Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

changing handgun cartridges legal for deer

IA ML'r

I don't know how many guys are out there that hunt with handguns in the semi auto calibers currently legal for deer but IDNR is proposing changing the caliber list to "Centerfire handguns must be .357 caliber or larger, use straight-walled cartridges with a case that is at least 1.16 inches long without the bullet" which would rule out all the semi auto pistol cartridges (including 10MM) except .50AE

http://www.iowadnr.gov/nrc/11mar/24.pdf

I guess I would be all for it. We have a group around me that hunts the late muzzy season with hand guns, a lot use the semi auto and a lot of them shoot them out the window. I guess it probably won't make any difference they'll just go buy a different hand gun and continue chasing them with pickups and shooting out the window, they'll just have to reload more often.

What's the reasoning for it? I don't think lethality is an issue, so they must be worried about something else?

i'm sure it is tied to all the fear and paranoia surrounding the concealed weapons changes. trying to eliminate the style of handgun people would be carrying concealed, while deer hunting.

more stupid over-reaction law making

I can shoot a .357 revolver out the window just as fast as my .45 ACP 1911. I don't see how this law would do us any good?

I'm guessing just as many things are shot with a shotgun out the window as a pistol, probably even more so. It won't really do anything in all honesty. Those that do it, know it is not legal, but choose to do so anyhow.

Problem solved.

I went to the NRC meeting today with a .40 S&W a .357 a .45 acp and a .38 special round (couldn't dig up any of the few .45 colt brass I have though) and told the commissioners that currently 3 of the 4 plus .45 colt are legal, with the proposed change the 40 S&W would be out even though it's effectiveness on game is no different than the .357 that would remain legal and the 45 acp that would be illegal is no different than the commercially available standard pressure .45 colt stuff that would still be legal. Then I said that no one would argue that the .38 special would be proper for deer hunting but that if they went to a case length standard it is possible to find case drawings with .38 at 1.16 and they'd end up with a list again to right that situation anyway. I also told them that this change would force a segment of handgun deer hunters to either buy a new gun or quit handgun hunting.

that did the trick and they removed the change from the proposal.

The request for the change came from the enforcement bureau, they wanted to get rid of the list that needs to be updated periodically because they get calls from hunters wondering why this or that cartridge isn't on the list even though it is sufficient for humane deer hunting. Their other concern was to make sure that .38 special couldn't be used.

the commissioners decided that keeping the list and just updating it was the most efficient way to deal with the situation.

This is kinda of off topic but i was reviewing on the DNR's website how the new carry law relates to some of the older laws.. and i dont understand how once you have a non-professional permit to carry you can have uncased and loaded handguns rifles and shotguns in your truck but your sidearm has to be unloaded and cased when on an atv just seems pretty senseless to me

but your sidearm has to be unloaded and cased when on an atv just seems pretty senseless to me

I just took my class a little while ago and the instructor basically said the same thing. No good reason for this law. He also said that there are some other inconsistencies in some laws and that all someone needs to do is bring a lawsuit against the state and these would get changed. (He said that he has done it in other states) I asked about Gators and other utility vehicles and he thought they would still fall under the atv law.

Top Bottom