Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Central Iowa QDMA Inaugural Meeting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Timber

I'm excited to announce that the Central Iowa QMDA Branch will be holding their first meeting on Tuesday, September 28th. The meeting will take place at Larry Zach's studio in Ankeny and will start at around 6:00pm.
Dan Lokken, midwest rep. for QDMA will be attending and giving a small presentation/informative seminar on QDMA. I encourage anyone to come and afterwards we will be heading to Benchwarmer's for a bite to eat and some adult beverages.

I'm thrilled to finally get this branch rolling and I hope to see you all at the meeting. If you have any questions regarding the meeting or QDMA, feel free to PM me or email at iowaqdma@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Ryan Rasmussen

Thanks for posting the time and the place so people can attend. Unfortunately I can't make it that night but I appreciate the meeting info. If you could ask some questions to the QDMA rep. at the meeting and post the answers here, it might shed some light on the QDMA. I am a QDMA member, and really support their message, but before I would lend much of my time to developing a chapter, I would like to know more about them.

1. How are they structured financially. What percentage of their funds go to administration, to habitat projects, to education, to legislative action, etc.

2. If money is raised here in Iowa, how much or what percentage of the banquet profits do chapters get to keep and spend locally.

3. If chapters don't get to keep the money they raise, why not and where does it go.

4. I would like to hear examples of what other chapters have done, what kind of projects they are working on.

I believe QDMA could do some real things here in Iowa with money raised in Iowa. Putting on QDM workshops, cost-sharing whitetail habitat improvement projects and winter food plots, working with Hunters Education programs to introduce QDM principles to kids, lobbying our legislature, and funding CWD testing are some of the things that chapters could spend money on.

If they are structured like Pheasants Forever, which allows money that is raised locally to be spent locally for all wildlife, I'll be interested, but if QDMA is another organization that we will raise money for and then have to beg to get any of it back, I'll stick to reading their awesome magazine.

Either way, I'll be anxious to read your post as to what the QDMA rep has to say.

No Problem.
I will be glad to ask Dan your questions and I will post answers for you. I know QDMA only receives a portion of local money. I can't tell you exactly how much, but I will find out. I will have your answers posted as soon as I can. Thanks for the interest.

BT

Due to Hurricane Jean my Florida trip has been cancelled and I'll be there. Who else is planning to attend?

Outstanding,
Sorry about the trip OC but your company would be missed if you didn't show up.
The meeting will consist of a general overview of what QDMA is all about and meeting all the members of Central Iowa QDMA.

Regardless if you are a member or even interested in QDMA, it's worth the trip to Ankeny just to find out what it is all about.

And no, you don't have to own land to be a part of QDMA and/or participate in QDM.

Hope to see you there.

BT

In case some of you need directions we (Zach Wildlife Art) are at 641 South Ankeny Blvd (same as East 14th and Hiway 69) just north of Benchwarmers Sports Bar. Hope to see many Iowa Whitetailers there!
grin.gif

Old Buck

We had what I thought was a very productive meeting. Dan, the regional rep for Iowa seems to be a very down to earth guy who is dedicated to the qdm cause. He seems willing to do whatever he can to help.

To answer a few of the posted questions, most of the banquet funds raised end up in Iowa. Basically the chapter can spend it's share on whatever projects it wants to support. QDMA will offer suggestions if asked. I think the magazine reports on what some other chapters are doing.

Big Timber is a young, dedicated leader who has already put in a lot of work to get this chapter started. I am confident that through his determination and leadership this chapter will be a great success.

If you believe in qdm and want to be one of the pioneers who really get QDMA going in Iowa now is your chance. Want to give something back to the resource? Come join us! It is a fun group of people and a great cause.
grin.gif

The gallery is available for future meetings. Just not during rut! Benchwarmers was great for food and suds.
grin.gif

Old Buck

I would have to say that I learned a great deal last night by talking with some diehard hunters. It was great to talk some deer with a great group of people. Thanks for everyone for coming, and thanks again Larry for letting us use the gallery.

I just wanted to say thanks to all of those who made it out to the meeting. I think we have a better understanding on what needs to be done and the means of doing it. Dan Lokken, midwest regional director was very informative and took the time to listen to our questions and suggestions. I think our branch has a strong background in whitetails as well as management. We all share the same general ideas and concerns.
I also want to thank those that came out as non-members and left as QDMA members. We have nearly quadrupled the amount of members in the state of IA, which is something to be proud of.

I look forward to many meetings and social gatherings in the future. I don't think it will be long before we are successful in promoting our cause, and the memberships will keep climbing.

Special thanks to Larry Zach and Dan Lokken for all of their time and resources.

Big Timber

I second that. I thought it was a very good meeting. Many Iowans are already practicing QDM efforts in the areas they hunt, which is key in keeping the herd size manageable. The last thing i want to see is what Dan described in his neck of the woods of Wisconsin. So everyone go out and kill some does!! For anyone who is considering joining the QDMA I urge you to. The magazine is awesome and tackles many of the questions people have in this forum in every issue. Not to mention it curbs the jealousy of those of us who are business majors and it is too late to switch to wildlife. Damn i wish i was a whitetail biologist
mad.gif

It is when i am graduating in December...but no fear there is always Grad School...and with that comes more residency privilages...hell by the time i get out of here i should have my Ph.D, but no one can fault me at least i will have some nice deer on the wall..

Top Bottom