Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cereal Grains and cover crops

Clarification of rotation mixes

Some questions and confusion about the rotation often come up so I'll to clarify a bit, here's a picture of a plot we plant

Here's the suggested guidelines for the rotation

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice, Kopu II, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover and/or crimson and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot...we use 50# each rye, oats and peas along with radish and clover seed all planted in half of each feeding area

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 50-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Frostmaster Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre

Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28 but for best results soil test and add only what is necessary.

Rotate the brassicas and rye combo each year

One question is "do the items in the rye mix get mixed together or each item in mix get planted in separate strips?" Let's break this down into three main elements of the rotation

1) Clover mix
2) Brassica mix
3) Rye mix

As noted on the aerial there are only those 3 mixes involved, no singular individual species.

1) Clover mix - these are very generalized guidelines and can be tweaked on an individual basis using common sense for your area. We do not use durana but someone in Georgia might. The key is to include white clover (if adapted to your area) in a portion of each plot. We plant the perimeter and odd corners but whatever ever works for you.

Alice, Kopu II, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

2) Brassica mix - the brassica mix makes up nearly 1/2 of each plot and the is not mixed with any other crop. The mix is inexpensive and performs well for us, but certainly other varieties will work.

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre.

Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover and/or crimson and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

3) Rye mix - this mix is just that... a mix that is planted together in the strips marked rye

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot...we use 50# each rye, oats and peas along with radish and clover seed all planted in half of each feeding area

Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28 but for best results soil test and add only what is necessary.

Hopefully this answers questions but if not please ask ;)

Took a walk through my rye/clover plot I planted last fall. The clover looks good and shows a lot of sign of browse. Forgot to take a actual picture of the field but here is a close up. Knowing I sowed the seeds makes me smile. Thanks Paul!

Paul,

Here's a few pics from our plots. Coming along great! I was really surprised to see how much clover was tucked in under the rye. It's a bit spotty in places, but I'm sure I'll be able to fill it in. This field was bulldozed from scrub cedar just about a year ago. To say I'm pleasantly surprised would be a gross understatement. Wouldn't have been possible without all the information I've learned here.

When would you recommend cutting the rye?

Thanks.

Steve

picture.php

That winter rye is really amazing stuff. In this next pic, I had turnips on the right half of this entire field. They did OK, but not great due to the drought, so mid-September I broadcast a bag of WR into the standing turnips. To be honest with you, I had kind of forgotten about it, and expected that half of the field to be bare. Not so... !

picture.php

picture.php

And some Berseem / Oats that were planted last week right before a timely rain.

picture.php

Last edited:
Is disking rye under enough to kill it, or do I need to spray it first if I want to try and plant a small sunflower patch on part of this...?

Thanks.

Is disking rye under enough to kill it, or do I need to spray it first if I want to try and plant a small sunflower patch on part of this...?

Thanks.

Discing is all that's required, we spray in late May and mow 1st of July. Rye makes outstanding fawning cover, if you mow earlier you'll kill fawns

May 9, 2014

The rye strips are lush and growing quickly now

Note the brassica strips are completely weed free thanks to the allelopathic effects of brassicas that inhibit germination of small seeds.

Rye has the same effect leaving the fall seeded clover also weed free

Not a weed in sight

Every field is the same

Jess is drilling oats and annual clovers in the brassica strips now

Rye keeps whitetails fat and happy from March until mid and then turns into incredible fawning habitat

As the rye matures and becomes unpalatable the clovers kick into high gear providing a source of high protein food. May and June are critical months for lactating does and antler development.

Corn and beans aren’t even up or not planted at all which means mediocre management at best.
We’ll plant whatever our clients want but eventually 98% ask us to plant the following:

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover and/or crimson and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

winter rye question

I have 1acre of rye I planted last fall with clover.Half of the clover
is doing great other half spotty at best. The rye is about 2feet tall. I was going
To spray it with clethodim to kill the rye.leave half clover and disk in the
other half of the clover and plant brasicas in late summer. My question is
Will mowing kill the rye or do I need to spray it. Thanks.

I have 1acre of rye I planted last fall with clover.Half of the clover
is doing great other half spotty at best. The rye is about 2feet tall. I was going
To spray it with clethodim to kill the rye.leave half clover and disk in the
other half of the clover and plant brasicas in late summer. My question is
Will mowing kill the rye or do I need to spray it. Thanks.

Mowing will kill it along with any new fawns..... which is why we spray now to keep it from going to seed and mow early July ;)

If I HAD to plant the crereal mix in the beg of August say the 10th, (only time it can be done) if it rained within a few days after, to make it more palatable for the deer should I mow it? and when should I mow it, Iv planted oats early before and once it got so tall the deer didnt touch it

If I HAD to plant the crereal mix in the beg of August say the 10th, (only time it can be done) if it rained within a few days after, to make it more palatable for the deer should I mow it? and when should I mow it, Iv planted oats early before and once it got so tall the deer didnt touch it

You can mow if need be,not ideal but wait and see if it is necessary first

what chemical do you use to spray winter rye at the end of May? And whats the ratio for a 20 gallon sprayer?

what chemical do you use to spray winter rye at the end of May? And whats the ratio for a 20 gallon sprayer?

12-16 ounces clethodim
6-8 ounces gly
1 qt crop oil
per acre

You must calibrate your sprayer to know how much water it applies per acre

May 29th, 2014

Nice to have options especially when it comes to herbicides and the rotation we use can be successful with or without herbicides.

We prefer to let rye get semi mature for maximum soil benefits and outstanding fawning cover

The winter rye is heading out but but not yet setting viable seed, it has achieved maximum height and root growth and does are having fawns it. At this point we can't mow without killing fawns so we terminate the rye with a herbicide mix that won't kill the white or red clover growing with the rye

12-16 ounces clethodim
6-10 ounces glyphosate (roundup)
1 qt crop oil
Rates are per acre so calibrate your sprayer to see how much water it applies per acre

Note the white clover perimeter which we spray right along with the rye, the brassica strip has been no-till drilled to oats and annual clovers

The other option is to terminate the rye by mowing earlier before fawns are born roughly May 15th here

We don't want the rye to go to seed if following it with brassicas or the ensuing carpet of rye with smother the brassicas

In this case we no-tilled berseem and crimson clovers because the red clover failed due to last falls drought

If going back to the rye mix or leaving it in clover you may choose to leave it standing so there are options for everyone

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#

Top Bottom