Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Chestnuts

Who ever might be doing something like this may be facing a stiff prison sentence but defending against one heck of an attack is how I would see it.....
0a148890b2084d1fdbc2c57cce930336.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great idea Skip, I'm tired of squirrels stealing all the acorns out of my pots, even after they started growing! Last year I put the pots in a cold frame but once the oaks got too tall to close the windows over them they dang tree rats pulled them all out!!!

This is justice!!!!.... the chestnuts they ate part of... MY ASIAN FRIEND CHANG took the prongs on trap and pushed through the chestnut. U can see the nut on there still if look close. They dangled there like candy. Nibble nibble.. WHACK.

Awesome, time to bring the conibear's out of retirement. I'm ready to declare war on chipies too but they're protected here.

I mispoke, clearly. It was someone else & they were providing delicious meat for their family + that squirrel did have rabies.

“BIG CHESTNUT” has the laws all screwed up here anyways. The Big Chestnut Industry and their teams of lobbyists result in foolish laws around squirrel control - just so the can scheme to sell more chestnuts!!. Big Chestnut has politicians in their pocket & we need to organize & fight back!! :eek::mad:o_O:rolleyes:

Curious about chestnut growing....after stratification in the fridge can you plant them outside(April-May) in back yard pots until they are ready to plant in their final location? Kinda looks like that is what is going on in the pictures.

Besides rodents, do you need to protect them from direct sunlight/heat while they sprout?

Thanks

Super well drained soil is key. Rodents are big issue & I wish I had greenhouse. But yes- it works. Carefully store them over the winter & u can get em going for sure.

Just looking for some clarification on Dunstans... I have heard some say that they don't do well in Iowa zone 5. Can someone clarify if this is true or false.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Just looking for some clarification on Dunstans... I have heard some say that they don't do well in Iowa zone 5. Can someone clarify if this is true or false.

Thanks!
I have heard both..... I have heard they do fine. I have also heard zone 5 is getting too far north for them. From the reading I’ve recalled in past- I think there’s SOME risk up here. Some folks do just fine with them I’ve seen.
IMO- I’d save the risk & add or only go with a high quality Chinese strain. U likely will notice little difference in seed. Chinese chestnut seed from high quality source will be very very good.
I’d probably summarize like this..... if u plant dunstans - plant a cold hardy Chinese as well. In case something did happen to dunstans.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will just go with the Chinese. This will be my first large scale attempt with Chestnuts and I don't need any additional drama.

Thanks Again.

I got my chestnut seeds out of the fridge this week and placed them in some treepots I got from Stuewe and Sons. Roots are about 2-3 inches long

My question is- Should I place them in full sun or part sun? Or should I use a mesh shade net?

Thanks

I got my chestnut seeds out of the fridge this week and placed them in some treepots I got from Stuewe and Sons. Roots are about 2-3 inches long

My question is- Should I place them in full sun or part sun? Or should I use a mesh shade net?

Thanks
Either be fine IMO. I’ve had no issue with full sun. I’ve grown closer to a fence with shade without problem as well. I don’t have a perfect answer but here’s my 2 cents..... u got 2 main threats to chestnuts: FUNGUS & CRITTERS. Full sun will help reduce fungus. So- I’d go full sun. Critters digging em up and eating- make sure u got solution there. Post some updates.

I start in trays and move to 1 gallon. If u have fewer chestnuts - starting in bigger pots out of gate is probably better. I just have too many. Got a little help too! All protected from critters for most part. Posted a few pics in acorn thread but here’s some chestnuts. & some persimmon, crabapple, dco, hazelnut, etc.

9c78c384393978b8264d0d3fcae60b38.jpg

5faf2381996b60197608eeb69a8e5e3c.jpg

90edf9df8f2030e18a44c64fab9605f0.jpg

f356d1f41a7a29cd8b61693f746f3ff8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom