Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cereal Grains and cover crops

October 12th, 2013

The Truth is important to me, both spiritually and in everyday life, so when I open my mouth or let words flow onto paper I want those words to be truthful, factual and not opinion. To do otherwise opens the door to being made to look like a fool, and...no one hates that more then I.

We took over a new farm this past winter where the landowner was sure that hinge cutting would scare all the deer away and convinced that without soybeans he would have no deer. No greater skeptic have I ever met so our credibility was on the line to say the least,but like trusting Gods word I trusted in our tried and true habitat building blocks.

He was adamant that we plant at least some soybeans and since it all pays the same to us, we happily obliged, knowing full well what would happen. Jesse asked permission to sit in his blind and capture the truth on camera.

One field has beans, rye mix and brassicas...all other fields rye/brassicas and corn adjacent on neighbors land

As expected, one by one deer walked thru the beans...

straight to the lush rye/oats/peas mix

The beans are fully dried down and ready to combine

But other a quick nibble on the way thru, deer showed no interest in them

Keep in mind that these deer have never tasted the rye mix nor brassica mix...ever

In other fields deer came straight to the rye and oats

If they preferred corn or beans, both were only a short walk away

Deer came and went

Including from the standing corn

but not one deer left the green forage for the grain crops and I watched deer walk thru standing corn in December as well, going straight to the rye and brassicas

Make no mistake, eventually they will clean up any and all food sources but coons, squirrels, turkeys and a host of other wildlife will consume the lions share of the grains leaving nothing left to hold deer thru the winter into spring.

The rye/brassica/clover rotation provides more tons per acre then grain crops and feeds deer year around, not to mention building soil organic matter that grain crops rob from our soils.... ;)

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice, Kopu II, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover and/or crimson and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot...we use 50# each rye, oats and peas along with radish and clover seed all planted in half of each feeding area

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 50-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Frostmaster Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre

Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28 but for best results soil test and add only what is necessary.

Rotate the brassicas and rye combo each year

October 17th, 2013

Pics taken on 7th and 11th , planted 9-6, two 1/2" rains about 9-13/15 none before or since

Doesn't take much rain to get the rye mix up and growing

Even the peas are doing great!

Highly palatable, high in crude protein and very dependable in drought years

and most importantly...irresistible to whitetails!

Action will soon pick up on the cams...get one set on field scan and see what's feeding in your plots... ;)

From the look of things on our place I might not have put down enough Winter Rye seed. It's really pretty thin. Is there anything I can do now to "supplement" it, or am I just better leaving it as is? I'd throw some more seed down if it would do any good....????

Thanks.

Steve

From the look of things on our place I might not have put down enough Winter Rye seed. It's really pretty thin. Is there anything I can do now to "supplement" it, or am I just better leaving it as is? I'd throw some more seed down if it would do any good....????

Thanks.

Steve

I would leave as is at this point Steve

November 8th, 2013

Trail cams are so inexpensive these days that there really is no excuse for not having them on food plots to monitor deer numbers, time of day, crop species usage and as a general pictorial diary. Field scan mode allows us to get a broad view without a deer triggering the cam.

We can keep track of crop growth at various stages to help us form next years nutrient requirement plan, which may mean more, less or no additional nitrogen

Cams record what deer are eating at different times, note deer walk thru the brassicas to get to the rye/oats/peas combo

Be sure to place cams on the line between crop species, whitetails are creatures of the edge and will walk the line...

We use small steel posts and mount the cam to it allowing us the option of placing it where we wish

Bucks tend to be very nocturnal...

but cams reveal their presence

All kinds of things from weather, moon phase, dogs etc. affect whitetail movement so some days, field scan reveals an empty field which is why observation alone is unreliable. Cams however keep a silent, 24/7 vigil and record what is really going on and when

Cams don't lie and live deer utilizing habitat confirms that it's working and that takes the guesswork out of the equation

We use cams to cover food sources and hinged funnels in the timber, the combination of year around food sources and thick cover have been, for us and the landowners we work for...an unbeatable combination. Use your trail cams to keep an ongoing habitat improvement diary that will allow you to tweak your program and verify progress... ;)

Paul,
What Bushnell cameras are you using?
When you say steel posts which ones are you using?
Thank you.

Paul,
What Bushnell cameras are you using?
When you say steel posts which ones are you using?
Thank you.

Bushnell 119436C Trophy Cam 8MP Night Vision Trail Camera

Ebay best price but make sure it says...
Brand NEW !! Factory Fresh !! NOT refurb !!

and free shipping

Use lag for trees or 2 1/4-20 eye bolts for steel post attachment

November 22nd, 2013

Generally VNS (variety not stated) winter/cereal rye seed is less expensive and easily obtained, so we do not seek out named varieties. We purchase all our seed locally from Aaron Palm who owns Iowa-Missouri Hybrids in Keosauqua Iowa, and he offers both VNS and varieties that farmers grow for forage and cover crop soil building. This fall Aaron asked Jesse to test and compare Elbon rye and forage rye.

Elbon Rye Grain is a type of cereal rye. It is best adapted to the Southern and Central United States. It was developed and released from the Oklahoma Agricultural Station. Elbon Rye has excellent winter forage production and early maturity. It has large, soft stems and upright growth habit. The forage has high moisture content, produces plants which have more winter growth, are more erect, and are approximately two weeks earlier than Abruzzi. Elbon Rye is winter hardy and will grow rapidly during the warm periods in the cold winter months. Late freezes may injure the plant but it will usually recover and produce a seed crop. This variety was basically developed for high forage yield allowing grazing late fall thru early spring.

On the left is forage rye, planted at a higher rate so it appears thicker

Forage rye and oats were developed for haying/haylage more so then grazing and develop wide leaves and put on tremendous growth, good in heavily grazed areas but not so much with moderate to light grazing. Rapidly growing plants can become unpalatable if not kept in check by grazing whitetails.

In the test areas there is no preference and both forage rye...

and Elbon are being grazed heavily

Winter peas are the irresistible candy in the mix!

If deer don't eat peas...you don't have deer! Unlike late planted soybeans that die at first frost, these tender tasty morsels thrive in cold fall weather and with sufficient snow cover often survive till spring. Note the feathery leaves of hairy vetch seedlings, not a favored deer food but an outstanding source of nitrogen and organic matter...

Everything gets grazed, nothing is significantly higher then another...

Mixing legumes like peas, red clover and hairy vetch with the rye and oats not only provides a high quality food source, spring and summer but can also eliminate the need for synthetic nitrogen sources such as urea. Often the legume part of the mix is overlooked but including them can help avoid the hassle and expense of dealing with bags and allow for no-till planting where applicable.

We list general fertilizer recommendations, but always soil test every year in late winter to avoid over/under applying fertilizer/lime and for best results check micro nutrients as well. Many soil testing options but here is one we use:

Waters Ag Labs

Once nutrient levels are corrected they often can be maintained simply by using the crop rotations listed below. Crops like winter rye and forage radish help mine subsoil nutrients and the increased soil organic matter helps keep moisture and nutrients from leaching...a win win for landowners managing for whitetails. :way:

Alice, Kopu II, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover and/or crimson and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot...we use 50# each rye, oats and peas along with radish and clover seed all planted in half of each feeding area

Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28 but for best results soil test and add only what is necessary.

I am excited to start planting the dbltree rotation on my southern Iowa property next year. I was wondering, do you have a specific variety of oats that you would suggest to use (both following brassicas in the spring as well as with the grain combo in the fall)? Thanks for all of the information that you provide!

I am excited to start planting the dbltree rotation on my southern Iowa property next year. I was wondering, do you have a specific variety of oats that you would suggest to use (both following brassicas in the spring as well as with the grain combo in the fall)? Thanks for all of the information that you provide!

Most any common, VNS oats will do but I prefer Jerry oats if available

Paul- what if I don't want to rotate the grain mix to turnips , I like the grain they don't exhaust it, I planted 2 acres of Turnip Mix they are exhausted already.. If I don't rotate the grain mix will it cause problems I like it better than the brassica's, I do have some fields I plan to rotate but some I want to keep to grain. I know you like to plant in strips but my plots are small (2) acres and smaller. Thanks buddy

Paul- what if I don't want to rotate the grain mix to turnips , I like the grain they don't exhaust it, I planted 2 acres of Turnip Mix they are exhausted already.. If I don't rotate the grain mix will it cause problems I like it better than the brassica's, I do have some fields I plan to rotate but some I want to keep to grain. I know you like to plant in strips but my plots are small (2) acres and smaller. Thanks buddy

If you include red clover with the cereal mix, it can be planted every year

December 4th, 2013

Fertilizer and lime are expensive and surely not as much fun as spending money on a new bow or ATV, but a new bow isn't of much use if your food sources are eaten to the dirt and deer are at the neighbors. No need to waste money either so yearly soil tests are very important....

These fields have been limed and PH corrected and needed only 60 lbs P&K per acre to bring nutrient levels up

Jess also applied 150 lbs of urea to promote rapid, lush and palatable growth

Growth was outstanding

Deer are beating a path to the lush feed which is holding up despite heavy grazing

In stark contrast are fields where the landowner wasn't crazy about spending money on lime and fertilizer and only 1/4 the needed fertilizer was applied...

We applied pellet lime in past years but need yearly applications or better yet, 3 ton per ac ag lime applied

Low PH ties up needed nutrients...

Soil pH is a measure of the alkalinity or acidity of the soil. Soil pH is measured on a logarithmic scale from 0 (str
ongest acid) to 14 (strongest alkali or base). Neutral is 7. Slightly acid is considered to be 5.2 to 6.0, moderately acid 5. 6 to 6.0, strongly acid 5.1 to 5.5, very strongly acid 4.5 to 5.0, and extremely acid below 4.5.

A change of one unit on this scale actually represents a tenfold change in pH. For example a soil pH reading of 5.5 is 10 times mo
re acidic than a soil with a pH of 6.5. A soil with a pH of 4.5 is 100 times more acidic than a soil with a pH of 6.5.

If a soil’s pH becomes too acidic or too alkaline various key nutrients can become insoluble and unavailable to the plants. Too much lime can be applied. Plants need a proper balance of macro and micronutrients in the soil and the soil pH has an important influence on the availability of nutrients and on the growth of different kinds of plants.

For example, when the soil pH is low; nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium are tied up in the soil and not available to plants.
Calcium and magnesium,which are essential plant nutrients, may be absent or deficient in low pH soils.

Soil PH explained

Drought didn't help but both cases experienced the same lack of rain and lacking nutrients deer grazed it faster then it could grow

Peas and rye are still hanging there but barely

Other fields where fertility and PH were kept up...look great

and bucks lap up the buffet of cereal rye, oats, peas and forage radish

Building soil organic matter is also crucial so planting cover crop food sources and where possible, no-till planting help immensely

Amounts listed below are very general recommendations based on expected annual nutrient removal by crops such as brassicas, but always soil test annually to determine actual nutrient requirements...

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#

Winter rye and September planting are perfect for starting either red or white clovers! Weather is usually not a problem as it can be in the spring and any annual weeds that emerge will quickly die with the first frosts of fall, leaving the clover to grow with out any competition.

On good soils where PH and soil deficiencies have been corrected the clover will thrive and grow quickly during the warm days of early autumn.

CloverinRye.jpg

These are pictures of clover where we still have some soil improvments to make this winter and growth is a little slower

NewcloverSEPlot.jpg

Newclover-1.jpg

I start white clover that will be a 3-5 year plot this way and red clover that will be used for a green manure plowdown the following year, all in the fall. In the spring I clip the fast growing winter rye when it gets 12-20" high and then clip as needed to maintain any clover plot.

I disc or till around September 1st, broadcast or drill the cereal grains and peas and any fertilizer/lime, cultipack, then broadcast the tiny clover and forage radish seed and re-pack to cover.

I usually use some combination of the following clover varieties and Welter Seed is a great place to learn more about these clovers and compare prices with local sources.

Welter Seed - Clover Seed List

and I plant them with the following grains and forage radish that provide all winter quality forage along with great soil building attributes.

Welter Seed - Cereal Grain and Pea seed

Those combinations work well in my 3 way plot rotations that include seperate strips of clover, brassicas and cereals in each plot.

Avoid fighting the weather and weeds in the spring and establish clovers in the fall with your winter rye... ;)

Does $112.30 an acre sound right for the seed here?

Does $112.30 an acre sound right for the seed here?

Probably close...here are rough prices

Winter rye 50 lbs $20
Oats " $13
Peas " $40
Radish $16
Red clover $20

Rate for peas and radish can be cut back and if adding white clover, use 8# RC and add 6-8# WC

Top Bottom