Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Confessions of a Broadhead Junkie

Im thinking of going to the Magnus Snuffer.

Like their bullheads and they have great CS and warranty

I use to shoot rage and muzzy's until last year when a friend turned me on to the G5 t-3. I was extremely happy with accuracy and penetration in the 2 deer I shot with them last year. It takes seconds to replace the blades. I would think they could be sharpened to as they are very thick, but had extra blades I got with them so just threw those in. Compared to Rage they hold together 100% better in the quiver and no O-rings to mess with. T-3 use a spider clip made out of aluminum that holds the blades together.

geez o whiz

rocket steelheads 125gr 1 1/4cut no broadhead fixed or expandable penetrates better period. flies exactly, and i mean exactly like a field point. it will bust through bone and makes a good hole. remember, a field point through both lungs will kill. we arent shooting Cape buffalo. a double lung hit is what we seek, accuracy first, then blood trail. put it through both lungs and deer found 100 yards or less. shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.

I am shooting the G5 montec as well. No complaints here. They shoot true and blow a pretty good hole. Tough as nails as well and re-sharpening is really easy. Haven't tried any others so far since I'm only a few years into my bow hunting career but if it's not broke don't fix it right!

I shot NAP Thunderheads for years, but switched to Rage last year. I didn't have the blades locked into the O Ring when I shot at the first two deer, so shot high on both of them. Once I figured that out, they were super accurate on the next 5, but the steel seems thin and the blades bend and brake way too easily. I'm thinking of trying Shwackers?

I have shoot Muzzy 3 blades for years now however by the of last year i was tired of the blades bends/ breaking with every kill shot. They leave a good hole and fly straight but at $10 + each, I want something that can take a beating.

This year I willl be trying the g5 montec and have high hopes.

RAGE!! 2 blade or 3 blade, both work great for us. Been using them for about 3 years now and have never had a problem.

I have always shot WASP 100 gr bullets. I bought some 2 blade Rage two years ago and the first deer I shot with the rage was also the biggest buck I have shot to date. He was broadside at 12 yds and I center punched him but did not get a pass through. Well when he ran out of sight with my arrow sticking out I second guessed my shot and was sick. I waited an hour and he was down not far from where I had last seen him but because of the no pass through I swore to never use them again and haven't.

Rage man here as well. I have had nothing but GREAT experience with the head, as well as some of the guys I hunt with. If I don't get a pass through with a rage, its more than likely because I've hit a major bone (shoulder blade).

First time poster here. I usually dont read many posts. I just like hopping on here once and while to look at people's pics but felt compelled to chime on this one. This is a lot like the vexilar vs. Marcum argument for ice fisherman, IMO. In the end all broadheads will get the job done if you put it where it needs to be. I have shot and killed deer with rage 2 and 3 blade and they worked well for me. It puzzles me when people say they don't deploy. From my experience, you had to have done something to them for them not to deploy. I have never had that problem and not sure how that happens. i see a lot of fixed blade guys say the tried rage and say they are junk. My question is "if your fixed blades are so great they why did you even bother trying rage? after all, fixed blades are less $ and you allegedly never have any problems with them. Part of the story is missing. Obviously there was a reason you felt compelled to spend $40 on three heads. oh yeah, you just fell for the "hype" (sarcastic). Like another guy said on this thread, I think people like to blame the broad head when they really just made a mediocre shot and losing a deer had nothing to do with the broadhead. I dont care what anyone claims, if you put any broad head through the lungs of a deer it is going down. period! spend more time practicing and take ethical shots and you wont have to blame broad heads from losing deer............. A lot comes into play when choosing a broad head and I dont think there are any right or wrong answers and there certainly isnt a "perfect" broad head. For me, I based my selection on what attributes are most important to me. #1 was flight. I want a head that will fly like my field tips. this made an expandable the logical choice. Fixed blades just dont fly like my field tips and I hate having to resight my bow for broad heads(and yes my bow is paper tuned(mathews DXT). More power to the guys who can get a fixed blade to fly like a field tip. Since I decided on expendables, the next factor I looked at was reliability of deployment. I have found that almost any rear deploying broad head is more reliable that traditional front deploying expendables. Rages always deploys for me. I also used T3s with good results and am going to try the redhead gators( just like rage only no O rings and $10 less) this season. The gators passed the target tests but we will see how they perform on a deer. 52 reviews on BPS and only one bad one. I figured it was worth giving them a shot. If the gators dont meet my standards I will probably go back to the T3s because they do have more bone crushing power and the blades are much easier to change than rage........... In the end there are a lot of quality heads on the market( both fixed and expandable). Decide what traits are most important to you and get a head that meets those requirements. Put that head right through the vitals of a deer and you wont have any problems. Just my two cents.

On the three blade Rage I have seen on quartering shot one blade will open sooner and lock the other blade down.

Contacted Rage and sent in all my three blade heads (even the ones that were destroyed) and they sent me two blade heads to replace them.

The three blade Rage has a design issue that they need to fix.

Cooter

Sent from my phone on IW

I've always shot 3 blade 100 grain Muzzy's and have never had a problem dropping a deer with them. I always wait for that front shoulder to clear so I don't have to punch through much. I've always had great blood trails with them as well. It's fairly rare that you get to reuse the blades, but if you straighten them, they become practice heads at that point for me.. I doubt I'll ever change..

all i have ever used. cheap and easy to put together. and not to mention tougher than nails

On the three blade Rage I have seen on quartering shot one blade will open sooner and lock the other blade down.

Contacted Rage and sent in all my three blade heads (even the ones that were destroyed) and they sent me two blade heads to replace them.

The three blade Rage has a design issue that they need to fix.

Cooter

Sent from my phone on IW

Although I didn't experience that problem with them, I can see how that can happen on the 3 blade. I only went through one pack of the 3 blades and all were close broad side shots on does. After shooting both I prefer the 2s.

Rage man here as well. I have had nothing but GREAT experience with the head, as well as some of the guys I hunt with. If I don't get a pass through with a rage, its more than likely because I've hit a major bone (shoulder blade).

what he said.........

2 blade rage for me. Like said before, in a perfect world if you hit a deer right every time it doesn't really matter what your using. But if I gut shoot a monster I guarantee ill be sleeping better that night knowing a rage went through him.

Keep the great responses coming. :way:

My thoughts on the rage broadheads come from just one season of experiences that I had with them. I typically still hunt my way to my treestand and 1 out of every 3 times my blades would prematurely deploy on a stick or something while moving through the brush. That's great that they deploy considering we want them to deploy on game, but wondering if my broadhead deployed on a stick while I raised my bow to draw just was not something that I wanted to be worrying about when making a shot on any deer that I did sneak up on.

Second experiences were of actually shooting deer. I shot one doe at 5 yards in the shoulder with a Rage 2 blade and I would suspect I only got about 4" of penetration. Granted, I could easily pull more draw weight but I like where I'm at right now with 60 lbs because I can hold it back forever and I shoot alot. The deer ran about 50 yards, arrow fell out, and walked away like nothing happened. Maybe a fixed blade would have made it through, maybe not, but I personally think it would have. Even if it had made it through though, the one of the blades broke in half, and the other was so dull I could have rode to town on it.

I did shoot one deer with a rage and did have a pleasant experience with a quick kill and a large blood trail, but I have seen fixed heads provide the same results in the past.

The rages flew great out of my bow. FWIW I'm not really knocking rage broadheads at all because I know they work well for a lot of people but they just aren't the head for me or my hunting style (and by style I don't mean hitting deer in the shoulder for those of you who like to stir the pot :D). I won't say that I'll never shoot them again because I'll never say never to shooting any broadhead. ;)

I'm not really knocking rage broadheads at all because I know they work well for a lot of people but they just aren't the head for me or my hunting style (and by style I don't mean hitting deer in the shoulder for those of you who like to stir the pot :D).

You pretty well said it right there!!! I can understand if your doing alot of spot and stalk, I could definitly see the rage blades getting caught on grass and sticks and blades coming out.

Also, I have shot 3 deer through the shoulder blades, and all have were recovered, 2 went down within bow distance!

But then again, I'm shooting 64lbs and your only shooting 60lbs :grin: :grin: .

No issues with the Rages here either. I know a boatload of guys who use them and have never had any issues, so I'm always interested to hear guys say that they suck! In my experience they leave a devastating hole and a bunch of us did the penetration testing on a board with a variety of heads and the Rages performed very well. The Montec and one other cut on contact fixed blade were the only two that had better penetration. I agree the blade design needs work for staying in place, but the performance is undeniable. Going on 25+ deer now with the 2 blade and have nothing but good things to say. I picked up a few packs of the Titaniums this year to try and I will say the blades do not come loose on those. And BTW I did not pay full price for them :grin:

Top Bottom