Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Camcorder

Terrific_tom

Any one have any suggestions for a camcorder for family use and that I could use for filming while hunting. I am looking at 500 to 900 dollar range.
Thanks in advance.

I bought a canon vixia HF10 it shoots great video. The important thing is the video editing software. I have power director now the stuff that came with the camera just blew.

If you're wanting more of the handycam style, I would try to find one that has a manual focus ring on the lens (not just a small dial). There is a website that offers these for $50 to put on to your typical HD handycam, but they are only available for a number of products. May want to pick one on this list.

http://www.irvdesign.com/product/

I got a refurbed Canon HV20 a couple years ago. It is much like the HF10 but uses miniDV tapes rather than a flash drive. I like the fact that i can archive my tapes, and the video quality is just as good as a hard drive or flash drive with a little less expense. The HV30 and 40 are newer versions of what i have but you could find them in your price range and still have enough for a camera arm and fluid head, which i would suggest if you want good quality video. Throw a shotgun mic on top and your pretty much set. There is also a whole website forum dedicated to the HV20,30,40. Alot of good info there. HV20.com

The only drawbacks to my HV20 are low light filming and a lack of low light manual control, but it has worked for what i do anyway. Excellent video quality.

I have an Irv Design manual focus ring on my videocamera and it makes a world of difference with gloves on.

I wish i had more money to invest in a prosumer videocamera, but for now, my HV20 works just fine.
It's small enough that it packs in real easy. The videocamera and shotgum mic fits real nice in a plastic container. That fits in my backpack, and the camera arm straps to the back of my backpack.

DSC00094.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom