Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cover Crops????

D

Droptine316

I just wanted to throw this question out there to see what everyone else is doing. I have 5 food plots that are strictly clover/alfalfa blends. Should I be using a nurse crop such as oats or rye that will come up quick and nurse the clover along??

The oats are really a hinderence to the clover or alfalfa if you can avoid using them. Most plant oats to because they grow fast and shade out weeds. It's an age old practice and it still works well, however now we have herbicides to do the trick. Your seeding will grow faster without competition from the oats and in a food plot situation...how are you going to remove the oats?
A farmer will often harvest the oats for grain or bale them green but a foodplotter has no way to do that.
If you get a little flush of weeds, you can clip them off above the clover...just don't let them get to thick and heavy or they will suffocate the clover after you mow them.

2-4DB can be used on broadleafs and Poast for grasses if you want to use herbicide.

I mixed wheat with clover on a fresh seeding last year and topped the wheat when it went to seed. My clover did great and is still looking good this year. I have a few weeds but not bad for never spraying.

Top Bottom