fixed are just as regularly used and just as popular. Montecs, Muzzy, Slick Trick, and Trophy Taker (Shuttle T) are all very popular and effective elk broadheads.

Top Bottom