Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

College & Hunting

TheMadCatter

People are telling me you can hunt as a resident in both states. I'm confused how this works, I'm going to Wyoming and it says it takes 180 days as a NR Student then you're considered a resident in Iowa if you're in Iowa more than 90 days.

Just wondering if anyone else did this? If not, I'm just going to keep residency in Iowa and hunt Wyoming as a NR its cheaper and I don't have to wait 4 years to hunt back home.

I'm not sure about Iowa, but my sons go to school in ND and they get resident for both ND and MN.

It's very common for states to give resident privileges to non resident students. Unless your going to become a WY resident don't overthink the Iowa side of things. If you're going to WY but not going to become a full resident to get resident tuition rates and pay your taxes there you will still have your Iowa residency.

Last edited:
If you pay "non resident" tuition then your able to keep your Iowa hunting "resident rights" however the moment you try and claim residency in another state then you now loose the dual residency for Iowa and your SOL for deer hunting in Iowa.

When I was in college by old roommate was from Kansas. All he had to do was prove he was a "full time" student and he then gained the "dual residency" in terms of hunting/fishing. The time frame he had to wait was when we started summer ball and was up here 2 months before classes had begun. He was forced to wait for his dual residency until he had paid for tuition and registered for classes; once all the "paperwork" had been done and he had proved he was a legitament student then he was good to go.

Hope this helps.....

Last edited:
Somewhat related...

I didn't realize this until just this past summer...but a full-time, NR student here in Iowa was eligible for a resident deer tag. We found this out because one of my sons' roommates was going to get an archery tag and hunt with us this fall. I was under the impression that he would have to get into the NR draw...but not so, he could have gotten a "regular" tag. As it turns, for other reasons, he did not get the tag after all.

I am pretty sure he would have also been able to return to his home state, North Dakota, and hunt there as a R too.

Yep.. Friend of mine in college was from Wisconsin, and got resident Wisconsin as well as Minnesota tags.. Pretty sweet deal for kids going to school out of state.

Been trying to convince my little brother he should go to Iowa...

"A nonresident person who attends school in Wyoming may establish residency if:

• The person is domiciled in Wyoming for one (1) full year (365 days) immediately preceding the date of making application for or purchasing a license; and
• The person makes no claim of residency elsewhere for any other purpose during that one (1) year period.
• No special provisions are made for nonresident students to establish residency while attending school in Wyoming."

Looks like I won't be able to do what y'all are saying.

• The person is domiciled in Wyoming for one (1) full year (365 days) immediately preceding the date of making application for or purchasing a license; and
• The person makes no claim of residency elsewhere for any other purpose during that one (1) year period.
• No special provisions are made for nonresident students to establish residency while attending school in Wyoming."

Jeez, that's tough

I personally did this while i was a Missouri resident. If you live out of state and are going to school full time in Iowa, 25 years old or younger you pay resident prices in both states. You have to send in a copy of your hunter safety certificate, drivers license, proof that you are in school full time, and mail that shows you have been in Iowa for 90 days. The DNR processed it very quickly, they just email and mail your license #.

TH - Are you going to be running competitively out there?

No, not fast enough. If anything I would have swam, but a college coach here in Iowa screwed me out of that dream. Looks like I'm just going to be hunting, but I'm still going to practice swimming and see what happens.

Are you trying to established residency, thus spend the better part of your life in Wyoming??

I'm confused what your asking. If you're going to school in Wyoming, you don't need to become a resident; therfore becoming one has no play in your game, right? All your wanting to do is have dual residency in terms of hunting/fishing. This isn't legality terms its just hypothetically saying your a resident; when really your just a student. Make sense?

If i was a betting man you didn't get this from a Wyoming game and fish regulations??

Rules like this are set forth so people who want to go to college aren't allowed to get "in state tuition" unless they truly are a resident. I know a lot of guys who went to Iowa State for their great Agriculture program but hated paying "out of state tuition". They played the system by taking a year off (365 days) while remaining in Iowa and paying taxes, etc etc. That next year rolled around and they were eligible for in state tuition, saving them 1000's of dollars over the long run. Taking that year off from school made more sense because of the money they saved long term (or however long it took them to graduate)

Last edited:
Colorado has this in their regulations:
"If you are a Student: Full-time students enrolled in any accredited trade school, college or university in Colorado for the past six months can purchase/apply for resident hunting/fishing licenses. Colorado residents who attend trade school or college on a full-time basis out-of-state and pay non-resident tuition are considered “residents” and can continue to purchase/apply for “resident” licenses."

Iowa has this in their regulations:
"Full-time students enrolled at an Iowa college or university and residing in Iowa while attending school qualify for resident hunting and fishing privileges. Please submit the residency application (see the student section) to get your account updated with your resident status"

Kansas has this in their regulations:
"A nonresident who is a registered full-time student in residence at a public or private secondary, post secondary, or vocational school located in this state may purchase resident licenses and permits, except lifetime licenses. Student must carry evidence of being a full-time student while hunting."

South Dakota has this in their regulations:
"Attending regularly a post-high school institution in this state as a full-time student for 30 days or more immediately preceding the application. - See more at: http://gfp.sd.gov/hunting/licenses/residency-requirements.aspx#sthash.O2EQ1fEl.dpuf"

North Dakota has this in their regulations:
"
Nonresident full-time state or tribal college students living in North Dakota and attending a North Dakota institution of higher learning under the jurisdiction of the Board of Higher Education, a private institution, or a tribal college may qualify to purchase nonlottery resident licenses. Contact the Department for details."

Last edited:
Are you trying to established residency, thus spend the better part of your life in Wyoming??

I'm confused what your asking. If you're going to school in Wyoming, you don't need to become a resident; therfore becoming one has no play in your game, right? All your wanting to do is have dual residency in terms of hunting/fishing. This isn't legality terms its just hypothetically saying your a resident; when really your just a student. Make sense?

If i was a betting man you didn't get this from a Wyoming game and fish regulations??

Rules like this are set forth so people who want to go to college aren't allowed to get "in state tuition" unless they truly are a resident. I know a lot of guys who went to Iowa State for their great Agriculture program but hated paying "out of state tuition". They played the system by taking a year off (365 days) while remaining in Iowa and paying taxes, etc etc. That next year rolled around and they were eligible for in state tuition, saving them 1000's of dollars over the long run. Taking that year off from school made more sense because of the money they saved long term (or however long it took them to graduate)

Good thing you aren't a betting man.
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Am-I-a-Wyoming-Resident

Actually I gamble entirely too much, most times I lose too, couple more years and you'll be legal age to try it out! But...........you still aren't reading between the lines and comphrending the fine print. There's some wierd rules apparently for Wyoming that doesn't make sense. As you listed the 8 or whatever other states around us (IOWA) that grant residency to students apparently Wyoming does not. However, you still can gain residency without waiting that year period, if your paying full time tuition fees (at least that's the way I read it.) Either way guess you've got a predicament on your hands, Iowa or Wyoming.

I'm sure you'll chose right though, your 19 and have the world figured out ;)

Wyoming will be awesome TH, thought I remembered hearing many moons ago that non-res with big game tags in Wyoming were required to use a guide or outfitter? Not sure if that's true but if it is that might influence your decision.....

Wyoming will be awesome TH, thought I remembered hearing many moons ago that non-res with big game tags in Wyoming were required to use a guide or outfitter? Not sure if that's true but if it is that might influence your decision.....

I've hunted elk in WY as a NR and a guide is only required for wilderness areas.

Top Bottom