Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brush Honeysuckle

I’ll have to try Garlon. It almost seems like you do need something that stays around forever with bush honeysuckle though. This stuff loves to sucker back from roots years after it was “killed”, or “removed”. Would be nice to have an affective spray for the lower growing ones as pulling those just always just seems to lead to future suckers from little root pieces left behind.
Garlon/Remedy will take care of that. Try a basal bark appication of 1 part herbicide with 3 parts diesel. Dont need much.

Garlon/Remedy will take care of that. Try a basal bark appication of 1 part herbicide with 3 parts diesel. Dont need much.
So if I wanted to basal spray in a back sprayer 3 gallons of diesel to 1 gallon of say Pathway ? Basal I would like to try I have a load of it .

So if I wanted to basal spray in a back sprayer 3 gallons of diesel to 1 gallon of say Pathway ? Basal I would like to try I have a load of it .
I dont have experience with Pathway. I can tell you triclopyr works great.

Screenshot_20221204_115842.jpg

Screenshot_20221204_120021.jpg

I use the Harper cocktail for killing any and all woody species without translocation to nearby desirable woody species. Don't overspray or use with rain in forecast. Avoid getting it on ground if possible.
The cocktail:

Have an area of BH I plan to cut out this March…I’ll brush the Tordon on the stump after cutting it like suggested here but then what do you guys usually do with the shrubs/plants part that you cut down?

Have an area of BH I plan to cut out this March…I’ll brush the Tordon on the stump after cutting it like suggested here but then what do you guys usually do with the shrubs/plants part that you cut down?
I met with my district forester Monday. We toured the property and sounds like I'll be getting ride of mfr and honeysuckle once I've approved for cost share soon. Im excited to get started. I asked the same question, what do I do with the stuff once its cut. She suggest to just leave the plant carcus because once its cut and dies then other natives etc will start growing and the carcass of the honesuckle and espeically the mfr will help the natural stuff regrow without being nibbled on by deer, rabbits etc.

I believe I have seen evidence of Tordon translocating from where I applied it on mulberry trees/cut stumps to nearby pines. Either that or I have some dead and dying pines that I don't have a good explanation for...and they all happen to be right where ol' Daver cleaned up some volunteer mulberries and used Tordon to help that process. Harrumph.

I am not 100% sure...but before someone uses Tordon, I recommend a "deep dive" on checking to be sure that you cannot hurt your nearby good species when using it to control something like Bush Honeysuckle.

Top Bottom