Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
Hey Paul, wanted to take a second and again thank you for everything you have done. You wouldn't know how many late nights and days I have spent reading through your Dbltree's section. My clover looks great and a lot of that is attributed to you and all the time you spent selflessly helping all of us stewards of the land!

Not a great picture, but was going through a trail cam and because of the great quality and reliability of Wildgame Innovations trail cams I got this shot of "nothing", but my great looking clover plot.
picture.php

Paul. I would to like to say thanks for every post you have ever made. I have countless hours reading them over the last 4 years, and continue to learn. Your trials and tips have had such a huge impact on land managers everywhere. I am forever greatfull. Thank you

I have a small woods plot that we want to plant in clover and I just have a quick question for you guys. We purchased a bag of Imperial Whitetail Clover and, after receiving it, noticed that it is mostly red clover and coating. Our plot is prepped and we are going to seed in the next few days. I wanted white clover so I went to our local coop and they had Latino and Dutch (which we mixed) but a friend of mine said that, because we were planting so late, we would be better off using the Imperial Clover because the red clover would come in quicker preventing weeds/grasses from getting started and then the white clover would establish in the spring. Do you guys agree with this or would I be better off using the white clover mix? Thanks in advance.

Neither one will get more then an inch this fall, there's not a hill of beans difference this fall. Just mix them and sow, you see why we don't waste money on "buck on bag" seed, you never know what you're getting... ;)

Yeah I definitely see that now :) Never again - getting all my seed from the coop from now on. Thank you for the quick response I really appreciate it.

If you want fast growth and attractant for this fall, add rye and oats to it and maybe some winter peas (of course the mix in dbltree's other posts). Clover will not amount to an attractant this fall, just so your expectations aren't out of line and you were hoping for something to really draw them in come oct/nov & so on. If you want to draw them in for this fall, at this point, oats/rye/winter peas should be worked in with clover.

Thanks for responding. I didn't know that - I was hoping to get my kids on this plot this year. I put the clover seed down yesterday; can I still put rye and oats down over it?

Thanks for responding. I didn't know that - I was hoping to get my kids on this plot this year. I put the clover seed down yesterday; can I still put rye and oats down over it?

If you are going to broadcast, it will be rye & maybe some radishes (I'd do them but they won't get very big - any kind of tillage radish, daikon, groundhog - all the same). Rye will grow broadcasted. If you have a drill, then you could add the peas and oats. Otherwise rye & radish. Put it on nice & thick and pay attention to this weather because of a lot of guys have got their seed washed away with huge rains lately. Been tough on fall plots!

Honestly I was a little worried about that. I broadcast the clover seed yesterday and, about an hour later, it started to rain - the rain got very heavy during the night. I'll run out to our coop today and get some rye and radish - how many pounds per acre would you recommend?

Honestly I was a little worried about that. I broadcast the clover seed yesterday and, about an hour later, it started to rain - the rain got very heavy during the night. I'll run out to our coop today and get some rye and radish - how many pounds per acre would you recommend?

When broadcasting winter rye you can change go heavier 70-100# per acre. Forage radish 5-8# per acre.

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0> <TBODY> <TR> <TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset">12-16 ounces clethodim
6-10 ounces glyphosate
1 qt crop oil
per acre
* caution use gly only on healthy established white and red clover
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->I'm going to spray some areas with gly that have been mowed & will be frost seeded with clover this winter. One of them has some clover (and a lot of weeds) already. Would it be OK to use this mix on that spot to try to rescue some of the clover that's there or should I just "burn" it with a higher dose of gly & start over. How much gly should I use on the areas that are currently grass/weeds? Thinking a couple quarts? Thanks...

IMG_0348_zps4e1be25d.jpg
Obviously have a strong crop of fawns and definitely need to shoot some does. On a positive note, clover is doing great and will hopefully lead a few new bucks to do some scent checking.

I have a pasture that I would like to establish clover in. Could I just spray it this fall and frost seed? Or should the ground be worked?

I have a pasture that I would like to establish clover in. Could I just spray it this fall and frost seed? Or should the ground be worked?

If it were me and you want to make it easy, one method or one way to skin the cat (what I'd do & considering how late we are in the fall).... Mow it off & spray the daylights out of it so it's for sure nuked & I'd frost seed later. If it were me, I'd apply P&K this year/now so it breaks down over the winter & maybe some pelletized lime if you're not doing soil test. Frost seed heavily & as long as you had a good kill, you'll start getting a great stand. Likely need to hit with clethodim & crop oil if you are killing off grasses.

The cows have eaten it down so low I don't know if I even need to mow. That's what had me thinking I could maybe get away with it

Top Bottom