Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Car Harvest

DannyBoy

:(

This is the first car harvested buck I've seen so far this year... He was hit just 1/4 mile down the road from my folks place last Tuesday morning. Looked like a 3.5 year old. He seemed to be the first of many bucks who take a yearly journey from behind my house to across the street to fool around with the harem of does that hold steady to the same 80 acres of old terraced crp year round.
065-1.jpg

066-1.jpg

I live on the outskirts of Altoona (yes, home of Adventureland and Prairie Meadows) and there's a very healthy herd of deer that could be very huntable. This time of year it's not SO apparent, but during the late season they REALLY congregate. It seems they come from everywhere. There's all kinds of houses going up near where they spend most of their time, but it's no different than a lot of other urban hunts. Last winter during late muzzleloader season there were several occasions where I would watch 40+ deer all mingling around the outskirts of one of our newer neighborhoods.

Anyways, hopefully we don't see too many more of these.

I bet I have seen at least a dozen 1.5 year olds killed from Mason City to Waterloo in the past week. They are starting to move....

• Deleted by sep0667
  • Reason: fasdf
Show…
That's the water treatment plant off of 64th street, right behind the Campus. I went to SEP as well, graduated in 03... What's your name anyways?

Last edited:
  • Deleted by sep0667
  • Reason: affadf
Show…
Ah yeah, I use to see deer in there quite a bit but not as much lately. I don't think they go cross the street over there near as much with the way Venbury has been growing. I graduated from sep in 07, Sam Bricker. I tried some shed hunintg along that bike trail but didn't have any luck.

Come mid-December there will be a large herd practically living IN Venbury, you watch. Never fails. That bike trail goes through my folks backyard, and that area isn't worth jack anymore since it got paved several years ago. I don't see near the amount of deer I used to... Do you do quite a bit of hunting in the runnells area? I just gained access to a new farm north of town...waiting on some corn to get picked before I go in there. Looks like a good spot, we'll see!

How many kids do you have running around Iowa now?? 12, 13???

Dont you know kids eat free on Tuesdays.

• Deleted by sep0667
  • Reason: fadfds
Show…
Top Bottom