Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Decoys, Pro's and Con's

For those that use or have used a deer decoys, what's your opinion on them?
I've used them in the past and had mixed results but want to try them again. Does seem to snort at them and i've had mature bucks circle around them and continue on their way. Seems all the TV hunters use them with great success so I'm wondering what kind of success others have had using decoys.

I have never tried a decoy personally but I have been told that placement and the stature of the decoy r key t their use.

I've tried one a couple times last year and didn't get the action I wanted but it was a hassle getting it in in the morning. That's the only con I could think of.

I think if you got the right spot and with the right posture of the decoy it could be a killer set up.

I've used them for years in different states: IL,WI, NY, NJ, MD, PA, all with good results. The key I have found is don't let them be a surprise to the deer, let them see them out in the open and make the setup look real. I use a Flambeau grazing doe, butt towards me with an alert Flambeau with a broken 140" rack facing me, in a triangle,upwind, with me in the point, about 12-15 yards away. Also, I have Tail Waggers on both decoys, with the butt end spray painted white to accentuate the brown tails wagging.

Last edited:
I agree with striker. I love the decoy.I use mine torwards the Nov. 15-To Thanksgiving when the bucks are cruising. I place mine in my food plots also so the deer can see it, and 12-15 yards away. I keep mine angling torwards me, so the head is slightly pointed torwards me. Just like our bulls on the farm they prime each other before the big square off. It seems like they always come around to the front to square off.
My 150 incher walked through one food plot into another and stopped on a dime. Looked and went into battle mode. I stood up in my tripod which he didn't even notice me doing. He came around to the front and was perfectly broad side. Smoked him.
My 145 inch 9 pointer I killed at 2 in the afternoon, he was cruising. I had the decoy about 15 yards away in a small opening in the timber inwhich he would have to walk close by. He came up around a curve looked at the decoy looked at me. Went back and forth finally he settled down and went into I am going to destroy you mode. I smoked him at 15 yards and he ran 18 yards and was furious. He came to within nose touching with the decoy with blood running out of 3 holes the pass through and out of his mouth and I mean a lot. He fell over and just about knocked the decoy over.
Another time I had my buck tag used and I had a doe tag. It was January a few years back cold and snow I thought what the heck lets take the decoy. I had no does come near me but I had 3 bucks come right up to it including a dandy 8 pointer. I did have the antlers on him.
Another thing I do is save the glands on rut bucks and tie them to the back legs.
I also spray the decoy down with scent killer, and on the face and tail area spray it with buck urine.
I also take the antlers the decoy comes with and give him a 2 year old spread and I usually have 1 ear ahead and 1 back. The only thing that really sucks is dragging it in and out of the timber. :(
If you have a lot of bucks be prepared to get out and reassemble the decoy it happens.
Have fun its a blast!!

I loved mine so much that I just sold it today. I've had snorters & lookers. But no one wanted to be friends w/ the decoy. And I've had guys video my bobbin head decoy from their truck which always ruined the hunt.

I've used them for years in different states: IL,WI, NY, NJ, MD, PA, all with good results. The key I have found is don't let them be a surprise to the deer, let them see them out in the open and make the setup look real. I use a Flambeau grazing doe, butt towards me with an alert Flambeau with a broken 140" rack facing me, in a triangle,upwind, with me in the point, about 12-15 yards away. Also, I have Tail Waggers on both decoys, with the butt end spray painted white to accentuate the brown tails wagging.

I've heard the same thing, don't surprise them. I've got a spot on the edge of a field that seems to be a central location for turkey and deer. We setup a blind in that spot and had 3 birds in 3 trips. Total hunting time 5-6 hours. I'm thinking that location wise, it may have the same draw for deer. I just might try this. If it has the same very limited success as i've had in the past, there will be a decoy for sale in the classifieds....cheap!

I don't use a decoy anymore but when I did I had the best luck with a doe decoy. Bucks of all sizes were scared of my buck decoy.

camo658 said:
Has anyone used a Deer target for a decoy? If so, what were your experiences with it?

My brother in law has found his 3D target knocked over in his yard a couple of times in the past. We assume it was a curious buck passing through.

Fox Valley Hunter said:
My brother in law has found his 3D target knocked over in his yard a couple of times in the past. We assume it was a curious buck passing through.

My neighbor has a ragged old target buck he keeps out year around. At least once a fall it gets thrashed. It is no less than 20 yards off his back porch.

I tried a half-racked buck decoy last year with zero results. Bucks would instantly turn away back to the timber and does wouldn't get within 80 yards if it. Has the realistic skin and moving tail but it didn't help. It is crazy how real that thing looks. If I try it this year I'll probably go with a bedded doe and stand him above her.

Top Bottom