Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Can't Find Him...

Re: Need Some Help

Well, I can tell you if using dogs to track a wounded deer or one that hasn't been found then the DNR officer who helped me committed a crime!

this past nov I called in a giant 6x6 one morning.drew when he was 5oyda out.
he walked right up to 12 yards and I put a gold tip with a 2 blade rage in him.
watched as he ran away with it in him.looked to have gotten 10 inches of penetration.

waited 5 hours and started a slow search in the direction he went.
never found a drop of blood or a trace of sign.

we left and decided into come and hunt the morning and maybe the coyotes would tell us something?

the next morning the yotes were going nuts there....wow we got the buck right! wrong........after 2 more solid days of looking still nada?

could he have lived?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReleaseHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I can tell you if using dogs to track a wounded deer or one that hasn't been found then the DNR officer who helped me committed a crime! </div></div>

Pleases do tell.

If it gets to be last ditch and if you don't know this property like the back of your hand, get on Google Earth and find the place you shot him. Good chance it may lend some clues to thickets that are a little further distance away than you may have travelled so far. Look for cricks (if there are any) that he may have followed and then the thickest stand of trees you can see beyond where you've already looked. If there happens to be an isolated stand of pines, check that out too. That may save you starting back at the point of impact for a longer distance check. Maybe you can get in closer by parking elsewhere. Print the map and bring it with you.

you can use dogs to track deer as long as they are on a leash is what i was told.

I know that feeling. I took a shot at a nice buck very early Saturday morning. I was a couple of inches too far forward and hit him in the shoulder. No penetration, even though I am pulling 65 pounds and using Slick Tricks. I waited for an hour, and cautiously started looking. No blood, but I know the area very well and was able to follow his tracks in a muddy field. Found the arrow about a half mile from where I took the shoot, broken off right behind the broadhead, with no blood at all on it. No blood on the ground at all. I checked all the usual spots, with no luck. I hope and pray that he will survive and I tend to think that he will, but you just don't know for sure. Still some corn in, and I told the farmer if he comes across him, let me know.

This is the first buck I have missed in several seasons, and it just makes me sick. Hope the feeling goes away so I can get back at it. Right now I kind of feel like packing it in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kam582</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

This is the first buck I have missed in several seasons, and it just makes me sick. Hope the feeling goes away so I can get back at it. Right now I kind of feel like packing it in. </div></div>

I know EXACTLY what you're feeling right now. Evidently my posts in this thread were bad karma because I just lost a big buck I shot on Saturday night. Same deal, shot it in the shoulder. Got 7" of penetration though which I thought might be ok but the blood dried up after about 125 yds. Went back out today and stomped the piece out hoping for a miracle...didn't pan out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReleaseHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I can tell you if using dogs to track a wounded deer or one that hasn't been found then the DNR officer who helped me committed a crime! </div></div>

Pretty sure thats illegal in Iowa...but he was hunting in Missouri so I don't know.

I shot a 140 inch 10 last week and shot him about 6 inches low...I misjudged him at 30 yards and he was 38! I was hunting a stand that I was not familiar with the distances and it came back and kicked me in the ass! I busted his shoulder but didn't get into his lung cavity and after about two miles of tracking we lost the blood trial for good....Very very crappy feeling! I hope the best for you, and I hope things turn out better then they did for me....

Top Bottom