Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CORRECTION!! Several counties in for a surprise… Return of shed buck season!!!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
*CORRECTION!!! Sounds like it’s all counties with unsold licenses now have shed buck season!!!!
High power rifles, about 12-13 days from now.
The one that looks to me like they have the most pain coming is WAYNE!!!!! I know there’s some pockets with high deer #’s but a lot of areas i personally know that are down. A lot of guys not having the does to shoot. Thus, 1160 doe tags available as of today. Guys I know, & lots of them - don’t need more shot. Otherwise they gladly would have used these 4 months to kill them. Now we have 1160 getting offered to rifle hunters. Which often time are not from that area. They simply take opportunity to drive down to shoot deer at long ranges with high powers. The HUSH meat lockers often get filled as well. The shed bucks are going to take a beating. The guys who restrict access where deer #’s are high- they aren’t going to allow the guys in. The farms that have been pounded all season & free to all access- they are gonna get hit harder yet. I hope the other counties sell out.
The pockets that will suffer the most are the “80 acres where it’s a free for all” types. The everyday permission hunter is gonna have some pain coming. Won’t notice until 2023 & on….
Hate to see the shed buck season is back!! Regular permission hunter has pain coming in 2023++
3AF9129E-863B-4701-8C5F-FAB55830C352.jpeg
64B28586-3E40-4F9B-A9A0-69F3A43489EE.png
7C2BE90A-F3A5-410E-A20A-5165F1E678CB.png
C4E96655-320D-4112-B4FD-1D368CF14E73.png
3B3B9D72-B710-41F0-855B-C80F56451401.jpeg

Last edited:
Not really sure on the point of this season. It says Population management. But I read it as big insurance company money pushing to thin the deer herd down to nothing.

High power rifles, about 12-13 days from now.
The one that looks to me like they have the most pain coming is WAYNE!!!!! I know there’s some pockets with high deer #’s but a lot of areas i personally know that are down. A lot of guys not having the does to shoot. Thus, 1160 doe tags available as of today. Guys I know, & lots of them - don’t need more shot. Otherwise they gladly would have used these 4 months to kill them. Now we have 1160 getting offered to rifle hunters. Which often time are not from that area. They simply take opportunity to drive down to shoot deer at long ranges with high powers. The HUSH meat lockers often get filled as well. The shed bucks are going to take a beating. The guys who restrict access where deer #’s are high- they aren’t going to allow the guys in. The farms that have been pounded all season & free to all access- they are gonna get hit harder yet. I hope the other counties sell out.
The pockets that will suffer the most are the “80 acres where it’s a free for all” types. The everyday permission hunter is gonna have some pain coming. Won’t notice until 2023 & on….
Luckily it’s only 5 counties. Hate to see the shed buck season is back & I hope it doesn’t grow to more counties.
View attachment 123988View attachment 123989View attachment 123990View attachment 123991View attachment 123992
The one thing I didn't realize was that any county with unsold antlerless tags after Jan 10 qualifies for the Excess Tag season. That season only allows centerfire rifles. This has to be new because they have never been allowed in my county previously and will be this year as we never sell out. Not enthused with this law and never have been

So the population management season allows you to buy the licenses on a December 15th but the excess tags opens rifles up to all counties with extra tags. Seems to be how the snowball starts
23d72c4317852c9d9bd05d8cdada1013.jpg
9aa1d207b22ea3580dd5246396608492.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

So the population management season allows you to buy the licenses on a December 15th but the excess tags opens rifles up to all counties with extra tags. Seems to be how the snowball starts
23d72c4317852c9d9bd05d8cdada1013.jpg
9aa1d207b22ea3580dd5246396608492.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Oh wow. I missed this big time!!!
So……. Any county in the state with unsold tags now has the late shed buck season?!?! For some reason I thought it was only those 5 counties. Big miss on my part & huge correction. Thanks!!!! Oh man…. Just wait folks. The “everyday guy” is gonna have a rude awakening in 1-2 seasons from now. :(

So can out of state guys (like from Missouri):rolleyes: go up and shoot does in Wayne County .. or is it resident only ?

Can’t find that on the website ?

I think NR’s can partake. Maybe I’m wrong. I’ve seen this year after year back in the day when we used to have shed buck season…. It USUALLY was guys from out of the area that got permission & they would stack them up. Guys next to us in lucas & Clarke county would do deer drives with rifles & shoot at running deer at 300-500 yards. Every one they saw. They didn’t care what the deer was- they simply shot. Which is the goal of politicians + special interest (insurance companies for example). I caught up with several of these groups…. Didn’t say a thing - just “hi guys. How did it go”. MULTIPLE groups & encounters had a good # of shed bucks & button bucks. If I had to take a wild guess at what I saw….. for 20 deer…. 3-4 shed bucks, 3-5 button bucks, 3-5 fawn does and the remainder average does. When we went to a HUSH locker within about 15 miles….. I’m gonna guess there was a stack of maybe 75 deer. About the same ratio…. I think we counted over a dozen shed bucks. All that is anecdotal…. Here’s the fundamental problem….

1) yes, shed bucks are killed. But also deer in general that don’t need shot. They are on land that’s been open to deer killing for 4 months…… leading to 2…
2) the land with high #’s are guys who restrict hunting. They aren’t going to allow this to go on within their boundaries. This doesn’t impact their land where the high #’s are. This further destroys the “every day hunters land” & does nothing for the restrictive land owner.
3) if we really wanna go down deeper,…. Guys seeing land get pounded for 4 months & deer dwindle & shed bucks shot…. They are going to lock up more land and access so everyday guy is hurt.
4) again, the most important thing!!! These areas have all had 4 months of season & 6 deer seasons!!!! The folks hunting the 4 months before shot the deer they wanted or needed to go. When areas got wiped out or hunted hard- the folks of that area stopped buying tags. Why there’s a surplus. Maybe the locals and hunters understood after 4 months “we shot what we wanted, needed and what’s appropriate for deer #’s”. This undercuts the locals ability to manage based on boots on the ground hunters. Takes local management away from them & throws a grenade into the management system…..
JUST LIKE 5 YEARS AGO WHEN WE HAD SHED BUCK SEASON!!!!….. hunters are gonna go out in 2023 & 2024 & say “what the heck?!?! This is bad news. Please stop!!!!” And hopefully get it removed again. Hunters were up in arms and stopped it. History needs to repeat here. Sad it’s gonna take pain to get there but we have a battle coming - AGAIN.

Last edited:
Excess Tag Season?!? So any leftover doe tag is good to use? Even an unfilled antlerless archery tag?

I find it interesting that the only legal weapon is a rifle and that shotguns and muzzleloaders are not allowed.

Not really sure on the point of this season. It says Population management. But I read it as big insurance company money pushing to thin the deer herd down to nothing.
Bingo!!!! This is 100% a very simplified version of how/why it went down….
Rep. Rosenboom had guy in his district (or several) get busted with a major amount of poached deer. Poacher had a fit about how massive the fines would be & got with rozenboom to get Justice on his “fines for killing giant rats” (I believe he ended up getting off). Rozendoom hates deer & had a handful of local farmers who hate deer all get together to wage war on them. Reduce fines, get anything past to kill more deer, etc. They joined forces with farm bureau and their lobbyists. All they want “kill all the deer!!” They lobbied the other politicians & this is what you get. This is from a group of politicians that don’t hunt (vast majority) or are not serious hunters). The insurance lobby wins. The hunters will soon realize they lose. All this stuff is driven by politicians and special interests. Heck, I remember talking to someone pretty high up at farm bureau maybe 5-7 years ago. He explained “we have about 5 extremely vocal & powerful members of farm bureau that farm & hate deer. They make a massive amount of noise & influence & those few guide the direction of our drive to kill the deer off”. Politics is a nasty world & its reach absolutely gets deep into how deer are managed.

• Deleted by seven twenty
Show…
Excess Tag Season?!? So any leftover doe tag is good to use? Even an unfilled antlerless archery tag?

I find it interesting that the only legal weapon is a rifle and that shotguns and muzzleloaders are not allowed.
I thought you had to purchase the tag after Dec 15th- a leftover doe tag doesn’t count that was previously purchased. But I also have no clue and no desire to even try it.

Not at all, it’ll have its own tags that go on sale the 11th. The excess they are talking about is the unsold tags in the counties quota. Not tags that went unfilled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So can out of state guys (like from Missouri):rolleyes: go up and shoot does in Wayne County .. or is it resident only ?

Don’t worry, MDC is doing a good job of destroying our deer herd as well. Will be the next IL in no time..

All hunters will need a new license because current one ends January 10. That's possibly one of the reasons why these tags are not sold online. The forced interaction with a license vendor will allow for this info to be discussed.

Non resident licenses are $144. County specific antlerless tags are $266.50. alternatively, special holiday antlerless is $91, so these late tags may hit that price.

In summary, at a minimum, a non resident would be at $235 (up to $410) to shoot a single doe. I can't see this "opportunity" very appealing.

All hunters will need a new license because current one ends January 10. That's possibly one of the reasons why these tags are not sold online. The forced interaction with a license vendor will allow for this info to be discussed.

Non resident licenses are $144. County specific antlerless tags are $266.50. alternatively, special holiday antlerless is $91, so these late tags may hit that price.

In summary, at a minimum, a non resident would be at $235 (up to $410) to shoot a single doe. I can't see this "opportunity" very appealing.
The reason the tags are not available online is due to the short time period of them being on sale and when they need to be in the hunters possession for hunting.
As for the non resident aspect I have no idea.

4) again, the most important thing!!! These areas have all had 4 months of season & 6 deer seasons!!!! The folks hunting the 4 months before shot the deer they wanted or needed to go.
Exactly! On my Ringgold lease at best the ratio is 1 doe to 1 buck and honestly I think there might be more bucks than does. My wife and I had tags but after seeing the numbers this year we purposely didn't take any off the farm because the numbers we were seeing didn't suggest we should take them. Not only is this increasing the risk of taking shed bucks but in our case no more does need to be taken either.

Math nerd here, tracking county specific tags available today.
830am - 4623
930am - 4368
255 tags sold within an hour
Also tracking deer harvest report to see how many of these tags report a harvested deer.

Counties that sold 20+ tags were:
Adams, clarke, Dallas, Madison, Taylor, union, wapello

The two counties with the highest remaining quotas (allamakee and Wayne) sold a total of 3 tags.
The two counties with the least remaining quotas (Taylor and union) sold 49 tags and only have 4 left

Top Bottom