Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coyote Killing “Contest” for iowa - register!!! Share!!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Buddy sent this to me. I’m a horrible coyote hunter but I’m going to learn. They are a major plague to the state so that’s why I’ll promote any killing of them possible!!!!! They are at epidemic levels & stuff like this looks cool!!!! No affiliation but I love coyote killing!!!! For u guys with skills- looks like they have good $ prizes!! Fun & benefit to Iowa’s deer herd. & for anyone else- here’s your reminder….. KILL EM ALL!!!!!!

All details of event here:

I’m not a fan of coyotes, but I’m not a fan of killing contests either. I just feel like it does nothing but give ammo for the anti’s. This is not a fact based thought at all, just an opinion. I saw pics from a furbearer contest earlier this fall, where they literally took a side dump trailer to the dump and just pitched over 2000 coons. As a fur harvester this just rubbed me the wrong way. They need to be managed without a doubt, I just believe there has to be a better way.

I’m not a fan of coyotes, but I’m not a fan of killing contests either. I just feel like it does nothing but give ammo for the anti’s. This is not a fact based thought at all, just an opinion. I saw pics from a furbearer contest earlier this fall, where they literally took a side dump trailer to the dump and just pitched over 2000 coons. As a fur harvester this just rubbed me the wrong way. They need to be managed without a doubt, I just believe there has to be a better way.
Fair point & fair opinion. & I am sure we both agree- we wish fur prices would sky rocket.

Here’s the other perspective that I feel more aligned with…. There’s a lot of examples in the US (or world) where certain animals are “out of balance” & “drastic measures” need to be taken to control. Few examples….
-South Dakota offers bounty on coons & maybe a few other nest raiders as they are so overpopulated they are ravaging the ground laying nesting bird population & of course this includes pheasants but also birds like turkey, waterfowl, etc etc etc. The trappers have dwindled so they had to come up with plan B.

-hogs in Texas or other states down south. Ravaging fields, ecosystems, etc. “Kill em all” by any means.

-pythons in the Everglades killing off wide array of native animals. Contests & bounties on them at least making a dent.

Here’s my 2 cents or opinion on coyotes…. It’s beyond “unbalanced”…. I have never in my life seen coyote numbers at this insane level. It’s beyond out of hand. Epidemic levels. Some areas can handle it but some can’t…. They are ravaging fawns & other animals in spring. In the fall- they can hunt deer like wolves. Instead of 2-3 coyotes like 10-20 years ago…. I’ll see packs of 10-12 often. I’ve seen them chase & take down a mature buck. I’ve seen them target a mature buck that had the slightest injury from a fight during the rut (found that buck later dead & im 10000% sure coyotes took him down). The most effective tool for coyotes is trapping - that’s been absent for the most part, for 7-8 years now. They multiply like Gremlins jumping in a swimming pool!!!!! Guys running em with dogs doesn’t come close to keeping up. Government used to use compound 1080 to kill them but that was 40-50 years ago (& did work). My hope…. The thermals & night vision hunters explode!!!! It’s fun, a lot of dudes like it and they can kill a lot. More guys the better. I sure hope fur prices come back as well. Bottom line- we have a HUUUGGGGEEEE coyote problem & short of dropping Napalm out of B-52’s to burn em up…. Hope they get killed in high #’s this winter. For the health of the whole ecosystem!!! Even anti-hunters might perk up (irrational people from the start so mostly a waste of time) if they understood the damage being done to other animals.

This organization is a faith based group out of Pella. They have several different events throughout the year for sportsmen and women.
There winter banquet is a good event to attend with awesome raffles, great live auction items and a super feed yourself buffet style meal from a local catering service that has Dutch roots ( Dutch women can cook)
Great bunch of guys that make this organization succeed!

You have good points skip. If there was a fur market at all, it would help a lot! I don’t necessarily want the market to explode, but an uptick would be nice. When the market is good, a lot of idiots come out of nowhere, and dudes like me who trap regardless of the market, have lots of gear stolen, even on private property.

You have good points skip. If there was a fur market at all, it would help a lot! I don’t necessarily want the market to explode, but an uptick would be nice. When the market is good, a lot of idiots come out of nowhere, and dudes like me who trap regardless of the market, have lots of gear stolen, even on private property.
You are what we need more of!!!!! Dudes that do it for the love & not the $!!!!
It seems like there’s a group of guys who love the hunt - “with the calls & their AR’s” are growing. They seem to have a blast & hope that keeps growing. Passionate trappers and hunters - I’ve always welcomed them on my land. Lot of guys are begging for them right now in actuality!!

This organization is a faith based group out of Pella. They have several different events throughout the year for sportsmen and women.
There winter banquet is a good event to attend with awesome raffles, great live auction items and a super feed yourself buffet style meal from a local catering service that has Dutch roots ( Dutch women can cook)
Great bunch of guys that make this organization succeed!

That’s how I heard about it. Buddy from MI who runs a faith based group- very similar - sent me the link. Very cool!!!

I’d say 1% of trappers catch 80% of the coyotes and the same with callers. The guys that know what they are doing will have success. But the guys just doing it to do it are only educating the animals.

I can see how these contest can bring out the bad in people too though. Like I think it’d be fun and aren’t against them if the fur is getting collected. But I can see how those prizes and money signs can get people doing sketchy things to win. But the guys that know what they are doing are usually the top teams every time.

IMO we’ll never get ahead of the curb on coyotes. They are too adaptable and smart. I know a guy who caught 27 in a week on an 40 acre crop field this year. Few weeks later I drive by and there’s 4 more standing in the field. Yeah we can pressure them and they’ll move out, until you stop pressuring them and they are right back. So if you want to help the deer herd hunt coyotes now and when fawns are dropping. I don’t really hunt them when the fawns are dropping because I’m not about killing them just to kill them. But to each their own. If you want some nice pelts though nows the time.

On another note, if anyone is looking for some coyotes shot send me a pm. I have my stuff ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I didn’t have a 3 year old daughter and a full time job, I’d trap like crazy and hunt them harder. But alas, I’m stuck working with Curtis. Which I suppose is an ok secondary prize.

If I didn’t have a 3 year old daughter and a full time job, I’d trap like crazy and hunt them harder. But alas, I’m stuck working with Curtis. Which I suppose is an ok secondary prize.

I mean I have plenty of time I can spend chasing them this year… I think the kids the real anchor lol

You work with Curtis? What is he like in person? No doubt he is very artistic.....the way he represents himself in his avatars in amazing. Fluid....ever changing.......chameleon.

I want everyone here to let a trapper/caller/houndsmen in.
Don't be worried about "your deer" getting spooked.
A trapper seldom leaves the road far, deer barely pay hounds no mind.
Every coyote dead is one less coyote, no matter the take.
Heck, join in a hound hunt. Ask the group if you can. Most will GLADLY welcome you along.

One man's prize is another's punishment.
I'm all for the killing contest becausw those populations need to be controlled, but would like to see the hides salvaged. The side dump of coons was something I didn't like either. Especially when the value of them has ticked up a bit. There's plenty of people out there that would have put in some work and made some coin off them.

One man's prize is another's punishment.
I'm all for the killing contest becausw those populations need to be controlled, but would like to see the hides salvaged. The side dump of coons was something I didn't like either. Especially when the value of them has ticked up a bit. There's plenty of people out there that would have put in some work and made some coin off them.

What are good coyote pelts bringing now days? Or what’s the range? & raccoon prices???
I’d love to magically see them be like $50-100 for coyotes & $20-30 for coons…. That would help High school & college kids really get into the sport & pay the bills.

What are good coyote pelts bringing now days? Or what’s the range? & raccoon prices???
I’d love to magically see them be like $50-100 for coyotes & $20-30 for coons…. That would help High school & college kids really get into the sport & pay the bills.

Iowa coyotes are damn near worthless this year. You might get $10 if they’ll even buy them off of you. Coyotes were booming about 3-4 years ago averaging about $40

Your northern green skinned coons are about $1/LG $3/XL $6/2X $10/3-4X $15/5x might be a dollar more now that was the last update I saw

Top Bottom