Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crossbows in IA????

m_kat

Any one else heard of anything about some of the administrators with in the Department of Natural Resources trying to push allowing crossbows for everyone(non-disabled) during archery season?
I have heard they are trying to get it written in the administrative rules so it won't be voted on.... Like some of the other things they have done. Sounds like it is causing quite an internal ruckus. All of this is not first hand info by the way. Could just be another mountain lion sighting
smirk.gif
.. but unfortunately I don't think so.

hoofline.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Any one else heard of anything about some of the administrators with in the Department of Natural Resources trying to push allowing crossbows for everyone(non-disabled) during archery season?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that the crossbow industry is going to continue to lobby the
DNR and our State Reps for a crossbow season.

And yes there are several DNR Administrators who for several years now have been trying very hard to get a crossbow season in Iowa. It seems to be a personal agenda for a couple of them.

1366.jpg

Protect your hunting future, join & support the IBA! Join Now!

hoofline.gif

Blasted people don't know when to leave things alone. Sad sad day if something like that goes thru.

And just why would that be so darn terrible?

They've got the same or less range as verticle bows.

Oh, I know, there might be more people enjoying bow hunting and you might have a little more crowded hunt.

Just like the defense of Early Muzzle loader season by many here it wasn't for muzzleloaders it was to keep people out of the woods during "Bow" season.

"End of the world" you say, shoot, just more self serving close mindedness.

I'm new to the site so my opinion prly does not count for much to some of the old timers here but in my opinion crossbows would be a welcome addition to an already stellar hunting situation for IA residents. The crossbow issue of today is really not much different than the compound bow issue was 20+ years ago. I for one, would welcome crossbows into the field.

...I believe crossbows were legalized for bow season this legislative session...though you must be 70 years old or older...

The big difference between cross bows and compound/recurve/longbows is the abillity to leave the gun rest on your tree stand and take a rock steady shot. I sure wish there was something out there that would keep me from shaking like a leaf when the deer are anywhere close to my stand. Oh yeah, there is something out there, its called Valium.

Bottom line for me is not the speed of the bows, either cross or compound, its the "pull the trigger" ease of a cross bow. The cross bow will never get muscle fatigue from drawing and then the deer moves behind a bush. Sure a compound is easier than a recurve and a recurve is easier than a long bow but all three need muscle discipline as opposed to the cross bow which only needs a tug on the string to "cock" it.

As with anything in life, follow the money. Who would have been the bottom line beneficiaries of an in increase in early ML tags? The companies that manufacture the guns and effemra that go along with it. Who would be the bottom line beneficiaries of permitting unlimited cross bow usage? The compaines that manufacture cross bows and the effemra that goes along with it.

If cross bows keep hunters with upperbody disabillites hunting, great. Otherwise, keep the cross bow rules as they are.

The 'Bonker

It's kind of a toss up for me, half the people out there I wish used them, just because they would probably actually kill what they are aiming at. The other side says I bet alot more people would be shooting out of the truck window with one or taking a little more risky shots just because they have a crossbow. I can see how it would be easier for a person to get a shot off if the deer had spotted you before you drew back, but who knows. Hunting is hunting though, you still gotta get close to them, so I really don't know what to think on this one.
confused.gif

It's an absoulute MUST to permit crossbow hunting and promote it as well.

ANY additional hunting opportunities that we can create may actually save our passion.

The numbers tell the story.. fewer and fewer taking to the field every year. The same hunters cannot continue to support the industry. More must be done.

Legalize it. Promote it and embrace it.
It's the end... it's a start.

I'd be interested to see the numbers. Are these people "firearms hunters" that take on an additional season or is it a whole new group of people that wouldn't have ever hunted if crossbows weren't established? I have a hard time believing the latter myself.

I think the only true way to bring more people into hunting is being proactive ourselves. Take a kid hunting, don't expect the crossbow to do it for us.

i have to agree with bonker. the limits currently on them are fine. leave crossbows for the handicapped and elderly. if you MUST use a crossbow, then use the shotgun/late antlerless seasons

I have watched many crossbow debates from the sidelines and have tried to gather facts that would support one opinion over the other. In doing so I have formed the personal opinion (likely to be an unpopular one) that crossbows should be allowed during archery season.

The crossbows effective range is very similar to a compound. The main difference is one is "aim and shoot", the other is "draw, aim and shoot".

The whole crossbow controversy is not supported by factual data that suggests crossbows have an advantage over compounds; it is based almost entirely on emotion.

...just my 2 cents.

[ QUOTE ]
Let’s start first with the International Bowhunter Education Program (IBEP) definition of a bow. Their definition of a bow is “one that is hand held, hand drawn, and released with nothing attached to the bow that will allow the bow to be mechanically held in a drawn or cocked position.”
The Pope & Young Club has a similar definition, stating “a longbow, recurve, or compound bow that is handheld and hand drawn, and that has no mechanical device to enable the hunter to lock the bow at full or partial draw. Other than the energy stored by the drawn bow, no device to propel the arrow will be permitted.” The P&Y club does not recognize the crossbow to be a hunting bow and will not accept any trophies collected by crossbow hunters.
Norb Mullaney, a professional engineer whose bow reports have been read in a number of outdoor magazines, is recognized as a leading authority on the physics of bows. He states that “the hand held bow has one characteristic that distinguishes it from a crossbow or any type of firearm. The internal ballistics are a function of the shooter, his or her physical geometry and capabilities, shooting form, consistency and reaction to stress and trauma. In the crossbow and firearms, the internal ballistics are fixed. The action of the shooter in triggering a release of energy does nothing more than initiate a process that is consistent and repetitive. The hand held bow is different. Every action of the shooter contributes something either positive or negative to the interior ballistic process. As the interior ballistics vary, so do the exterior ballistics. Shooting the hand held bow and arrow is much more complicated than aiming a fixed system of ballistics and touching off the energy discharge. The total energy to draw, hold and release the bow must come directly and unassisted from the shooter’s muscle power.”
I know that this was a long way to make a point, but the definitions are important when we have to make decisions of this magnitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am all for increasing the opportunities for hunters to spend any day in the field whether young/old, beginner or experienced.

But, lets not for a minute say that a "crossgun and a bow" are the same thing.

When I am no longer physically able to draw a bow, you can bet your life that I will be packing a crossbow to the field each year.

Speaking of statistics, Ohio is an interesting state to do a little research on.

A crossbow may not have any further capabilities than today's modern compound, and quite possibly less capabilities.

But, think about this example for a minute if you will.

Take an average two weekend a year gun hunter. Place a target at 25 yards. First hand him a "loaded" crossbow and have him "fire" it at the target. Then take this same hunter, hand him a compound bow, with sights and a peep, and a release, have him shoot at the target.

Which do you think will be closer to the center of the target, the arrow or the bolt?

A crossbow is just another weapon to kill a deer with, but lets not say that it is the same as a bow.
grin.gif

Old folks or disabled...I have no problem with them being used...healthy person, pure laziness IMO. A crossbow is not a bow no matter which way you put it and should not be allowed during the bow seasons except for the personal exclusions as noted above.

[ QUOTE ]
Old folks or disabled...I have no problem with them being used...healthy person, pure laziness IMO. A crossbow is not a bow no matter which way you put it and should not be allowed during the bow seasons except for the personal exclusions as noted above.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that!

Crossbow and a bow definitely two different weapons, and anyone who thinks that 300lb. pulls and a firearm type mentality doesn't give you a significant advantage over a traditional bow, where you actually have to put time and effort in year round to stay on top of your shooting is crazy.

In addition, I don't know two many people that have shot deer at 70yds. with a traditional compound, however I only know one gentleman who uses a crossbow and he informs me that this range is definitely not a reach. In my opinion if you allow the crossbow during the normal bow season you are dramatically going to hurt the quality deer in our state.

Blind Sow asked me to post this ...
[ QUOTE ]
Aug. 5, 2005

To Whom It May Concern,

The representatives of 32 state and provincial-level bowhunting organizations met on April 17-18 in Springfield, Missouri at the first “NATIONAL BOWHUNTING SUMMIT”. The purpose of the summit was to share information and develop strategies to resolve issues of greatest concern and to establish a permanent communications network of bowhunting organizations that will work together on behalf of bowhunting.
A major issue addressed by the summit attendees was the use of crossbows during archery-only hunting seasons. It was immediately apparent that the attendees were unified as being strongly opposed to the use of crossbows in any bowhunting season. State and provincial representatives unanimously agreed that crossbows are not bows and should not be allowed in archery-only seasons.
A hunting bow is recognized as a compound, recurve or longbow that is hand-drawn and that has no mechanical device to enable the hunter to lock the bow at full or partial draw. Crossbows, on the other hand, are locked at full draw by a trigger, utilize a rifle-like stock, have rigidly controlled internal ballistics, can readily be shot from a rest and typically use a telescopic sight. A crossbow’s characteristics are so vastly different from those of conventional bows that summit attendees agreed that crossbows would negatively impact bowhunting seasons if allowed in archery-only seasons.
While the group recognized and supported the rights of hunters who choose to use other legal weapons in separate hunting seasons, they stood unanimously opposed to any effort to establish hunting season regulations where the ultimate aim is the inclusion of crossbows in bowhunting seasons or in archery-only areas.
The below signed organizations and bowhunting-related businesses have joined the National Bowhunting Summit conferees in believing that, in order to preserve the integrity of bowhunting, it is vital that crossbows not be permitted in bow seasons or archery-only hunting areas.

Respectfully,

Alabama Society of Traditional Bowmen
Alaskan Bowhunters Association
Alberta Bowhunters Association
Alberta Traditional Bowhunters
Archery Big Bucks of Missouri
Archery Past (OR)
Association of Traditional Hunting Archers
Bayou State Bowhunters (LA)
Bob’s Archery Sales (CO)
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Bowhunters of Alabama
Bowhunters of Wyoming
Carolina Traditional Archers Traditional Bowhunters of Montana Colorado Bowhunters Association Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
Compton Traditional Bowhunters United Bowhunters of Connecticut
Georgia Bowhunters Association United Bowhunters of Illinois
Green Mountain Traditional Bowhunters United Bowhunters of Kentucky
Horse Creek Traditional Archery Club (FL) United Bowhunters of Missouri
Idaho State Bowhunters United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Idaho Traditional Bowhunters United Bowhunters Pennsylvania
Illinois Bowhunters Society Virginia Bowhunters Association
Indiana Bowhunters Association Wakulla Archery Club (FL)
Iowa Bowhunters Association Washington State Bowhunters
Iowa Traditional Bowhunters Society Washington State Archery Association
Kansas Bowhunters Association West Virginia Bowhunters Association
Lone Star Bowhunters Association (TX) Wisconsin Bowhunters Association
Maine Bowhunters Association
Maine Traditional Archers
Maryland Bowhunters Society
Massachusetts Bowhunters Association
Michigan Bow Hunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Minnesota Bowhunters, Inc.
Mississippi Bowhunters Association
Missouri Bow Hunters Association
Montana Bowhunters Association
Nebraska Bowhunters Association
Nebraska Traditional Archers
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
North Carolina Bowhunters Association
North Dakota Bowhunters Association
Northern Bowhunters Association (AB)
Ohio Bowhunters Association
Oregon Bow Hunters
Pennsylvania Association of Traditional Hunting Archers
Pope and Young Club
Professional Bowhunters Society
South Carolina Bowhunters Association
South Dakota Bowhunters, Inc.
Suburban Whitetail Management of North Georgia
Suncoast Archers, Inc. (FL)
Tallahassee Bowhunters Association (FL)
Traditional Bowhunters of California
Traditional Bowhunter Magazine
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of Oregon
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia

[/ QUOTE ]

When should they be allowed? Along with early muzzleloader? Push back bow season a week so there is a special season before the start of bow season?

I don't use either right now so makes no difference to me. I won't buy a cross bow no matter what happens and I won't start bow hunting until I can devote enough time to it.

Top Bottom