Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cold feet?

meatcleaver

meatcleaver
I have a problem with cold toes in the deer stand. I usually use 2 pairs of boots socks with a hand warmer stuffed between them and I wear Muck Woody Elite boots. Its still not enough at times. What do you do to keep your feet warm?. Any tips would be appreciated. thanks

A good pair of liner socks and wool socks works for me. Then I wear 1000 gram leather boots. If it gets below 20 degrees I will throw on artic shield boot blankets immediately for all day comfort.

Moisture wicking liner socks, tosty toes heaters on top of those, wool socks over that and 800 gram rubber boots. The Artic Shield boot blankets are nice too. Keeps the wind off your feet and locks the heat in. I've found more sock layers is worse. You need to let things breathe in there.

I have 1200 gram rubber boots too, but I don't think there is much difference in them other than they are bigger and weigh more.

If you are using hand warmers in your boots they don't heat well because they need oxygen to make the chemicals work. You need to use toe warmers instead, different chemicals in the pouches for less oxygen to make them activate. Liners and socks and insulated leather boots are a better way to go in my opinion though.

Been there man!! Merino wool liner socks are amazing and with heavier wool sock over that. With your Muck boots. Like others said, you need to let your feet breathe. I do have the arctic shield covers as well and used them once this year when it was low teens and very windy...they worked awesome. I have had the same 1200 gram rubber boots for almost 4 years now and when I had to retrieve a buddy's deer in the river this fall, I noticed I have a crack somewhere because I started to feel a leak in my rubber boot after being in there for a few mins. I think I have probably had that crack for some time ... don't know if your boots would have a similar problem but you could throw them on and fill up a tub of water and stand in there and see if they have a leak. Just a thought

The best thing I ever did was simply loosen my shoe strings... You need good blood flow if you want those feet to stay warm

I wear old miltary boots, they are called mickey mouse mouse miltary boots. I wear one pair of tall socks not even insulated and my feet never get cold. I have wore a lot of different boots and these are by far the best ive ever bought, and they are only 50 to 75 bucks

I agree with the Mickey mouse boots I have a pair that I paid $50 for at a military surplus store no more cold feet and if they get water in them just dump it out and your ready to go again.

I used to use 1200 gram Lacrosse alpha burley and my feet sweat every time, then got cold. Switched to 800 gram with a merino wool sock and have had much warmer feet because I dont sweat as much. I also use the toasty toes warmers for those really cold mornings.

My feet are cold in July !!
Go to www.thunderboltsocks.com
These things are a bit pricey, but they sure work great. Get the socks for sportsmen.They come with rechargable batteries. I wear them with my heavy Sorel boots, and with two settings,(low and high) the days sitting in a tree with cold feet are forever gone.

Here's a little cheap trick that works.........Save a couple of the stiff foam trays that meat comes packaged on from the store. Cut insoles out of it to fit your boots. This adds a nice bit of insulation on the bottom of your boots where they don't have any.:way:

I've heard great things about the Thermacell boot liners, but can't justify them, myself. Like others have said, a good liner sock (preferably merino wool) with a good merino wool sock over that with good insulated boots is wonderful.

I absolutely love the liner sock and hunting-specific sock by Smartwool. Out here, when I hunt Dec-January, mornings are sub-freezing and a pair of Smartwool liners with the Smartwool hunt sock (heavy, over-the-calf; also crew) are great inside a pair of insulated boots. When the sun finally rises and the day begins to warm after the cold-lag, I end up having to switch to uninsulated boots, but I keep those socks on (extra padding when you take your boots off to complete a stalk in desert scrub). Smartwool liners and hunting socks are by far the best cold-weather sock combo I've ever hunted in!

Top Bottom