Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crossbows soon to be legal???

Sometimes you just got to delete the long reply you have to a post because it is not worth it. You are either for them or against them.

I am against them in the regular archery season. I think back to all the deer I have messed up on with a bow and think what if I would have had my scoped 12 gauge. I would have had a lot of big deer on the wall. Stupid mistakes happen with a bow that does not happen with a gun at short ranges of 30 yards or less. A crossbow at 30 yards or less really is no different than a gun in my mind and those deer would be dead. Very little movement while aquiring target, crosshair behind shoulder, pull trigger and minimal buck fever.

If the state had a one buck rule, one tag good for all seasons, I could care less if crossbows were allowed during bow season. With a crap deer herd, 2 buck a year rule, a highly efficient weapon at typical bow ranges that takes little to no practice to be good with I do not support them at this time. I also heard they cause EHD, CWD and no rain in SE Iowa. :)

Good point, with multiple buck rule now one is going to be a crossbow kill

It will soon be legal throughout the whole season.

Same thing happened in my area with muzzleloaders. No season soon turned into a 16 day muzzleloader season in MN. They will gradually be allowed during the rut and all.

You would think we were talking about a rifle with a string on it. It still has limited range. Still has drop at different ranges still need to shoot to know those ranges. That is the same as a bow........ Mobile Cooter

Same as a pistol, should pistols be allowed during archery season because the have a shorter range? No

Aahhh change...... THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my tab 2 using IW

MY OPINION & BELIEF ON GENERAL CROSSBOW DISCUSSION WHEN IT COMES & IT WILL, I'LL BOTTOM LINE THIS.....

Do you guys with "average land" feel like there's more bowhunters than ever competing for land and lots of bucks that need a couple more years get shot on your farms? Hard to find places to hunt? Lose spots?

Well, the "crossbow lobbyists" claim "it will bring up to 50,000 more "bowhunters" to Iowa's woods" or something like that. Unlike Ohio with the 1 buck rule, this could be 50,000 more hunters with arrow guns that also will be out during shotgun shooting another buck. With IOWA only having 5% timber, you think a huge addition of more "bowhunters" won't adversely impact our delicate deer hunting situation?!?!?!? We used to be top notch for trophy buck management - that's in jeopardy right now without adding something like 10's of thousands more crossbow arrow slingers to the mix.

I won't get into the debate of crossbows themselves too deep - I personally think they are short range rifles (scopes, already cocked back- no drawing, hold up like a rifle - aim the crosshairs on scope & shoot). Just my 2 cents.

Iowa will still have a deer herd just like MI has a deer herd BUT just like the quality of MI's deer herd is an absolute joke - Iowa will at least take a few steps towards further hurting our well managed state.

We are CURRENTLY hurting very badly in Iowa in many pockets of the state - throwing another massive monkey wrench like this in a delicate system that has 5% timber, thousands upon thousands of CRP acres being removed, EHD, Late Shed Buck Season, too much competition for bowhunting land to begin with, etc - this would adversely impact us, IMO & strong belief.

It is funny how Archery seasons (bow hunters) are looked upon as selfish when we are asked to give up days in our season.

They say, you already have a long season. Well in my state, we lost 16 days to muzzy, and now what used to be a very enjoyable late season archery hunt, has every deer hunkered in the cattails or thickest part of the woods or they are dead.

I'd see 10-20 deer in a typical late season hunt, now we often see (0) as the pressure is so intense that the deer are nocturnal and we have shot and killed most of the nice bucks.

I believe the bow hunter should stand up and protect his or her season or it will degrade.

Just wait until your joints and muscles get older. Your disgust might change! I still say, to those who fear all the Big Bucks might be wiped out, a steadier shot, better penetration,shooting from the ground,might mean more deer recovered, thus less deer wounded not found. Less deer shot overall.

I will gladly use a crossbow when the time is right.

Iowa will still have a deer herd just like MI has a deer herd BUT just like the quality of MI's deer herd is an absolute joke - Iowa will at least take a few steps towards further hurting our well managed state.

Trust me when I say that the sad state of our herd here in Michigan has nothing to do with using crossbows, it has to do with the hunters. Our herd was in sad shape (in terms of quality of bucks) long before crossbows came on the scene.

If you talk of just the quality of bucks since the crossbow useage was expanded it may be better now than it was a few years before the expansion but that's because more and more people are making an effort to pass small bucks and give some a chance to live a few years. Again though that has nothing to do with the weapon, it has to do with the person holding the weapon.

Trust me, I'm not a fan of x-bows myself and can see the reasons behind why people the worry about their impact. I just think that the reality of what will actually happen vs the "worst case scenario" that people fear are farther apart than some realize.

What is the challenge here? How does this even compare to what we all are doing today?

Agree !
The people that are arguing cross bows have limits similar to regular vertically held bows ..... haven't turned on the outdoor channel in the last 5 years. The modern crossbows are wickedly fast, flat shooting, and since they are held stable on a crossbar or sticks, very accurate to long range (easily 75 yards). The pentration is crazy, you don't even worry about the shoulder blade, just aim at the chest and shoot.

I'm fine with disabled and senior citizen, but that's it. The late season was created for primitive weapons, not bolts and single shot rifles.

Trust me, I'm not a fan of x-bows myself and can see the reasons behind why people the worry about their impact. I just think that the reality of what will actually happen vs the "worst case scenario" that people fear are farther apart than some realize.

This!!!!

I don't really have a dog in the fight over whether or not crossbows are legal for all, or during bow season. Thanks to an aging neck with cervical vertebral arthritis & some pinched nerves, I have used a crossbow for the past 7 years by necessity, not choice. I will assure you that there is nothing "gun like" about the G'damned thing! It is heavy, big, clumsy, noisy and a short range weapon at best. I would go back to a bow in a heartbeat if only I could. It's even very possible to flat a$$ wiff a short range shot with a crossbow (don't ask me how I know :( ). The biggest change we are likely to see IF their use is allowed more freely, is the people selling them will make a bunch of money for a year ot two.Then, when the vast majority of those who run out and buy one realize how magical they are NOT, there will be a bunchof them for sale on Craig's List. Deer hunting as we know it will not be seriously impacted by their use. Support them or not; we shouldn't lose track of the fact that the biggest problems we are facing is the over harvest of does and the late rifle season in the south. There are bigger fish to fry than fretting & stewing over the percieved threat of crossbow use.

Agree !
The people that are arguing cross bows have limits similar to regular vertically held bows ..... haven't turned on the outdoor channel in the last 5 years. The modern crossbows are wickedly fast, flat shooting, and since they are held stable on a crossbar or sticks, very accurate to long range (easily 75 yards). The pentration is crazy, you don't even worry about the shoulder blade, just aim at the chest and shoot.

No I dont watch the outdoor channel. Have you shot a crossbow? How many of you arguing against them have? I can post video of guys shooting rifles thousand yards from a bench in a non hunting situation. Does that mean everyone can do it hunting?

Did something change....... am I suppose to believe everything on TV and the Internet now?

I am not a gun hunter BTW. Life member of the IBA. To me it is a form of a bow and I support it. To each their own.

Sent from my tab 2 using IW

Last edited:
Well....cartoons are fake of course and whatever they put on fox news.

Wow, I actually agree with the above quote.

I knew if talked long enough you'd see come around!!!!:D
Just a heads up though, it's pretty much just me and you on this side of the fence. You probably already knew that though...

Last edited:
Difference is one requires effort and practice to shoot accurately and effectively though it has lessened over the years. The other requires no effort other than to cock it and a few minutes to sight in. Then it is more gun like. I shoot neither and while i don't have a problem with compounds i do with crossbows in bow season. Just a way to get their foot in the door. Too many people already abuse it getting handicap permits from their Dr, because of sore fingers and elbows(ya i know the guys personally). Think the woods are crowded now? The transition will be more gun to crossbow than vertical bow to crossbow thus adding numbers.

I had an elbow injury a few years ago and can no longer draw and shoot a compound bow. I have since bought a crossbow and use that. I absolutely love bow hunting, and the crossbow allows me to still do that. Being I am only 25 now the disability crossbow permit I like, however it does get abused alot. I don't like the crossbow at all compared to when I used a compound in the past. Ive hunted and experienced both, and I do not want to see crossbows legal in bow season.

I'm fine with it I suppose. As long as remains in a firearm season such as early and late muzz season. My fear is if it is allowed during the whole archery season, then there will be that many more people crowding the woods during the rut, thus making more competition for hunting access. I truly believe that our states deer herd is so great because of the structure of our seasons. One little change could open the door for a major impact IMO

Exactly, that's what happened in Pa. Now they're legal to use in every season we have! Most sportsman rejected the idea of legalizing them at the start but it passed eventually. Now I hear of more & more guys are switching over just because I guess. Makes me made, makes it easier for someone to poach while jack lighting too!

Top Bottom