Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Casting coyote dogs

Windwalker

Life Member
What is the current law on casting coyote dogs ? With the rifle deer season monday. Can dogs be cast on land with no hunting signs posted ??

If casting coyote dogs means driving down county roads, looking for fresh coyote tracks to turn the dogs loose on, then last I knew it is a legal practice. Not sure what an open deer season adds to this mix.

But, that said, it really upsets me as a landowner. I have had confrontations with coyote hunters who do this. Why should your dog be able to run ground you don't have or can't get permission for? It reminds me of the trespasser who is "trailing a wounded deer" as his buddies block.

Lucky for the coyote hunters, few landowners feel this way. Just my $0.02 and I'd say I'm the minority.

I'm with you Bronc...minority or not, just don't get me started with the coon hunters too!!!!!!!!!!!

Darn! I thought this post was going to be about some kind of new hybrid sport involving hunting AND fishing...
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

There was a group of guys that would run dogs back around my old stomping grounds, all the landowners hated that mainly because the guys would have to run in there and pull the dogs out. More than one dog got shot by landowners as well.

We run dogs during late m/l and late does seasons, snow permitting but we only throw them on land that we have permission to hunt. Some landowners tell us not to hunt till after m/l and we respect that. And thank god it is finally snowing. Just told my wife that I'd better call my boss and tell him I wasn't coming in tomorrow, and got a smack on the back of the head. Better wait till the weekend.

Casting the dogs would run deer out for using a rifle for late doe season. Sooooooo whats the fine for hunting coyote dogs ?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Darn! I thought this post was going to be about some kind of new hybrid sport involving hunting AND fishing...
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was kind of wondering if it was going to be about taking the wife's foofoo dog out coyote hunting. Some people are having success by having their dog lure coyotes out into the open. I tip my hat to them. As if their dog is smart enough to know where to lure the coyotes so they can be shot, it is most likely smart enough to stay close to it's master.
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Casting the dogs would run deer out for using a rifle for late doe season. Sooooooo whats the fine for hunting coyote dogs ?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

SSS shoot, shovel, shut up.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

SSS shoot, shovel, shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Psssttt...watch out for those tracking collars though...
blush.gif

I try to get along with the yote hunters and most of them wait until at least after the first of the year and none would turn out while the antlerless season is open.

I have had some real problems with some very arrogant houndsmen but i think we have the situation under control after several vsits from a deputy.

Most coon hunters ask permission and i let them go if they let me have the first couple weeks of Nov. to myself.

They appreciate the chance to hunt and I don't have any problems with them.

Top Bottom