Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buck without his antlers.

gansomn

Just saw a buck without his antlers today, he was just a few feet away from the dog and two red holes in hes head. Looked around a little for the sheds but had to leave, maybe tomorrow. Saw another buck with just one side but could not tell if it fell off our was just broke.

Does anyone else feel a little diappointed about all this early shedding? I've heard of several incidents like this!!!

Disappointed to say the least. This early shedding is no doubt a side affect of the ice we have had. It will be interesting to see how geographically isolated this is. I had a friend in NE Iowa find 4 in his brassica plot this week. Stress of any kind is not what we want to see. In pen raised deer that is how they get them to shed their antlers by removing the feed for a few days. Another idea on this is as the internet brings us closer together and our network grows we will hear more of this just based on the amount of members we have looking and in the field. Time will tell how stressfull this winter will be.

After years of year round deer studies I come to believe that weather has nothing to do with early shedding. It's all about testosterone & photoperiodism.

This year the rut was earlier than we are used, mature buck where locked down around November 6th, about a week earlier than the average. Next year It should be a week or two later.

I have seen buck carry their antlers into April after severe winters where the temperatures got to -23 in January & we had 4' of snow & ice until late March. The only buck that shed early where subordinates, injured buck or dominate bucks that bread so much that they lost too much body mass & were stressed.

Bottom line is that buck will only shed early from stress such as a severe injury, the fact that there testosterone levels never peaked because of their subordinate status, the buck to doe ratio is close & most does were bred by mid November or the breeding season took it's toll on the major players. Temperature has nothing to do with it. Just my findings........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i am excited about it </div></div>

That makes two, but I'm not a late ML hunter...if I was my opinion would be different.

I saw 4 really nice bucks in my area this past weekend. Sure wish I could have seen them during shotgun or bow season...especially one of them. He was a good one.

Well I hope a few will still have them left on their head . I'm about to go on vacation . I have only been out once . Been working to much again .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 203ntyp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After years of year round deer studies I come to believe that weather has nothing to do with early shedding. It's all about testosterone & photoperiodism.

This year the rut was earlier than we are used, mature buck where locked down around November 6th, about a week earlier than the average. Next year It should be a week or two later.

I have seen buck carry their antlers into April after severe winters where the temperatures got to -23 in January & we had 4' of snow & ice until late March. The only buck that shed early where subordinates, injured buck or dominate bucks that bread so much that they lost too much body mass & were stressed.

Bottom line is that buck will only shed early from stress such as a severe injury, the fact that there testosterone levels never peaked because of their subordinate status, the buck to doe ratio is close & most does were bred by mid November or the breeding season took it's toll on the major players. Temperature has nothing to do with it. Just my findings........ </div></div>

Good post. Watched a show on this earlier this year. If the doe to buck ratio is too high then the bucks usually will keep antlers longer as the testoserone levels will remain high when there are does still in estrous. With all the does being shot and small bucks being let go the last 4-5 years it doesn't surprise me that we will see a trend of earlier shedding.

It makes me nervous. I have been hesitant to go late muzzle hunting because i dont want to shoot a Shed buck. Bow I wouldnt worry as much because you could prolly see the red marks but muzzleloader pokes out there a bit.

One says the ice has something to do with the buck dropping his antlers early, another says weather has nothing to do with it but injury and sexual frustration does. In my opinion you are both using the keyword STRESS.

A lot of deer in the northern parts are adapt to the weather and we can conclude that our winters aren't enough to stress them to the point of death or extreme feeding frenzies. But from the half racks and shed bucks I have seen so far this year it seems to be two and half to three and half year old deer. Not so much the oldest ones or the youngest ones. But that middle aged class deer in Iowa hasn't seen a good winter yet. Although this winter hasn't been the worst in the past 5-10 years it has been pretty hard on a deer that have only been alive for the last two, which if I remember right were pretty suttle. Deer and turkeys right now are as hungry as I've ever seen them. Which means the ice, the snow, and the cold temperatures are keeping them moving which keeps the weight off and they have to work harder by scraping for their food. IMO weather plays a very important role in stress and stress is a very important role in shedding.

Thats just me though.

Check the archives. Each year around this time there is a volume of posts concerned about early shedding, and warning late season hunters to beware. Then, like clockwork, there will be just as many posts by frustrated shed hunters in March talking of so many bucks "still packing". Sort of funny to watch over the years. IMO, it's just the natural turn of events, but doesn't vary all that much from year to year.

NWBuck

I have to admit I did see an extrodinary number of bucks that had shed out early this year, I usually come across one at most during late muzzy but there I would have killed to see one still holding horns during the late muzzy season. I know we have had winters like this in the past and it didn't seem to play a huge role, although I can't remember the last time we had the ice right as the rut was winding down which I think added extra stress to highly stressed animals already. Hopefully, it doesn't impact the number of shed bucks shot but I have a feeling that won't be the case.

KRata

The re-formed bachelor group i shot my buck out of had one missing both sides and two others that had shed a single which was LARGER than either side of the one i shot (low 140's 8) on 12/26...one would have pushed 160 as an 8 if he had a similar left side...disappointing but it just means they'll be ridiculous next year come stick shootin time!

Bucks are still packing horns in SW Iowa. In the area I hunt (remember I said the area I hunt), bucks are still packing both sides. I do have a few shed bucks on camera, but 90% are still packing both sides right now.

Don't know if it has something to do with a higher buck to doe ratio, or with the abundance of food this year (alot of standing corn still).

Just read a report, it says that "at least" 99.9% of shed bucks have lost their horns. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom