Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cold feet?

I bought a set of the Thermacell foot warmers online for under $90.00. I've used them once and they seemed to work good. They are a little stiff but I suppose thats the trade off for having warm feet.

My feet are almost always cold. I've tried every combination, liners, thick, thin combinations, high dollar. Everything!! Actually my feet are cold now at work with the furnace set at 70.

The best socks for me that I have found are the smartwool brand socks. My plan is to use the smartwool/thermacell combo when it gets cold

My feet are almost always cold. I've tried every combination, liners, thick, thin combinations, high dollar. Everything!! Actually my feet are cold now at work with the furnace set at 70.

The best socks for me that I have found are the smartwool brand socks. My plan is to use the smartwool/thermacell combo when it gets cold

I'm in the same boat. I forgot to qualify my previous post with the fact that I survived a house fire in mid-November in Iowa when I was five. We got out of the house after midnight with just our pajamas. My hands (fingers), feet (toes), ears, and nose were all subjected to the early stages of frostbite (actually called frostnip). For the past 34 years, I've been extremely sensitive to cold, including my hands stiffening up in an air-conditioned room. Smartwool socks are the only socks I've found that give me any comfort in the cold.

I have cold feet in July !!!
Go to www.thunderboltsocks.com
These are a bit pricey, but check out the socks for sportsmen.
They come with rechargable batteries, I wear them with my heavy Sorel boots. The days, sitting in a tree stand, that were shortened with cold feet,will be over. I swear by these socks, and they are comfortable to wear, you do not even realize you have them on while walking. (remember the old D-cell battery socks):grin:

Here's a little cheap trick that works.........Save a couple of the stiff foam trays that meat comes packaged on from the store. Cut insoles out of it to fit your boots. This adds a nice bit of insulation on the bottom of your boots where they don't have any.:way:

Thanks for the tip, Shovel. That should work excellent.

One of the best tips I've ever used is to spray my feet with an anti-persperant before putting on my socks. Sweaty, damp feet get cold alot quicker than dry ones, and stay that way.
You'll be amazed at the difference. (I use Sure un-scented)

If you're just going to be sitting on stand and not doing a ton of walking then a Wiggys pack boot is your answer. The boot liners are made of lamilite sleeping bag material - if you're not familiar with Lamilite read up on it. I have not had cold feet one time while wearing these - including hunting moose in AK in December when it was -30 degrees out. These boots are the real deal and solved my cold feet problem.

http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=96

I am so far happy with the my purchase of the new Thermacell Heated insole's. I do think they are a little over priced, but so far they have helped keep me in stand longer then normal when the tempt's have been below 25 degree's, The best combo so far has been using them in my Muck boots, The insoles do raise your foot up in some boot's, which will cause a tighter fit, and if your boot fit is to tight- it only means one thing- cold feet.

One of the best tips I've ever used is to spray my feet with an anti-persperant before putting on my socks. Sweaty, damp feet get cold alot quicker than dry ones, and stay that way.

Interesting...I had never heard of that. I wonder if you used a powder, like for athlete's foot, if that would accomplish the same thing? Keeping your feet dry would definitely be a plus, good tip!

The company is Fox River Mills out of Osage Iowa. They make most of the socks for Carhartt, columbia, remington, cabelas etc. I bought mine off of their website www.foxsox.com The liner sock number is 4422 for full length, 4421 for crew length and its called Therma wick. The actual Heavy weight sock I bought was item # 7014 the Gibraltar Frontiers. I honestly didn't think the extremely lightweight liner would help but it made the world of difference for me in keeping my feet dry. That was always the problem in the past, my feet would sweat and stay sweaty.

The next liner I am going to try is the X-static liner which is #4101. Everyone I talked to there swears if you don't want stinky feet or boots wear these liners. I am going to give them a try during turkey season, checking trail cams, and early bow. I have nothing but success stories from all these guys that work there that hunt so we will see. Its hard to beleive that a silver lining will kill microbial but I trust these guys and I have stinky feet so it will be a good test

i wear 800 gram danner's with carhart tall socks that way they are not heavy for the walk in so i don't get sweaty! walk slow and take your time so you don't get sweated up to bad. I attach my boot buddy's to the top loop on my backpack so they are outta the way. i put them on asap when i get climbed up. for the really cold days like 20 and under i carry my heater body suit out and either wear it half way on or if its really cold all the way on. that suit is a must for late season hunting and worth every penny. watch for deals from them in the off season as i got mine for 100 off!

Works great, and I use the same brand. One of the best tips I've ever used is to spray my feet with an anti-persperant before putting on my socks. Sweaty, damp feet get cold alot quicker than dry ones, and stay that way.

I've always had problems with cold feet over the years. It took me a while to realize cotton socks under my wool socks were a dumb idea (duh). Then I finally figured that the treestand platform sucks quite a bit of heat from my feet. Now, just this past year, I determined that my feet were probably getting overheated walking to the stand (even though they didn't exactly feel sweaty).

Now i just wear the cabela's deluxe cold weather socks (i've thought about liners but have not tried tehm), throw on the artic shield boot covers when it gets really cold, and walk really slow to the stand. I think that last point can be really underestimated sometimes, so if you are struggling with cold feet and walk to the tree, definitely try slowing down and see how it goes.

your boots maybe too tight! I wear LaX Airbob sole knee highs all year long, including late season. There has to be a little room in them. The LaX boots have a chamber in them that warms with your foot and keeps your feet warm. I will not use any other boot when hunting. I wear them making drives and tree standing. When it is 20 and lower, I will put a small foot warmer in the bottom of the boot and they stay warm as heck. Then when it is below zero, I will bring in a pair of booties to go over my knee highs.

If your boots are too snug, expecially knee highs, my experience is that your feet will get cold becuase of no air circulation around your foot. And get rid of the MUCK! GO LAX AIRBOB SOLE!!! The only way to go and good traction!

Top Bottom