Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CWD

MN Hunter

Whats the latest in Iowa? I had heard another tested positive near Harpers Ferry. 35 miles north and west the DNR is doing a massacre on the deer herd after 3 tested positive during the gun season.

I should have said, the killing is going on in Minnesota. I thought there was a meeting last night in Waukon.

I did hear that there were more positive this year and there was a meeting, not sure where but NE Iowa, there is a plan to increase the sample size much like last year.

I heard they had two, one in Harpers Ferry and the other in Waukon. They were going to discuss another round of extra sampling.

Last edited:
Let's hope they have more sense than the assclowns running the Minnesota DNR. Trying to eliminate the disease by killing 80% of the herd is the dumbest idea I have heard implemented. It sounds like an absolute joke!

My roommate actually helped do the sampling. For sure 1 positive from bow season. Not sure how to deal with it but wiping out the population is not that answer in my opinion

Let's hope they have more sense than the assclowns running the Minnesota DNR. Trying to eliminate the disease by killing 80% of the herd is the dumbest idea I have heard implemented. It sounds like an absolute joke!

Agree. Cwd stays in soil and been around out west for gazillion years. I am far from an expert but also seems like there really isn't such a thing as a cwd expert - just debate, opinions on dealing with it, etc.
so- on this one I simply have asked folks who "know deer" (veterinarians, biologists, etc).... what will I see be more harmful to my farm.... cwd all over in the soil or EHD outbreaks? Hands down, every single person I spoke with - something along these lines (to make this very short!!!)..... EHD could wipe out half your heard in one season. If u have cwd- there's a chance u never would ever knew it was there. You may find a few over the years but it will be nothing in comparison to ehd. 10 to 1. 100 to 1 - whatever - ehd kills & impact vs cwd". So- after watching huge areas get decimated and creeks & ponds smelling like death many summers & fall- I have a hard time seeing cwd impacting like I've seen with ehd.
In all fairness- are there more risks with cwd, human stuff- dunno??? But- to a "regular dude"- I think in my lifetime, based on all I've discussed and read- EHD is the bomb that cycles through causing havoc far more often and far more devastating to deer. That's my understanding or take on it so far. Just 2 cents.

Totally agree with Sligh1! I've hunted a CWD area in WY for 40 years and maybe one time actually saw an affected deer. That was way beyond the "statute of limitations" ago so I can say it was put out of it's misery and we kept hunting. Even out there in mule deer country the relatively uncommon EHD outbreak is far more devastating than CWD. Yes, mule deer can get EHD too.

I must say, If it was up to me I would chance it and let it run its course. Their is no stopping it. Iowa has it on all sides. It was bound to come across sooner or later. I own a small property which happens to be at ground zero. I hunt this area and have already noticed a difference in population since the last round of sampling. I have no ill will for the Iowa dnr and appreciate their open forums for public input. They are in a no win situation.

I'm no expert either, but I CAN read. Not to hard to pay attention and look around a bit at articles that are pretty informative. Take a small list of common facts about the disease, put them together and common sense gives you an answer. What they are doing up there is sensless. EHD clearly is a different animal.

had a buddy shed hunting yellow river this weekend, said people were in Yellow River dressed in orange with high powers.. anyone know are they trying to get more sampling or would they be coyote hunting in orange?

Sounds like they wanted 300 more deer for testing. 50 of those from public. Dnr issued the tags to certain people and rifles were allowed to get them killed

This issue will surely be discussed at the IBA spring banquet as it was last years.
Okay we all know CWD is up there. So I'm starting to have second thoughts on why the DNR is killing more test subjects... just to find more which could happen. Then what? Many people don't take CWD seriously and I get that for myself I'm still trying to get enough information on this disease and then make a educated decision on it.

As previously stated, if its in the soil I do not see the point of killing any more deer. Just makes zero sense to me I guess

I will be going up to check on my property tomorrow. I was hoping they wouldn't sample again. I'm thinking so far their strategy is to keep "resampling" in the affected area....in other words kill as many deer in this small area without raising too much stink, and thus trying to keep as many people happy as possible. Last time they had signs up at about every entrance to the yellow. I think it is futile at this point.

I can see banning feeding, or mineral, but any food source on or growing from the ground can pass it as I understand, and for an extended period. And you would have to do it state wide, I believe if you tested any area enough you would get a positive. Just going a small corner of the state would do nothing to help, but then slaughtering most of the herd doesn't do anything either.

Almost 900 deer registered during the special cwd hunt. They could only test 640 because they do not test fawns. 3 more positives were discovered.
Now they are doing a landowner season until Feb 12 where any weapon is legal, including rifles. Unlimited free tags are available. They told my dad even if you fill all your tags keep shooting and call later for tags. They originally wanted 900 samples but now they want more with the new positives but they won't say how many more. Sharpshooters are almost certain at this point.
My favorite dnr quote is they estimated this 603 cwd zone at 6000 deer before an aerial survey. After the survey they concluded over 11000 deer. They can't even get a decent estimate on the total population how in the hell can we trust them to manage cwd.

Top Bottom