Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Climbing Sticks

big+tall+mass

T250 for president
Curious as to what you all use for climbing sticks when hang and hunting? I've been looking into the new XOP 2-steps or Tethrd Skeletors. I like the thought of the rope system on the Skeletors, but not sure about the stand-offs not rotating for those crooked trees.
I'm not planning on getting real high in a tree for the most part.

I'm stuck in the LW/Novix stick mode. I've been following discussions on Beast sticks, not sure exactly if they would be of a benefit to me. You might take a peak at them.

Disclaimer: just sharing info, I have no financial ties to any companies.

Menards used to carry something like this big-dog-24-dual-step-ladder. I think mine old ones are 25' though, not 24'.

I don't care for the independent segment type climbing sticks, as the ones I've used have tended to move and kick out while I was climbing them. I like having the bottom of my sticks setting on the ground. This setup is more flexible than a traditional ladder too, so I can use them in semi-crooked trees without much of a problem.

I use 4 LW sticks that I cut down to around 18-20". 3 sticks is usually all I need to get the height I want. Lots of options and they are getting better and better. Chinese made stuff is hit or miss on quality based on the forums I follow.

I’ve use Lone Wolf climbing sticks since they came out and now have used LWCG sticks for 3 years now. I have the full length sticks and only use three. Every brand has their plus and minuses!
I’m leery of the Tethrd sticks that use glue instead of bolts….. no way no how I’d ever trust glue for my safety

The first set up climbing sticks i used for awhile was a set of 4 Muddy Pro's. Great sticks as far as durability, ease of connection to the tree and the double steps on both top and bottom. The downfall for me was they are abit heavy. I hunt both private and also a lot of public with many of my areas being quite a distance from the truck along with some fairly rugged terrain.
When the Novix mini steps came out I bought 4 of them and did some mods such as removing the single steps and making them into double steps. I also bought daisy chains for tree connection and did away with the straps that Novix provided. I also use a one step daisy chain aider on each step. Overall they are much lighter than the Muddy Pro's so in that aspect I really have been happy with them (for the most part). The one negative I have found with the Novix minis is they don't seem to be very durable overall. I'm fortunate to be able to hunt a lot so they get used pretty hard.
I bought a set of the Tethrd Skeletors back this past December but have not got them out of the box yet to check them out even further. The big draw for me to the Skeletors is they are still fairly lightweight and they are double steps that fold in and out and also angled away from the tree to provide more boot clearance (this is a pretty big deal). The jury is out yet on how well they hold up and perform but I'm looking forward to later this year playing around with them. Like was mentioned above by Ishi every brand has their plus and minuses.

I have every type of stick ladder from lone wolf to rapid rails. I think my actual favorite is the stagger steps from muddy(the are also one of the cheapest). They are sturdy and easy to climb IMO. I do see advantages to steps like Lone Wolf because they are low profile and blend in better. I think mature bucks can key in on hunters by seeing their stick ladders.

I use Hunting Beast sticks and stand. I started with all Lone Wolf stuff then moved to LWCG stuff but just didnt like the LWCG and how the bigger sticks didnt grip the tree and were heavy. The mini LWCG sticks and aiders also just annoyed me, but man I love how they stacked on one another. The Beast sticks dig onto the tree like NOTHING I've ever used and their double step is vastly superior to the flip flop LW stuff IMO. Makes it easy for climbing.

I’ve use Lone Wolf climbing sticks since they came out and now have used LWCG sticks for 3 years now. I have the full length sticks and only use three. Every brand has their plus and minuses!
I’m leery of the Tethrd sticks that use glue instead of bolts….. no way no how I’d ever trust glue for my safety

Ishi what part of the Skeletor sticks are glued?

I've got a set on their way and am trying to figure out what part is glued on before I rip them out of the package & fully commit to them.

Hope all is well!!

The sticks on recall are the Gen-2
Edit- from what I can find the gen-1 are also chemically bond so check them over when they arrive and use good judgment

Last edited:
I use the Novix mini double steps and like them a lot for the price point. I'll probably do some saving over the next year or two and get the LWCG doubles.

Top Bottom