Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

BTR Philosophy

G

With the Beatty Buck discussion comes the BTR Philosophy of scoring whitetail antlers. Here is a link BTR Philosophy what's everyone think about the BTR Scoring System?

Lets give credit where credit is do, no gimmick. Call it what you will but antler is antler. If one buck grows more antler than another, what else matters. I don't care what record keeping organization we go by, even the best of all whitetail bucks can't read.

IAdroptine

I think we could do without any scoring system and big buck contests etc.....

A nice buck is a nice buck. The competition need only be the hunter and his quarry. The rest should just be enjoying the blessings.

Two organizations recognize symmetry and deduct for non-symmetrical points. They call this the perfect buck. They also measure the air between the main beams. I sure like a wide rack and think this should be part of the score. BTR says antler is antler, score it all, but don't score the air. I hope they continue to do this but I'll take my deer to the P&Y and/or B&C clubs 1st, BTR 2nd.

I also see nothing wrong with the hunter getting recognized for the harvest of a big buck and don't see it as a competition.

BTR...Why? too many catagories, too confusing, just too much. Honor the hunting tradition, keep it simple, B&C and P&Y are more than adequate.

More record catagories/books can only further commercialize hunting, increase leasing, raise the cost of hunting, and further decrease overall hunter numbers. BTR sounds like more of a marketing ploy/gimmick.

got to agree with sagittarius on this one.buckmaster called just the other day trying to sell me something. i guess jackie needs some more money to go on another trip or maybe he wore out his four-wheeler and needs a new one.i have enuff trouble finding money for my own hunting trips and why don't he walk like to his stand like 99.9% of all the rest of us do.did anyone ever hear P&Y or B&C clubs trying to sell merchandise?

I would have to agree with BW. I think a great buck is just a great buck know matter what it scores.

nrrick,
I get solicitations from B&C for clothes/books and memberships couple of times per year

I used to be an official BTR measurer ... BTR does NOT give full credit to all of the antler grown on the deer. If a deer has a circumference that is between two common base tines, they will not measure there and instead will substitute the previous measurement from the circumference right below it. Their reasoning is that with common base points, if you measure the tine lengths then measure the circumference between them, then essentially you're measuring the tine length towards the bottom of the base twice. I can see their point, but to me it contradicts their "full credit" philosophy. It's like any other scoring debate ... what do you give credit to, what don't you give credit to? And the debate goes on and on ....

Being a bit on the "mathematical" side, I suggest the only perfect way to compare one rack to another is by sheer volume. This would measure mass, tine length, width, etc. It would also be very easy to score, as all you'd have to do is throw the rack and skull cap into a large bucket of water (with graduated volume marks) and see how much water the rack displaces. Simple, easy and no controversy with the scoring technique. It is the only truly objective way to measure all racks - everything else contains some element of subjectivity on the part of the scorer. Just me thinking...Good Hunting!

Top Bottom