Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

checking your turkey gun patterns!

J

jason

Do you guys have any secrets about pattering you gun?
Is there away to see how good of penatration you have at 40 or 50 yrds?

I used to pattern my gun at 10, 20, 30, & 40 yards. One shot at each if it looked good. I'd usually take one at 50 but 40 is my self imposed cut off limit. Try different loads to see which works best for you. As far as penaltration I don't know what to tell you, sorry.

MW

Jason,try some of the new high energy loads.Get some buddys together, each buy a different load size and try them.I own a 1187 super mag and shoot win. #6 high energy.
They pattern great out to 50 yards.
Good Hunting, mottspur

Be careful shooting #6 past 35 yards. The #6 will lose energy and may not have enough to kill the bird. I read this in an article telling that any shot over 40 yards should be with #4 shot. The article told how much engery was lost using the #6 versus using the #4 and stated how many pounds it took to kill the turkey. I just remember where I read it.

later

Well thats good, because thats all I'm shooting now, is #4's. I'm getting a heck of a pattern with them. I think I'll be able to kill a bird at 50 yards!

I got about 50 bbs in the head and neck at 25 yards, I think that should be good!!!!

Personal experience is that #5's are great, have rolled a number of turkeys at up to 40 yards with 12 gauge/extra full/3" shell, usually don't even flop. The #5's put significantly more shot in the head/neck kill zone than the fewer count in #4's. I use #4's as a follow-up, more range and penetration per pellet, but fewer pellets reduces chance of a good hit. I've needed the #4's once when I mis-gauged distance, measured later to be 60 yards. The turkey rolled, did a "death-flop" and laid still until I stood up, then got up and flew back the way he came: apparently just knocked unconscious. The #4's dropped him, but at about 45 yards where another load of #5's might have also. Longer shots are not something to recommend, only justified with a bird known to be wounded. Hold your shots to 40 yards or hopefully less so you can accurately place a high number of hits in the head and neck, and #5's will have plenty of penetration. #4's in the body may kill at a longer range, but body shots frequently won't allow recovery of what is a pretty tough bird.

All,
OK, here's a question since we're talking about turkey loads. I saw a show recently on The Outdoor Channel indicating muzzleloading rifles are a legal weapon for spring turkeys in some states. WOW...would that be a weapon for those "hung up" turkeys sitting out there at 80+ yards. I'm not sure whether I'd use mine or not, but it might be nice to have the option. Blind Sow, any knowledge whether or not this has been considered in Iowa ??

NWBuck

NWBuck

I wouldn't even dare to shoot aturkey a 80 yards with a muzzle loader! Remember your still using shot. At 80 yards your pattern would probably be she size of a car hood if not bigger!
I know I 50 yards may be pushing it with a 31/2 shell, but the point is to call the bird in close!

Jason,
My post referred to a muzzleloading RIFLE, not a muzzleloading shotgun. Some states are currently allowing this...I think the state featured in the show was Nebraska, but I could be wrong on that. I believe they made reference to the fact that 13 states currently allow the use of the muzzleloading rifle for turkeys.

NWBuck

It is not legal to shoot turkeys in Iowa with a muzzleloading rifle....but it is legal with muzzleloading shotgun. I highly doubt that Iowa would allow them to be used. Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

Top Bottom