Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Busted??? Advice?

seven twenty

PMA Member
So I decide to hunt a new area yesterday from the ground. I get in, get situated and start the wait. 30 mins in and I have a decent 10 coming from the east on a trail that passes about 5 yds fm me. At about 60 yds he stops and stairs right at me. This lasts for what seems like 5 mins but in reality was only about 30 secs. He then turns and trots back from the direction he came. Not really spooked but realizing something wasn't right. Thinking he had maybe winded me, (SW wind), I move about 50 yds to an area better suited for the wind. Within 5 mins I've got 3 deer coming fm the west. (wind in my face) I'm behind a tree that is probably 4ft wide and I'm watching through a "V". They are on a trail that will give me a 20 yd shot when they come in so I kneel down behind the tree and wait for them to pass. Soon, a 160+ class trots up and stops at 40yds staring at me. I do not move at all but after a few secs he snorts and bolts. I hear 2 more snorts as he is running off.

My question is: He couldn't have winded me so what stopped him? I am positive that I did not move and was kneeled down against the tree with a berm behind me.

I was wearing a new camo jacket. Could it have outlined me and gave me away. Some of the colors almost seemed like glow in the dark with the sun hitting just right.

I had him in the crosshairs at 90yds but couldn't get a good look at the rack. Knowing that there are a couple monsters in the area, I decided to wait and get a better look. Good ol' hindsight :)

How much or your face was showing between the V in the tree? Could be that he saw you. Was this an evening hunt? If the wind was in your face and it was a SW wind, was the sun shining on your face? Your face will be almost like a lamp if the sun is shining on it.

Lastly, you said he was 160+ and at 40 yards, but yet you couldn't get a good look at the rack at 90 yards? Maybe I'm missing something, but I would have thought the 40 yard view would tell you everything you needed to know.

Did they cross your "walking in" path? Have seen many times where your walking scent leaves enough to spook an adult deer…either buck or doe. Deer are unpredictable creatures, so get out there again, and chances are you'll have a decent opportunity.

NWBuck

How much or your face was showing between the V in the tree? Could be that he saw you. Was this an evening hunt? If the wind was in your face and it was a SW wind, was the sun shining on your face? Your face will be almost like a lamp if the sun is shining on it.

Lastly, you said he was 160+ and at 40 yards, but yet you couldn't get a good look at the rack at 90 yards? Maybe I'm missing something, but I would have thought the 40 yard view would tell you everything you needed to know.

I was kneeled behind the tree when he reappeared at 40. That "is" when I knew what I needed to know but couldn't move with him staring at my location. The look at 90 was as they were coming in. I don't think the sun was on my face as I was on the east side of the tree.

The coat was RedHead brand.

Went back today and got busted slipping in. They were up and moving at 2 o'clock. I think I'll give them a day or 2 before I try to get back in. Thanks for the replies

I was kneeled behind the tree when he reappeared at 40. That "is" when I knew what I needed to know but couldn't move with him staring at my location. The look at 90 was as they were coming in. I don't think the sun was on my face as I was on the east side of the tree.

Gotcha. Sounds like potentially swirling wind or something like that. Sometimes you just don't know. Good luck as you move forward!

Top Bottom