Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Burnstrips for planting switchgrass

I am planning on frost seeding and or having switchgrass drilled in this spring and am trying to figure out how to create burn strips between where I've planted trees and where the switchgrass and miscantus grows or is being planted? How wide do you make these and what do you seed down in these strips? Also how wide do you make these if you want to create them around your timber if I'm planning on planting switch as a food plot screen.food plots aren't more than .75 acres so if you consider size of plot, the putting in burn strips and then switch the plot starts to become much smaller. Thoughts? Thanks

I am planning on frost seeding and or having switchgrass drilled in this spring and am trying to figure out how to create burn strips between where I've planted trees and where the switchgrass and miscantus grows or is being planted? How wide do you make these and what do you seed down in these strips? Also how wide do you make these if you want to create them around your timber if I'm planning on planting switch as a food plot screen.food plots aren't more than .75 acres so if you consider size of plot, the putting in burn strips and then switch the plot starts to become much smaller. Thoughts? Thanks
Commonly clover is planted as a fire break. But you can always just mow the edge of the switch closest to the trees and the fire will be far less intense. Or you could mow the edge and run a tiller around it a couple times and make a fire break that way. Several options here

Plant clover for your firebreaks. 10yards is adequate. Back burn by your new trees first. Less than one acres plots don’t really need a firebreak because you will want to maximize the plot size

You could also till the edge close to the trees. The exposed dirt will help slow the fire. Blackburn this area first. A leaf blower is a handy tool to insure the fire doesn’t jump your fire breaks

Top Bottom