Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

BUSTED!(Judd Cooneys Side Kick/ Outfittin Partner)

THEBAD

I just took this from the Council Bluffs NewsPaper......
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=11099508&BRD=2554&PAG=461&dept_id=507134&rfi=6

This is Judd Cooneys Partner / Local Connection to Iowa....Makes you wonder about his outfitting stuff.

LOGAN - A Soldier man gave up his bow and arrows after pleading guilty to illegally taking and possessing deer.

State Conservation Officer David Tierney said in a plea agreement, Billy Ray Custer pleaded guilty to two counts of illegal possession of deer and was ordered to pay $3,294 in fines and damages.

In addition, his weapon was turned over to the Iowa Department of Natural Resources and his hunting rights suspended for two years, he said.

Under Iowa law, deer hunters are allowed one deer for each valid license and transportation tag.

Harrison and Monona County Conservation officers arrested Custer last November after observing him retrieve three deer he killed the same day with his bow and arrow.

Tierney said Custer had one valid tag for Monona County, but the deer were killed in Harrison County.

"All three were illegal, but the charge was reduced to two as part of the plea bargain," he said.

that punishment sure fits the crime. stuff like this will continue to happen until we as a nation make sure the penalty is stiff enough for illegal hunters. poachers should lose there hunting rights indefinately end of story.

mike

$3200? So $1600 each or if you really count all three around $1000. I'd think that a deer ought to be worth at least as much as the average cost of collision damage (~$2000), I'm sure this guy wasn't shooting does.

FYI--Judd hasn't been associated with Billy or Ruby for several years. He started with both of them when he first came to Iowa, and then just with Ruby for a few years at most. Then he went on his own. Judd had nothing to do with this.

Dave Tierney (CO for Harrison/Shelby) was aided by Gary Sisco (CO for Monona/Crawford) in the case. Acting on a tip they both waited until Custer returned to retrieve two of the three deer he killed the same day with his bow and arrow. The officers seized the two deer from the field and a third one from Custer's residence in Soldier, IA. The deer at Custer's residence had a Monona antlerless deer tag on it but the investigation showed it was killed in Harrison County. Custer didn't have a valid deer license for one of the deer in the field and failed to tag the other deer.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

Way to go Iowa COs and thanks Blind Sow for the additional information. Note that this all apparently started from a tip so pass along info to your conservation officers.

Everyone take note what Blind Sow said. [ QUOTE ]
Acting on a tip they both waited until Custer returned to retrieve two of the three deer he killed the same day with his bow and arrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

The key words here are "acting on a tip". I can't stress enough how much the CO's need our help in catching people like this. We all need to keep our ears and eyes open and not be afraid to call when we see something going on. Keep your cell's with and program officers numbers into them. With the shrinking DNR budget and less officers in the field this could be one of the most effective ways we can help. Lets face it, none of us like hearing about the poaching that goes on.

Now just out of curiosity would the "tipper" be entitled the $1500 reward? Or when does one become eligible for the reward?

How about this scenario:
I know a guy has a deer hanging in his garage without a tag on it. I call the CO and he investigates and finds it to be true. Would I be entitled to any reward, other than seeing the slimeballs name in the paper?

Pupster

i may be wrong but i think the reward is up to 1500, so you could get much less than that. Too me it don't make any difference to me what it is, i'd report it anyway and tell them to keep the money or donate it to a charity.....

Way to go DNR, poachers have no place in our hunting society, they are lower then a snakes belly, but i am curious about how the tip $$ program goes, are all founded tips rewarded with cash?? i personally wouldn't want the $$, but would rather give it back to the DNR for one of thier programs, anyone know how it works??
grin.gif

DAVENPORT

Man sent to prison

in deer-poaching case

A man who pleaded guilty of deer poaching has been sentenced to eight months in prison.

Kevin Chelf, 44, of Johnson County admitted shooting at least eight white-tailed deer on the grounds of the Iowa Army Ammunition Plant in Middletown, as well as deer in Scott, Jackson, Louisa and Johnson counties, court documents said.

Chelf was sentenced Wednesday in federal court in Davenport. He also must pay $22,500 in fines and restitution.

Chelf used camouflage to sneak across security fences onto the plant grounds, authorities said. He then hid the deer heads he took until he could safely retrieve them from the grounds, authorities said.

Now this is what should happen.
cool.gif

Do any of these people that are convicted ever get felony charges against them???Throw the book at them.Our conservation officers don't need this crap.

Top Bottom