Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CRP seeding

Shredder

Life Member
I have numerous fields of crp on one chunk of ground I hunt on and lately, it has gotten pretty sparse for ground cover. It is a field where getting a tractor in is nearly impossible to work the ground to reseed with other grasses. Is there any seed in particular that I could sow onto the field and get a decent stand of cover plus provide something of the attractant sort for deer without having to work the ground?

Can you get in there with the 4 wheeler and a disc and break up the ground cap? That would be best. My choice would be yellow sweet clover and red clover. The yellow will grow upright, waist to chest high and the red will provide for a ground crover, great for nesting birds. Mix 6-7lbs. yellow with 3-4lbs. red. Broadcast 12-15lbs/acre. Late Feb. early March is Ideal time to plant.

Hunt on All4s

Frost cast? Spreading seed on frosted, not frozen ground, when the sun melts the frosted ground it sorta sucks the seed into it? Do I have it right?

The 'Bonker

Frost casting is easy and inexpensive. The idea is to spread seed(clover) over the snow that way it is easy to see where you have spread it. When the snow melts then the seed will germinate and you will have clover in several weeks. You don't really have to do it on the snow, now is a good time to do it. You really don't want to wait much longer. The main thing to do is to mow it around July, that way it will keep the weeds out. I have taken a big weed eater in some places I could'nt take a tracker. It works well but takes alittle time. $50.00 worth of clover goes along way. good luck.

Thanks for the explanation. I have heard of seeding lawns like that. I'd be concerned that the snow melt and resulting run off would carry the seeds way.

The 'Bonker

Burn it off if possible, you would be surprised at the amount of native grasses that you will come back.

I would love to burn it all off....maybe I could find the sheds I have been looking for. As a quick fix, I seeded some wheat in the bare spots in hopes of providing some food and cover for this year. Next year I am going to get a disc up there and get a good stand of sweet clover and a 2 acre corn plot. I just need a way to keep the deer local post season and protect them during the late season. Thanks for the replies fellas

Top Bottom