Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Considering new broadheads

Daver

PMA Member
I know this subject has probably been beat to death over the years, but I am thinking of switching broadheads. I have used Muzzy 3 blade 125's for years and my two main reasons for thinking about switching are:

1. It seems like the replacement blades for them are not normally stocked where I tend to shop. So when I need some more it is usually a hassle to locate them and I don't normally need all new heads, just the blades.

2. The design of their removable blades make it hard for me to resharpen them. (Note - I never shoot at a deer with anything other than fresh blades. Either new or resharpened, and since it is hard to resharpen Muzzy's it is almost always new blades for me and that adds up.)

I prefer fixed blade, resharpenable options over either mechanicals or heads that are difficult to resharpen.

Looking at the readily available options I think the G5 Striker is a leading candidate. What do others think about this? TIA

I shoot the Montec CS by G5 and love them. You will get very good penetration with them and they sell a sharpening stone to sharpen them with

I have shot the muzzys for years. Just switched this year to the Slick Tricks because I have heard so many good things about them. They seem to shoot great so far.

If you like to resharpen nothing is as easy as the VPA line. Solid steel and VERY easy to shave hair with flat stone. I use slick tricks but vpa is one you should look at.

If I were to switch from my Shuttle T-Locks, it would be for Slick Tricks. Despite the curve in Shuttle Ts, I've never had a problem resharpening them and when I replace the blades, its very easy.

NAP HellRazors, they resharpen easily with a flat diamond sharpener. I have no first hand experience with this but Iowaowtech indicated that they were much easier to get sharp and resharpen than the G5s. Very similar heads.

Love my Slick Tricks. As do ALL of my friends who shoot them. Crazy SHARP...I never try to resharpen, just replace blades. Have shot the new Viper Trick out of my recurve all summer,1000's of arrows and still have to be very careful pulling them out of the target so I don't cut myself.

I like my magnus buzzcuts I've been using. Shoot great and the have a lifetime replacement warranty. Shoot one, practice with it, booger it up, send it back and they will replace it. I like that!

I have always shot muzzy 3 blades also but I am switching this year I went out and shot some 100 grn broadheads and the muzzys fell at thebottom of the target evertime,the rages were dead on as were the 100 grn field tips

SlickTricks !!!!! :way::way::way: If you feel the need to resharpen.......... buy some Zwickey 2or4 blade!! They will rival any new age heads as far as , putting them down!! :way::way:

I like my magnus buzzcuts I've been using. Shoot great and the have a lifetime replacement warranty. Shoot one, practice with it, booger it up, send it back and they will replace it. I like that!

:way::way::way:

I've never tried it but ive heard that you can just email them pics of damged heads instead of sending them in.
I have 2-3 buzzcuts laying around that need to go back. I usually wait until I have 6-8 before I send them back

NAP bloodrunners are great. Both the three blade and two blade. I'm currently shooting the three blades. Shot a doe this year quartering away I got a complete pass through and she only ran 30 yards.

I've never tried it but ive heard that you can just email them pics of damged heads instead of sending them in. I have 2-3 buzzcuts laying around that need to go back. I usually wait until I have 6-8 before I send them back

I know that's all you have to do for replacement bullheads (turkey broadhead) made by Magnus.

I used to shoot the Strikers and had very good luck with them. At the time I was shooting mainly interior timber set-ups on state land so I was normally limited to 30 yrds or under (most were more like 25 or under). When I obtained some private ground to hunt which had more field edge setups, I switched to Grim Reaper expandables but it was is no way a reflection on how I felt about the performance of the Strikers. When I shot them, they had VERY sharp blades.

Slick trick all the way here. Haven't let me down in anyway. Shot them through 4 or 5 different bows over the years and they flew field pt accurate out of all of them. Tried others but seem to always come back to the slick trick. Multiple buddys that have switched to them as well and haven't heard one complaint.

I shot slick tricks last year because I heard so much great stuff about them. I shot two does last fall that were 15 yards, complete pass throughs right behind the shoulder and neither one of those does died. Got pics this summer of one of the does with a big scar right behind the shoulder ... done with slick tricks.

Top Bottom