Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cross Dominance (Eye to Hand)

So, lately my kiddos have expressed interest in hunting, which I'm all for! I have determined that both are right handed and left eye dominant. I'm right eye/right handed. So the question is, do I teach them to shoot left handed based on their left eye dominance, or try to have them use their right eye to shoot right handed?

If they're relatively ambidextrous with what hand they do stuff with, then I'd recommend teaching them to use their dominant left eye and shoot left-handed.

If they do everything right-handed, then I'd recommend teaching them to shoot right-handed.

Left-handed bow shopping is a chore too, and most guns are setup to eject shells correctly for a right-handed shooter.

I am mainly a "righty", but do all of my shooting as a "lefty" because of eye dominance. I tried, and struggled, way back to shoot righty and have been shooting as a lefty for 50'ish years.

I am right-handed and left eyed dominant. I shoot a right-hand bow and have done so for 50 years. I always close my left eye when I shoot so my dominant eye doesn't try to take over. At first, I had to remind myself to close it, but after time it just became part of my shooting routine, and I don't even think about it anymore. You could have them wear a patch over their left eye to help train themselves. Otherwise have them shoot lefty. They are young enough that they can probably learn it without too much effort.

I do everything right handed except shooting a gun and bow. That is left handed. I literally can't close my left eye and trying to shoot right handed was NOT good lol. I will say trying to buy left hand equipment can be super annoying nothing ever seems to be in stock. Do whatever they are most comfortable with. It is super frustrating as a kid when you are struggling with shooting, makes it not enjoyable.

My dad shot left and was right for everything else. I'm right everything. My son is right everything except eye dominance. I'm having him shoot left.

My son is 10 and just getting to age he'll be doing some hunting. We discovered when he was 6 he was left eye dominant (right handed). I did a lot of research at that time, and concluded he'd be better off learning to shoot left handed. He started that day with nerf and toy guns and never looked back. He's a very good left handed shooter.

I do everything right handed except shooting a gun and bow. That is left handed. I literally can't close my left eye and trying to shoot right handed was NOT good lol. I will say trying to buy left hand equipment can be super annoying nothing ever seems to be in stock. Do whatever they are most comfortable with. It is super frustrating as a kid when you are struggling with shooting, makes it not enjoyable.
Yes, I will add that for some odd reason, I have never been able to close just my left eye. I can do the right eye all by itself, but not the left in isolation. So that kind of made the decision for me I guess. I am not sure what I would have done had I been able to close my left eye...

Yes, I will add that for some odd reason, I have never been able to close just my left eye. I can do the right eye all by itself, but not the left in isolation. So that kind of made the decision for me I guess. I am not sure what I would have done had I been able to close my left eye...
Ya I haven't either kind of strange. All my buddies pick on me when I shot clays as to that's why I'm so bad lol

I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I've shot right handed my whole life though and never had an issue. I shoot with both eyes open.

I actually had a similar issue when I was growing up. However, mine was not being able to close only my left eye for some odd reason. I did exercises to learn to close only my left eye which became 2nd nature in no time. I actually used to use an eye patch over my left eye to ensure I was only using my right eye to focus on the sights.

Not sure if this will help at all as it's a different situation. But I would much rather train my eyes to be more comfortable with training them instead of trying to shoot offhand.

I'm left eye dominant, and shoot guns left handed with both eyes open. I shoot a bow right handed and have to remember to close my left eye. The only issue I've had was in H.S. and my 1st chance at what I considered a large buck at the time presented an opportunity. In the heat of the moment I drew, lined everything up, and shot three feet left taking his tail clean off. I figured out I had both eyes open so my left eye took over which caused the errant shot.

I’m a lefty and have always shot right hand, right eye dominant. I am fairly ambidextrous with tools but not guns.

My wife is right handed and struggled shooting until I figured out she is left eye dominant. Then she did better than me.

Don’t fight nature I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like it's a mixed bag of opinions/experiences. They have only shot either a bow or toy guns a few times as we have yet to get them their own. Since they are right handed, they naturally pick each up to shoot right handed. However, with the gun, they will lean over the stock to use their left eye. Not sure how they do with a bow as I haven't had much chance to notice. Wondered if it was easier to teach to use non-dominate eye or non-dominate hand, but looks like there is success both ways.

Has anyone noticed any major difference in what draw weight you could use if you would your dominate hand? I guess any difference wouldn't matter, as long as they could get to a good weight for hunting with the non-dominate hand.

Wondering if an ambidextrous starter bow is the way to go, so they can try it both ways and see what is easier for them. For a gun, I'm sure I could have them try both ways with the guns we have (right handed) before getting something left-handed.

The draw weight was my biggest concern with being right hand dominant. I started bow hunting my Jr year of highschool so it was a little different not being a young kid. There was zero problems with drawing or pulling enough weight. Whatever way they shoot best is the way I'd teach them.

Top Bottom