Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brush Honeysuckle

Jbohn

Can Brush honey suckle be cut and sprayed (Tordon) in the winter say January or does the plant have to be actively growing. I cut and spray Locus successful using this method in the winter, I have about 10 acres I need to get to work on .. Winter time seems best time to me. I don't want to cut and spray if it will not be effective.

I read that they can be cut and sprayed year round but avoid doing it when the stumps are frozen.

I'm in Year 2 of a 13 Year War on honeysuckle, and yes tordon works in the winter, but I've only used it immediately after cutting the honeysuckle. This year, I'm experimenting with Tordon, diesel, and round up in a sprayer, because I'm trying to hit the bigger clumps of MFR while I'm out there and I wanted something in a sprayer and I didn't want to use full strength Tordon.

Spray as soon as cut. Maximum wait would be a couple days but spraying on fresh cut in winter is great. I'll use tordon, 2,4-d (which is a component of tordon) and roundup - just depends on what I got sitting around. I personally had issues with diesel screwing up my sprayers when mixing with other stuff but I'm sure others have solutions there. Cut and spray away. *careful with those herbicides - not good to get on u and also just be common sense careful around trees u want there. Common sense stuff.

https://www.keystonepestsolutions.c...laces-remedy-ultra-and-garlon-4-herbicide-200

I use this as a basal spray for Buckthorn. It works great all seasons. No need to cut just spray around the base of the "stump".

Triclopyr 4 Herbicide buckthorn killer basal treatment
Approximate use rate: 1.75-2.8 quarts per acre.
  • 1-4 quarts per acre for broadleaf control.
  • 4-8 quarts per acre for foliage treatment of woody plants.
  • 2 ounces per gallon of water for spot spraying with 1/2 ounce Surface surfactant
  • Approximate mix ratio, 1 quart Triclopyr 4 to 1 gallon Basal Oil for basal treatment, dormant stem treatment and cut stump treatment.
Adding a surfactant is recommended at 1/2 ounce (1 Tablespoon) per gallon or 1 quart per 100 gallon water (We offer Surface in our adjuvants section)

ACTIVE INGREDIENT:
Triclopyr: 3,5,6-trichloro-2-pyridinyloxyacetic acid, butoxyethyl ester . . . . . . 61.6%
INERT INGREDIENTS: . . . . . 38.4%
TOTAL . . . . . . . . 100.0%
Contains petroleum distillates
Acid equivalent: triclopyr - 44.3% -4 lb/gal

1 gal diesel, + 1 quart. Triclopyr, $35.0

I have a friend in the tree removal business. When necessary, he uses Garlon..... it seems to kill any woody plant. Dead. Forever. Doesn't take much.

The Triclopyr 4 that I recommended is the same thing as Garlon, just a generic form. I second Garlon.

Garlon is good stuff. Have to make sure the stumps or bark are somewhat dry or it will effect kill when using as a bark spray. Bush honeysuckle is shallow rooted. If they are a half inch or smaller in diameter I just pull them if the ground is not dry or frozen. Easy to spray with roundup in the spring as the leaves are some of the first to come out. Easy to do in the fall also but I don't like bumping deer at that time.

I read that they can be cut and sprayed year round but avoid doing it when the stumps are frozen.
I would assume stumps being frozen would mean if it's 20 degrees next week end not a good time ?

Yes Tordon RTU is effective in freezing temps. It has antifreeze in it. We used it all the time during winter. If you buy it in a 2 1/2 gal jug it's called Pathway. Lot cheaper that route.

Has Anyone tried Pathfinder II says it a basil spray kind of pricey but effective on Brush Honey suckle figured it would be good on small plants . Does basil spraying work when plants are dormant say March ?

I'm in Year 2 of a 13 Year War on honeysuckle, and yes tordon works in the winter, but I've only used it immediately after cutting the honeysuckle. This year, I'm experimenting with Tordon, diesel, and round up in a sprayer, because I'm trying to hit the bigger clumps of MFR while I'm out there and I wanted something in a sprayer and I didn't want to use full strength Tordon.

What other methods have you tried and overall what's working that makes sense.. ? I sprayed some with 24d and diesel 1 year didn't kill it.

I carry a spray bottle of tordon when I'm cutting honeysuckle or MFR on my farm, cut and spray immediately. I cut a lot late fall and late winter and have had good luck with the tordon.

At work I manage a recreation trail that runs through some nasty wooded areas. We have been cutting and chipping honeysuckle in the winter, not treating the stumps. In April or May we spray crossbow on the new growth and then follow up in September or October to get what we missed in the spring.

Tordon has killed every single bush honeysuckle I’ve ever applied it to, at any time of year. Cut stump, apply with a paint brush. I wouldn’t spray this stuff. Any over spray is going to remain active in the soil for 2 years! Glyphosate is a waste of time and money for bush honeysuckle. It’s hit or miss. Appears to kill it, then it suckers back half the time. Tordon kills tf out of everything it touches and a 23$ bottle goes a LONG ways with stump treatments.

Tordon or Pathway I have always used , dead as doornail . I have heard different things on Garlon and Remedy some say yes some say no . I have never tried them . I have also heard Crossbow but never tried .

Awesome!!!
Ya- I’d stay away from tordon - too many other great options now! Tordon stays forever & like above says- moves. Agree on garlon.

Awesome!!!
Ya- I’d stay away from tordon - too many other great options now! Tordon stays forever & like above says- moves. Agree on garlon.
I’ll have to try Garlon. It almost seems like you do need something that stays around forever with bush honeysuckle though. This stuff loves to sucker back from roots years after it was “killed”, or “removed”. Would be nice to have an affective spray for the lower growing ones as pulling those just always just seems to lead to future suckers from little root pieces left behind.

Top Bottom