Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deck project

gundog870

Premium Platinum Member
This is far from hunting related, but since I'm not on any "deck forums" I figured I would ask you all. Looking at a pretty sizeable deck project and trying to figured out the difference between pvc and trex. It's a two level deck, with each being about 13x25 ish (some funky angles in there but you get the point). It's going to be elevated about 10 feet. I have a neighbor guy that is a pvc decking dealer and then obviously the lumberyard in town sells trex. I'm pretty sure the cost is going to be about a toss up. I think...I have pretty much ruled out cedar because I don't think I want the maintenance and we kind of line in the woods and I just don't think it would hold up as well.

I've heard that pvc can get a chalky look after time, but was hoping to ask someone who had a little experience.

Trex all the way. Far superior and nice to work with. Just be mindful if you are doing it yourself to space properly and dont sink your screws to far. Think it looks the best after 10 yrs hands down.

Another vote for Trex super easy to work with. Like Oct lull said mind your spacing and don't over tighten your screws. It needs to be able to expand and contract with the weather a little.

Last year I had a construction friend help me build a 16 by 16 top level. Lower was 14 by 20 after a lot of research composite is the best way to go for a deck. We looked at Trex but went with Moisture Shield cause we had a dealer in our town. Just follow the manufacturer instructions to the letter for warranty. Beat advice I can give is don't skimp on the size of the floor joists you want the floor to be solid.

If you go with Trex I would put the Joist on 12inch center so down the road you don't get the wavey look.

Whatever you do, just hurry it up. Summer is coming and I need a place to sit and drink ;)

You aren't kidding. I asked my wife why she was in such a hurry to get it done, and her thought was that building a deck was the only way to insure that we don't have a new tractor sitting in the driveway.

Checkout Fine Homebuilding. A few months or so ago they did an article on using steel joist instead of treated wood. It may cost a little more, but will last longer and will be truly level and plumb.

I won't use composite decking anymore. PVC is what I like and what the lumber yards I deal through push. But like everything there is different grades. There is good and bad in both.

Top Bottom