Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Canada?

Fishbonker

Life Member
I'm in a group of six intrepid adventures who are slated to head north July 25th. We are hoping like crazy that the border is open with out the two week quarantine. Time and politics will tell.

Anybody else in the same boat?

The only upside that I can think of is if we don't get to go this year maybe we can go twice next year.

The opener trip is for sure not happening which was the one I was going on. Even the later ones I'm skeptical on. Depends on Trudeau I'd guess, but alot are not optimistic. Have to think alot of those resorts will be hurting financially if the border closure extends past the 21st of June.

We just cancelled our trip for the 21st. Figured they would make us do the 14 day quarantine and as much as I would like to stay up there that long, not going to happen.

Son and I was supposed to bear hunt in Sask June 1st - 5th for his hs graduation but.... I booked it thru worldwide trophy adventures because they honor cabelas points. Talked to the guy and he wanted to just push it to 2021 and while I do want to bear hunt I wanted to maybe book an elk hunt this fall or something else instead. He's giving me the run around and now hasnt responded to my last 3 emails... Are you guys getting a refund if your trips cancelled?

A friend of mine goes up ever year, he just sent me an email stating that his rental cabin outfitter cancelled his trip in mid July. They said they do not expect the border to open in July, could go longer :( I miss fishing there, quite an experience and a blast.

Looks like the border is closed until July 21st now.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bor...r-KyZXU0jkviA0

Still a chance for me to go. We are supposed to head north on July 22nd. I'm not holding my breath. If the border does open our outfitter will be open for business.
I saw that. Those guys are taking a huge hit. The one resort owners where we have stayed in the past haven't been able to to get in either to do the typical renovations and get everything ready. I have a feeling there will be a number of resorts that don't survive this.

I have a feeling there will be a number of resorts that don't survive this.

I would agree. It's a very sad thing when someone loses their dream through absolutely no fault of their own. The camps, I assume, are profitable for the owners so I assume someone will step in and purchase the business. Or perhaps Canada will step in with some financial aid.

The whole deposit thing is getting a lot of play on a walleye fishing site I frequent. I'm not sure what our Travel Supervisor is doing with the outfitter about deposits. I'm OK with rolling it over because I plan on going next year, a couple of other guys in the group may not be able to go next year so I'm not sure how that is going to work out.

The Minnesota resorts-especially Northern MN... have been busier than normal. It saved many of them as they needed the business! The fishing has been good for crappie and walleye on most lakes.

Supposed to be up there for the week of July 25th as well. We were able to reserve a 2nd date in late August in case the July week ends up getting cancelled due to the border opening up, but afraid it will hit a point that some camps won't start up even if border opens up if it's too late in the season. Bonker, guessing we're reading the same threads on the same walleye site, lol

Border is now closed thru Aug 21st... sigh :(

I understand some of the thoughts on not spreading Covid, but this will crush the Canadian resorts. I would guess 75% of their business is American, and in some cases more, some less...but devastating!

I understand some of the thoughts on not spreading Covid, but this will crush the Canadian resorts. I would guess 75% of their business is American, and in some cases more, some less...but devastating!
Yup. Also starting to effect hunting guides and outfitters. They usually start guiding for Dalls in the NWT now.

Top Bottom