Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

City Deer

BOWDUDE

I was installing some lights on a walking trail about five blocks from the governor's mansion today. The walking trail is in the timber, as I am wiring up a light I look over and there are 6 deer bedded down watching me. I went to the next light across a bridge, by this time I was within about 35 feet of them. They all stood up and then just went about their business. They laid back down and just looked at me for about 20 min., then got up again and trotted away. I don't think this will ever happen to me in the timber I hunt?

Why don't you come hunt them. Sounds like you were at Gray's Lake. You can hunt them across the street in Water Works Park, 1500 acres.

Take a bowhunter safety class and the a proficiency test and you are in. Matter of factly, I shot two does last fall within 2 blocks of the Gov's Mansion.

41 does were harvested in Water Works Park last season. All with bow, no firearms. The population is on a slight decline now. So the Urban Deer Hunt is starting to have an impact on the population. Much to some people's opinion, the deer are spookier in the fall. They have been hunted for 3 years. So it is not a shooting fest. But the deer are no different than rural animals and are patternable.

Tip, lock your stands or better yet take them in with you on each hunt. In 3 years there have been 2 stands stolen (not locked) and one that was locked was vandalized.

Call Pam at Des Moines Water Works to get information. 515-283-8791

BugleMIn,
Thanks for the info! I have thought about hunting at water works, I also have a buddy who is a saftey instructor.
I was working around 35th and Grand. I saw some nice deer. Maybe I will try to fit in a city hunt this fall. There just never seams like enough time.

There may be a new area opening this year. On private property within the city, 52nd St. Ct. and Welker, or somewhere's about. The home owners are just sick of the deer eating all their flowers and shrubs. Talk to Irv at AF&S.

It still needs approval from DNR, and City, which is expected. And you would need to coordinate permission from about 6 homeowners. But one guy (Home owner) is taking the charge and he will get permission slips made up with all six signatures.

These people spend big bucks on their gardens and flower beds every year. One guy spends $100 a year on LifeBuoy soap each year!!!

My brother lives on Grand (near 53rd?) and his neighbor feeds the deer. He calls them & they come running out of the woods into his back yard. I've seen up to 12 deer there at a time & my brother has seen many more. Since the hunting has been allowed alot more of the deer have moved up into his area. He had deer bedded in his back yard all winter long. I know what you're all thinking & believe me it's crossed my mind. Only problem is my sister-in-law probably wouldn't allow it if she is home. She let's my brother hunt but doesn't understand how we can "kill those beautiful creatures". There is a push to allow hunting behind my brother's house this year but he isn't sure if the neighbor who feeds them will sign off or not. I'll be watching this closely. Maggs.

Top Bottom