Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Confessions of a Broadhead Junkie

Keep the great responses coming. :way:

My thoughts on the rage broadheads come from just one season of experiences that I had with them. I typically still hunt my way to my treestand and 1 out of every 3 times my blades would prematurely deploy on a stick or something while moving through the brush. That's great that they deploy considering we want them to deploy on game, but wondering if my broadhead deployed on a stick while I raised my bow to draw just was not something that I wanted to be worrying about when making a shot on any deer that I did sneak up on.

Second experiences were of actually shooting deer. I shot one doe at 5 yards in the shoulder with a Rage 2 blade and I would suspect I only got about 4" of penetration. Granted, I could easily pull more draw weight but I like where I'm at right now with 60 lbs because I can hold it back forever and I shoot alot. The deer ran about 50 yards, arrow fell out, and walked away like nothing happened. Maybe a fixed blade would have made it through, maybe not, but I personally think it would have. Even if it had made it through though, the one of the blades broke in half, and the other was so dull I could have rode to town on it.

I did shoot one deer with a rage and did have a pleasant experience with a quick kill and a large blood trail, but I have seen fixed heads provide the same results in the past.

The rages flew great out of my bow. FWIW I'm not really knocking rage broadheads at all because I know they work well for a lot of people but they just aren't the head for me or my hunting style (and by style I don't mean hitting deer in the shoulder for those of you who like to stir the pot :D). I won't say that I'll never shoot them again because I'll never say never to shooting any broadhead. ;)

I wont disagree about rages not being ideal for spot and stalk hunts. they will deploy if you bump them on something hard enough which blows for spot and stalk. As far as penetrating through shoulder,I shoot 70lbs so Im not too worried about it. I've shot through shoulders with not problem thus far. If you spot and stalk hunt and or shoot a lower poundage bow, rage is probably not the best choice although i do know a guy who shoots 55lbs and loves rage. style of hunting and how hard your bow shoots are two important things to consider when choosing a head, for sure.

I blasted through both shoulders of a buck and the arrow stuck a good 18 inches in the ground with my rages I'd say there's no problem penetrating...I was shootin an 80# monster tho

Will be shooting Tru fire Switchblades and Tru Fire T1 this fall. Will report back and let you know results. SO far testing has been more than impressive.

Top Bottom