Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Canjo Buck

C

canjo

Trust your instincts; especially when in a new spot for the first time. After hunting a particular farm pretty hard and having a close encounter with a nasty 10 pointer my hunting buddy "The Coach" took me out to a new draw just west of my farm. Although this particular draw had yet to be hunted Coach had seen a few good bucks just a half mile to the west in a parallel draw.
The wind played out just right for this draw, so my climbing stand and I set out to try our luck.
The draw was void of ground cover as cattle had been grazing in there and there was not alot of sign. The draw kicked out of a nice timber and bordered a standing corn field. I found a suitable tree and got set up. After about a half hour things just didn't feel right so I decided to move further down towards the timber. Halfway down the tree I looked up and here comes a small 8 point coming right at me, talk about stuck in the middle of nowhere. Eventualy he scrammed and I got down. At that point I had about 45 minutes of shooting left. It probably wasn't the textbook move to relocate so late, but I just didn't feel right. I moved down to a pinch point where the deer, if they were out of the corn, would have to present a good shot.
As I got set up in my new tree, a doe stepped out of the corn 20 yards straight in front of me. I didn't even have a arrow nocked yet, and there she was right in front of me. I slowly got my arrow nocked and tried like heck to get a shot. I had been hunting hard and was looking for some freezer meat. As luck would have it she never gave me a shot. Then she snapped around and looked over her shoulder towards the standing corn. There he was, a nice tall 8 pointer coming towards her and more importantly, my way. I had no doubt he was a shooter. He followed her into a ravine 20 yards from me and off she went, and I was sure he was soon to follow. She must not have been in yet, because he left her and came my way. At 15 yards he is quartering looking my way. No Shot!! Can't draw. Thank god for that doe, because he decided to take one more look back at her.
I drew, settled my pin and let her fly. The hit was good, and not 15 minutes after setting back up in a different tree my bow season had come to an end. We are trying to get the pictures posted. 140+ inch eight pointer. My best to date. Sometimes our instincts are our best weapon.

Canjo's Buck!

Canjobuck.jpg

Great buck and great story to boot. How many times have you been successful, looked back, and wonder why you did something and how that played a role in your success. Awesome.

Canjo,

Congrats! Great story and great buck. Funny how "feel" can make the difference. What kind of climber do you have ... it must be pretty quiet.

Threebeards

Nice Buck!!!! Those does can certainly work for you, but sometimes against you........ the very night before I shot my buck, I undershot a doe right at the end of shooting light (hadn't filled my doe tag, and like you was anticipating some freezer meat).... 3 seconds later a very nice 10pt. buck is at less than 10yds broadside, while I have not nocked another arrow yet..... by the time I got another arrow, he was long gone chasing after that doe..... I lost some sleep that night thinking about taking that shot at that doe !!!!
frown.gif

Wow, what a great photo, I bet that cost a bundle to have taken. What's that you say, Coach took it.
beerchug.gif

I use a grand slam climber from api. It is pretty quiet, but there have been times it has been very noisy also. (Climber error, not stand) The more you use your climber obviously the better your routine becomes.

Thanks for the congrats guys, and good luck to all still in the trees.

Top Bottom