Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Current Timber sale Lumber prices

After allot of searching I found this on Iowa Timber Talk web site (https://iowawoodlandowners.org/iwoa-news/) this was April 2021 Here is what they said.

What we have been seeing in recent timber sales is that the prices remain strong with the demand being most high for White Oak, Walnut and both Soft and Hard Maple. Woods Run Prices for Standing Timber March 2021 (Species Prices/Board Foot): Black Walnut $2.00- $4.00; White Oak $0.60-$0.80; Bur Oak $0.30- $0.60; Sugar Maple $0.45-$0.50; Silver Maple $0.30-$0.35; Red Oak $0.30; Black Cherry $0.25; Hickory $0.20; Black Oak $0.15-$0.20; Ash $0.15- $0.20; Basswood $0.10; Elm $0.10; Hackberry $0.10; Cottonwood $0.10

That is interesting. Surprises me that black cherry is so low on that list. There was a guy in MN that paid a friend almost $1000 for one tree. A good black cherry will command a premium here.

That is interesting. Surprises me that black cherry is so low on that list. There was a guy in MN that paid a friend almost $1000 for one tree. A good black cherry will command a premium here.
Agreed. Black Cherry is as much as black walnut to purchase. I'm guessing it's because BC don't grow that well in Iowa. They grown much better farther north.

Talked with a mill today paying 40 cents board ft for pallet wood trees at the mill you have to cut and transport there. Logger said 16 cents board ft for standing pallet wood trees.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Agreed. Black Cherry is as much as black walnut to purchase. I'm guessing it's because BC don't grow that well in Iowa. They grown much better farther north.
I am not sure about this, but I think you are right. I have a few cherrys on my farm and I have eyeballed them with the idea of milling them for lumber some day...only they are pretty scurvy trees, as in not very straight logs. So I don't know if I will ever take them out, unless I want to make hockey sticks out of them :). From what I have seen on other farms in the region, my junker cherrys are about par for the course...at least in SE Iowa.

• Deleted by Sligh1
Show…
All of this is really good info!!! Wow- good time to pay attention to certain demand.

Found a nice Black Cherry in the woods yesterday. It might have to get cut & milled as they don’t live forever around here.

Top Bottom