Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer eating pigweed

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
Was doing chores on farm today. I noticed every single pigweed is browsed HEAVILY. Pigweed in soybean field.... far preferred over beans. I've noticed this before but not to this extent.... based on browse it like like candy to them.

Pigweed foodplots on deck! Haha

You should be drawn and quartered for even thinking that.....
Deer are amazing creatures in what they eat and when they prefer certain plants.

I never would have thought it. Yuck.

I get a kick out of watching them eat locust tree seed pods when deep snow covers most other browse. Crunch, crunch, crunch. Like a long potato chip.

They love it. Pigweed & waterhemp. They also eat giant ragweed hard. The list of forbs they eat has to be huge. Too bad those “weeds” have no fall appeal for eating.

They love it. Pigweed & waterhemp. They also eat giant ragweed hard. The list of forbs they eat has to be huge. Too bad those “weeds” have no fall appeal for eating.
Do when do they quit hitting the weeds ? The reason I ask is I have short soybeans with weeds, clover, alfalfa mixed in. I’m thinking of just letting it ride. No spray . High deer density (Minnesota) . Like 20-25 deer per sit.

Beans didn’t take real well..They will hammer it to nothing if I kill the weeds I think ?

Any advice …

Do when do they quit hitting the weeds ? The reason I ask is I have short soybeans with weeds, clover, alfalfa mixed in. I’m thinking of just letting it ride. No spray . High deer density (Minnesota) . Like 20-25 deer per sit.

Beans didn’t take real well..They will hammer it to nothing if I kill the weeds I think ?

Any advice …
When they dry out & go to seed. Game over. Probably have another 30 days of deer nipping them & done.
Clover & alfalfa- clearly a different game ;). Deer chow all fall…. really…. All winter & first thing in spring to green up.

Beans didn’t take real well.. They will hammer it to nothing if I kill the weeds I think ?

Any advice …
From experience, if you hunt the late season you'll kick yourself in the a** for not having something other than a dried out and gone weed plot. I'm disking under several small non RR alfalfa plots that I can't keep up with the weeds in anymore. This fall planting turnips early Aug and back in RR alfalfa next spring.

From experience, if you hunt the late season you'll kick yourself in the a** for not having something other than a dried out and gone weed plot. I'm disking under several small non RR alfalfa plots that I can't keep up with the weeds in anymore. This fall planting turnips early Aug and back in RR alfalfa next spring.

I had my guy take the last cutting on my alfalfa early last year in hope that it would grow back enough to be a mid and late season food plot for me. It grew back nicely, but it turns out that alfalfa dies off and dries up as soon as it freezes. Making it suck as a mid to late season food plot. I was so disappointed.

I had my guy take the last cutting on my alfalfa early last year in hope that it would grow back enough to be a mid and late season food plot for me. It grew back nicely, but it turns out that alfalfa dies off and dries up as soon as it freezes. Making it suck as a mid to late season food plot. I was so disappointed.

You likely have a variety with low winter hardiness. The Ameristand #480HVXRR I started planting more recently stayed green through winter. I was surprised to see the deer pawing at the ground and seeing green well into winter.

FWIW, I think the notion that you may not have a real winter hardy variety established as mentioned by SB3 is likely valid FWIW. Even though fields of clover and alfalfa are normally nibbled down to the dirt by say mid-Feb...I am also struck that on a drive over to Pella, IA, last year to pick up a blind from Buck Hollow/Boyd...every deer I saw that afternoon was in an alfalfa field. This was in mid-to-late March as I recall.

Reactions: SB3
Thanks guys. When I need to reestablish my stand, I'll go with a winter hardy variety. I planted alfalfa 4 times b4 it established, so I went with cheap seed because it was breaking the bank.

Reactions: SB3
This is a switchgrass planting, not a foodplot. The only food out there is pigweed. Wild.
Screenshot_20220719-120957_Spartan Camera.jpg

Top Bottom