Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

coyote hounds

Windwalker

Life Member
Why is it legal to cast hounds ? If the property owner has cattle but not a feed lot it still shouldnt be legal. Isnt it like legal trepassing ? I've seen hounds cast just to drive deer off of private property where deer hunting was kept for family hunters. I think this law needs changed.

Every argument that I've heard about this is the owner of the dog says, "dogs can't read signs" although you know good and well that they cast the dogs in a certain spot. It should be illegal for one to cast dogs onto private property where permission hasn't been granted.

Shouldn't be legal. Sure I'll get flamed for this, bring it on (though nothing you can say will change my mind and I most likely won't respond)!

We run alot of hounds for coyotes and it can get tricky with this situation. We have started dogs on property five miles away from farms we don't have permission on and yes the dogs have run into them. We try to catch them before they get into these places, but when 3 or 4 dogs are in hot pursuit its nearly impossible to tackle them and stop them.

Totally understanding your point about deer hunting (which is numbero uno with me) we wait till after shotgun deer seasons are over before running the dogs. This way it keeps lots of landowners who shotgun hunt and other hunters happier. Sometimes but very rarely and completely unintentionally you will run into someone late muzzy or bowhunting. If everyone understands and respects other hunters and landowners wishes it can work out very well.

Shrek1, most people do not have a problem with dogs running a coyote across their ground, it happens when they are chasin. But what really fires people up is when they cast the dogs in a certain timber that they do not have permission on, then play it like they turned them loose somewhere else. My dad used to have a ton of coyote hounds, and the group he hunts with still have a bunch. So a dog just "runnin through" doesn't upset as many as directly casting them into a place where they aren't supposed to be.

Totally agree! I guess we wouldn't even think of doing that.

One solution to stopping them from doing that is to start shooting them. One or two dead hounds and I bet that would change their minds about casting them in. Might sound a little hasty to some but, we have a certain guy that runs hounds around here that has no morals and 2 of his got shot during a deer season for running through things when they should not have been. The farmer that shot them didn't get in any trouble for it either. I totally understood his actions.

Casting dogs to chase deer is illegal. I'm sure if the dnr seen someone shoot a deer that was being chased by a dog they would right a ticket. As far as hounds chasing a coyote on a dead run in one direction, they can be almost impossible to stop. If you made it illegal for dogs to trespass than you would just have to quit using hounds period.

I can understand the hound on a hot yote trail. When alot of your ground has 48 inch woven wire and the dogs are picked up and dropped on the otherside of the fence its a diff matter. There is no fair way for the trespass law to apply here. The only way is with permission. Sure its tough to enforce. The shooting of any dog even a stray is tough to do. Alot of dogs are dropped in the country because some owner doesn't have the balls to solve their own probs. The property loss can be substantial.

I see both sides of the fence on this. It seems any of the hound hunters I've ever known are about half and half when it comes to letting their dogs to onto property they can't set foot on otherwise. Some, like shrek1, try to comply with landowners and that in itself is pretty rare. Others, like the ones around my mom and dads, just let'm run and that really cheeses my a$$. That just ain't right.

I guess this is why when we ran coyotes we never used dogs, just vehicles, and kept it clean. We still managed to lay'm down just fine.

Yes I've actually seen the dogs picked up and dropped on the other side of the fence.The biggest loss was when they went into our feed lot and lost five 800 to 1000 lb fat cattle to a pile up in a corner ! Guess what set me off was running 18 deer off of me yesterday. Its a 1 1/2 x2 mile section. The were chasing deer not yotes. Was looking forward to picking up a few shed from 3 bucks that blew out of there. I really doubt if they will come back after being run like that. Guess the only way for the law to change is have some government official loose some horses to barbe wire or cattle. I really worry about kids. Had 5 yote hounds attack my lab in the yard at 3 am. The dog was chained up and couldnt get away. Its getting to be a real prob out here.

Sounds like its time to get out the shotgun full of #4 buckshot. I'm not one for shooting dogs, but dang, thats going a little far.

Last weekend when I was down south hunting, I stopped at a farmers to ask who owned the woods next door (that had 20 deer bed down in). He pointed the house at where the people live, and I drove over there. His golden retriever followed me, well, I should say ran 25mph ahead of me. I stopped at the peoples house, and sure enough that dog went barking into the woods and all the deer went bye bye.

Windwalker, i would venture to say that if you are seeing the people lift their dogs over your fence and put them on your side of fence then they are just asking to be shot. If i were in your shoes and this was happening especially if you told them they could not be on your land or if they didn't even ask permission that it might be time to start killing them till they get the point, especially if they are causing damages. Plus if they are causing that much damage I think maybe it is time to try to catch one of them and wait for owner to come get their dog then call the cops and show them all the damage the dogs caused.

Top Bottom