Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I Have Raccoon Problems - Let's Discuss Trapping & Management Methods

Guys for the record. I am not condoning the use of the fly bait. I have never personally used but know others that have. I am of the type that would rather use a live trap (yes I'm a softy) and remove the pests. I was only relaying information to be helpful.

I agree on heavy steel cables. They pull like crazy!! This one couldn’t cut the cable so look close......

e0f6adb45cdcf6e1674f7b70fd9f756f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea they chew the paw off. Sad,,even for Rotten Coons. I had similar happen. Except it chewed thru the cable and took off with the trap. Bet it did the same to get the trap off. I felt bad. Shoulda went out in the night to check. I have very heavy cables now so that wont happen again. A bad thing but the dern things won't leave my fruit alone! I believe much of what corn farmers blame on deer are coon. Who knows the population? I am up to 10, just in my yard!

Have you guys tried staking the dog proof style traps with a rebar stake through the swivel on the end of the chain? And if you can loosen the hole just a little where the trap itself is stuck in the ground the coons will be less likely to break their legs and chew out.

Last edited:
Have you guys tried staking the dog proof style traps with a rebar stake through the swivel on the end of the chain? And if you can loosen the whole just a little where the trap itself is stuck in the ground the coins will be less likely to break their legs and chew out.

I put chain extensions on mine and use rebar t-stakes. My in-laws had major trouble last month. 6traps night 1 and 5 coons waiting. Goes on for days like that until I thin them way down. Like skip said, super easy to use.
My bait of choice is mini-marshmallows and a little squirt of grape jelly. Cats ignore that stuff (they have cats around that they like).

Have you guys tried staking the dog proof style traps with a rebar stake through the swivel on the end of the chain? And if you can loosen the whole just a little where the trap itself is stuck in the ground the coins will be less likely to break their legs and chew out.
Yes I use rebar with a washer welded in top. A #4 bar (1/2") slips thru the swivel snuggly. Works perfect.
f23a2264b0e8eebba28d5f137b2284a2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I watched a video just lay the DP on the ground , they ring their arm off if it's stuck in the ground and the DP wont swivel .. Watched it on video .. Still worked . Just passing on .. I have a ground hog problem as well..

What do you guys use to keep mice from stealing the bait from DP traps? We have tried different bait — cat food, mini marshmallows. Tried covering with the bottom of plastic water bottle. They popped it off.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone use calls & shoot them with .22’s or shotguns? Lot of buddies have had success & say it’s a blast.

What do you guys use to keep mice from stealing the bait from DP traps? We have tried different bait — cat food, mini marshmallows. Tried covering with the bottom of plastic water bottle. They popped it off.

Thoughts?

My new favorite bait of choice!!!!!…..
dog food mixed with peanut butter. It’s too messy & chunky for mice. Or I’ll put in enough that they rarely can empty it. I’ll put it below the trigger and then smoosh/smear some with a butter knife all around the trigger. Wicked. Get 30-40 coons for every mouse or chipmunk. The other thing I’ll do…. Put smear some above the trap in a tree to attract. Put some around the trap. Then put a little board or a cup they can easily pull off trap (like a plastic cup). Keeps chipmunks & mice out and rain.

Last- if buy new traps- I’d prefer “push pull” traps. They trigger far better imo. I might change some of mine up like this since i have so many pull only traps.

Last edited:

Thoughts?

Golf balls or big marshmallows to cover the top

My new favorite bait of choice!!!!!…..
dog food mixed with peanut butter. It’s too messy & chunky for mice. Or I’ll put in enough that they rarely can empty it. I’ll put it below the trigger and then smoosh/smear some with a butter knife all around the trigger. Wicked. Get 30-40 coons for every mouse or chipmunk. The other thing I’ll do…. Put smear some above the trap in a tree to attract. Put some around the trap. Then put a little board or a cup they can easily pull off trap (like a plastic cup). Keeps chipmunks & mice out and rain.

Last- if buy new traps- I’d prefer “push pull” traps. They trigger far better imo. I might change some of mine up like this since i have so many pull only traps.

Calling coons is super fun!

I need to eliminate some coons. I would like to use the dog proof traps but since I am a non resident, the traps wouldn't be checked too often. What is the downfall to that other than lost opportunity. With hides not worth much, not sure if trappers would be interested.

I need to eliminate some coons. I would like to use the dog proof traps but since I am a non resident, the traps wouldn't be checked too often. What is the downfall to that other than lost opportunity. With hides not worth much, not sure if trappers would be interested.
I believe the regs would obligate you to check, and dispatch as necessary, every 24 hours. Although I am a resident, I don't live on my farm and it is tedious to trap when you aren't there basically every day.

I believe the regs would obligate you to check, and dispatch as necessary, every 24 hours. Although I am a resident, I don't live on my farm and it is tedious to trap when you aren't there basically every day.
I kind of the think the 24-hour rule is not well thought out. Unless you start an hour earlier every day, you will eventually be late in checking if you have several traps out. It will have to take you the exact same amount of time to check your line in order to get to each one in 24 hours if you check the same time every day. I know most wardens would probably use some commonsense discretion here but an ambitious warden with an ax to grind could easily find someone in violation. I thought of this after watching a warden on tv who sat and watched a guy's trap for 24 hours. As soon as 24 hours passed, he headed off to ticket him. I think 25 hours would make more sense.

Top Bottom